Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England Expects (but should it) ?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 276 Guests

England Expects (but should it) ?

This thread currently has 5,806 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner91
June 28, 2018, 9:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,609
Gold Stars: 260
We'll still not manage to get far cause we haven't got a big man to hoof the ball towards. That's right isn't it TheRonRaffertyFanClub?

For what it's worth, given we've got one of the youngest squads in the tournament, I'm not overly concerned where we go out although obviously I'd like us to get as far as possible. The fact that we've got a system and style that is being replicated at every age group, and that we've won nearly all the youth tournaments recently, puts us in the best position going forward that we've been in for a long. Any success this year would be a major bonus but we're looking at a bright future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 38
moosey_club
June 28, 2018, 10:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
We struggled to beat Tunisia...last gasp winner....and we walked over Panama (ranked 55 in world football) ... and now we expect ??

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 38
Les Brechin
June 28, 2018, 10:12am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,699
Gold Stars: 174
Today's game will be a nothing game really with no clue at all as to what sort of chance we do have of progressing further.

It'll be the last 16 game, whoever we play when it should become a lot clearer.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 38
GrimRob
June 28, 2018, 10:13am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,402
Gold Stars: 113
Nobody ever remembers who you played on the way to the final, obviously, a good draw helps but we had it 2 years ago and lost to Iceland.  

I just assume we will lose every round and it's a pleasant surprise if we don't!

Getting to the knock-out phase is getting easier with every tournament. Qualification is a doddle, and with the Euros going up to 32 and WC to 48, we're nearly always going to get to knock-out football every 2 years with the top 2 qualifying from groups of 3 from 2026.

In Euro 1996 the quarterfinals were the knockouts, now there's one extra round and in WC 2026 it's going to be 2 extra rounds!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 38
horsforthmariner
June 28, 2018, 10:28am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,599
Gold Stars: 9
Portugal, Greece and Denmark all won the Euro's with pants teams. There is no reason if we lose today that we can't get to the semi's and then we hope Spain has an off day. Can't see us beating Brazil if we win or draw today in the quarters they've just got too many good players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 38
Les Brechin
June 28, 2018, 10:34am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,699
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Portugal, Greece and Denmark all won the Euro's with pants teams. There is no reason if we lose today that we can't get to the semi's and then we hope Spain has an off day. Can't see us beating Brazil if we win or draw today in the quarters they've just got too many good players.

When Portugal won the Euros they didn't win one game in their group and only won 1 game in 90 minutes during the entire tournament.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 38
horsforthmariner
June 28, 2018, 10:40am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,599
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Les Brechin

When Portugal won the Euros they didn't win one game in their group and only won 1 game in 90 minutes during the entire tournament.

That was remarkable
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 38
mariner91
June 28, 2018, 10:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,609
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from moosey_club
We struggled to beat Tunisia...last gasp winner....and we walked over Panama (ranked 55 in world football) ... and now we expect ??

Was it a struggle to beat Tunisia though? We battered them for large spells of the game. 61% possession, 18 shots to their 6 and 8 shots on target to their one, which was a penalty.

Their goal was never a penalty in a million years and if we'd finished better we'd have been out of sight in the first half hour. Yes you can argue that we should have taken our chances but I'd rather be creating chances and missing than not creating at all, then you've got a fundamental problem.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 38
The_Laughing_Mariner
June 28, 2018, 10:50am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
also we should have had 2 pens, for the same thing we were given one against Panama.
As for the late winner, why were we lucky, when Germany did it, it was "what good teams do".

Super Belgium who are going to go far in this competition according to some have played the same two teams as we have and have the same record, so why are we derided?

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 38
GrimRob
June 28, 2018, 10:52am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,402
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from mariner91

Was it a struggle to beat Tunisia though? We battered them for large spells of the game. 61% possession, 18 shots to their 6 and 8 shots on target to their one, which was a penalty.

Their goal was never a penalty in a million years and if we'd finished better we'd have been out of sight in the first half hour. Yes you can argue that we should have taken our chances but I'd rather be creating chances and missing than not creating at all, then you've got a fundamental problem.

Germany "battered" their opponents, they had 75% possession yesterday and still lost without scoring. Similar to when we lost to Iceland. In football, the best team frequently doesn't win which makes it so interesting!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England Expects (but should it) ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.