Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wot? No season ticket sales thread?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 346 Guests

Wot? No season ticket sales thread?

This thread currently has 23,475 views. Print
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Limerick Mariner
July 14, 2018, 1:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Bigdog

On top of this.. there has been no inward investment, no new directors offering new ideas, no change in key staff for years and years. We are dying a long and slow lingering death if nothing changes regarding the running of the club. There is no doubt that the people at the top have good intentions and work hard for the club, but is their best good enough to take the club forward? Season after season the resulting evidence points to a resounding no. In fact if it wasn't for Jolley and his heroics the club looked like it was going to implode from within. A board of directors bereft of ideas blaming all and sundry around them including their long suffering paying customers who hand out hard earned cash for them to spend in the way they see fit.

We haven't seen any new significant ideas from the board since having having been saved by MJ. The biggest fear is.. as they still don't have any big new ideas in how to take the club forward.. they look like they are riding the Jolley bandwagon and that bandwagon only. They should look at those last five games as the biggest let off that a board has had in the history of the club. They need to use this unexpected period of grace to put all of their energies into finding ways to advance our club off the pitch. If it's beyond their capabilities then they're going to have to look to step aside and make the club as attractive as possible financially and operationally for new blood to take over. The best a solicitor, accountant and a fish wholesaler can achieve may not be anywhere near the potential a club like GTFC could achieve and one day they may have to sit down, take an honest look at themselves and say we've taken the club as far as we can and not be so up themselves in believing that absolutely nobody else could do better..

The harsh reality is that the club has gone backwards in relative terms over the past twenty years, you only have to look at every single Football League club within a 50 mile radius. The old "we've saved you from being a Stockport, York or Darlington" line that keeps getting trotted out is about as boring and pointless as mentioning ITV Digital. If it's ever uttered again as a justification for existing positions on the board, it should be taken as a marker for lack of ambition and a narrow-minded admission of a total lack of ability to deliver a progressive future under their tenure. Managing the status quo of GTFC in its present state should never be considered as an achievement or a justification of tenure..

In 1980 we were, by a comfortable margin, the second biggest club in that radius, and at that time you could argue we were vying with Hull City to be the biggest - certainly if GTFC had got the investment that Hull City got later GTFC would have a very different profile in the game now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 154
ginnywings
July 14, 2018, 2:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,112
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Just to nail the point Home. Today is meant to be the last day of discounted sales so is likely to be a busy and positive one. If you ring the club you can’t get through because all the options tell you the ticket office and club shop are closed even though it is clearly open.

I’m sure the season ticket discount period will be extended but ffs make sure people can ring up.

This should surprise me, but it doesn't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 154
Cloudy
July 14, 2018, 3:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Just to nail the point Home. Today is meant to be the last day of discounted sales so is likely to be a busy and positive one. If you ring the club you can’t get through because all the options tell you the ticket office and club shop are closed even though it is clearly open.

I’m sure the season ticket discount period will be extended but ffs make sure people can ring up.

Another predictable comment. This isn't a one off, it is just yet another example of the lack of leadership, the lack of customer care.
Even if this is known by the hierarchy they won't do anything, they see no reason to focus on the small things.
When I have made similar comments to our major shareholder in the past I just got 'do you know they haven't had a pay rise for x years'. The relevance of his response was lost on me!
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 154
KingstonMariner
July 14, 2018, 6:06pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Cloudy

Another predictable comment. This isn't a one off, it is just yet another example of the lack of leadership, the lack of customer care.
Even if this is known by the hierarchy they won't do anything, they see no reason to focus on the small things.
When I have made similar comments to our major shareholder in the past I just got 'do you know they haven't had a pay rise for x years'. The relevance of his response was lost on me!

I think the relevance of his own response was probably lost on the majority shareholder himself.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 154
promotion plaice
July 14, 2018, 8:27pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah, but you don't need a season ticket to watch games.

Exactly........how does not having a season ticket make you any less a supporter.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 154
ska face
July 14, 2018, 11:31pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,643
Gold Stars: 840
Quoted from golfer
Re Ska Face post-Is it the board to blame as all bar one are really very inconspicuous . Is it that the board all bar one have no say in any decisions made. Does the board all bar one just sit there reaping the benefits of being directors. Or is it those employed by the board who are incompetent ?  It doesn't look as though we will be changing our address in the near future so why hasn't just a little bit been spent on B.P. If your house is up for sale you still have to keep up maintenance with a lick of paint here and there. Doesn't anybody walk around the ground with a clipboard taking note of anything that can be done to improve the spectators lot-it wouldn't take the crown jewels

Think I've written about this recently in another thread, might be the Akinde one, but for me the problem is the relationship between Fenty, and the CEO.

Fenty's constant interfering, his controlling behavior and inability to give any power whatsoever to anyone else means that he isn't fulfilling his role properly, and is blurring the lines of what the CEO should be doing. The board should set the broad strategic direction for the club and the CEO should be running it day-to-day, that includes managing the comms, managing the staff and holding them all to account. Who does that at GTFC? Who are the ticket office staff answerable to? The stadium manager? Who controls the comms? Fenty's got a finger in everything which is both suffocating and allows space for the CEO to hide behind him at the same time. If everything's shite, Fenty gets the blame.

One of the Lincoln fans mentioned the positive impact that a proactive, competent Chief Exec has had at their club (in the Akinde thread). The problem at GTFC is a culture at the top which permeates a small number of key roles - a lack of accountability, a lack of responsibility and a lack of vision. There are areas where the club is coming on, notably in the academy, but what we need now is someone to address the problems that are holding us back.
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 154
Cloudy
July 15, 2018, 7:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Think I've written about this recently in another thread, might be the Akinde one, but for me the problem is the relationship between Fenty, and the CEO.

Fenty's constant interfering, his controlling behavior and inability to give any power whatsoever to anyone else means that he isn't fulfilling his role properly, and is blurring the lines of what the CEO should be doing. The board should set the broad strategic direction for the club and the CEO should be running it day-to-day, that includes managing the comms, managing the staff and holding them all to account. Who does that at GTFC? Who are the ticket office staff answerable to? The stadium manager? Who controls the comms? Fenty's got a finger in everything which is both suffocating and allows space for the CEO to hide behind him at the same time. If everything's shite, Fenty gets the blame.

One of the Lincoln fans mentioned the positive impact that a proactive, competent Chief Exec has had at their club (in the Akinde thread). The problem at GTFC is a culture at the top which permeates a small number of key roles - a lack of accountability, a lack of responsibility and a lack of vision. There are areas where the club is coming on, notably in the academy, but what we need now is someone to address the problems that are holding us back.

Nail on head!
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 154
rancido
July 15, 2018, 11:53am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from promotion plaice

Exactly........how does not having a season ticket make you any less a supporter.

I don't think that has ever been implied and certainly not by me in my original post. It's obvious that for some people, a ST is not a cost effective option eg shift workers ( although as has been pointed out that could be addressed), exiles and others with occasional more important commitments on matchdays.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 154
GtfcGarner
July 15, 2018, 3:05pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,786
Gold Stars: 26
Not renewing mine either will try get to a few games but as others have stated total lack of vision from the board. Just imagine if a player has to choose between say us and Macclesfield same wages ect.. Training ground looks like it’s about to collapse I’m surprised health and safety haven’t had a field day there, Blundell Park is on the verge of collapse it’s just embarrassing. The transfers haven’t really gripped me either the only player I was excited about will be on the surgery table all season.. Hate being negative but I’m a realist I hope that we will pull something out the hat but I don’t think we will be tearing down any trees this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 154
Cloudy
July 15, 2018, 3:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from GtfcGarner
Not renewing mine either will try get to a few games but as others have stated total lack of vision from the board. Just imagine if a player has to choose between say us and Macclesfield same wages ect.. Training ground looks like it’s about to collapse I’m surprised health and safety haven’t had a field day there, Blundell Park is on the verge of collapse it’s just embarrassing. The transfers haven’t really gripped me either the only player I was excited about will be on the surgery table all season.. Hate being negative but I’m a realist I hope that we will pull something out the hat but I don’t think we will be tearing down any trees this season.

IF any pro footballer chose Macclesfield over us for anything other than geographical reasons I wouldnt want him anyway!!

Lack of vision from the board? Now most will know I am very much against Mr Fenty but I certainly dont want him lending one penny more to the club. His loans are high enough imo.
I am not expecting us to be in the automatic spots but I am expecting a much better season that last and that was one of the reasons i chose to renew. I simply couldnt see myself doing anything else on a Sat afternoon especially not shopping with the wife or sitting in the pub all afternoon
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 154
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wot? No season ticket sales thread?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.