2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Hannilowe
June 26, 2018, 4:04pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: -74

GTFC Transfers 2018/19

IN:
Alex Whitmore (CB), Louis Robles (ST), Harry Davis (CB), Elliott Whitehouse (MF), Jordan Cook (MF), Jake Hessenthaler (MF), John Welsh (MF), Akin Famewo (CB) [LOAN], Sam Russell (GK), Charles Vernam (ST)

OUT:
Sam Kelly (MF), Siriki Dembele (MF), Luke Summerfield (MF)
Logged Offline
Private Message
psgmariner
June 26, 2018, 4:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Nice one. Look forward to finally seeing him play.

Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
TheGoalKipper
June 26, 2018, 4:09pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Good news
a 2 year deal means Jolley sees the potential of this lad, and also reflects what has already been said - other clubs have been in for him.

Im HAPPY

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 18
friskneymariner
June 26, 2018, 4:52pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Think this will turn out to be the most important signing of the season.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
Tommy
June 26, 2018, 4:54pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Let's not hype up the lad who hasn't played a professional game of mens football in his life. No need to add un-necessary pressure on him.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
TheGoalKipper
June 26, 2018, 4:56pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from friskneymariner

I was going to say that but i get the feeling that im in a minority in my faith in what this lad could be.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 18
Abdul19
June 26, 2018, 5:08pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,496
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Tommy
Let's not hype up the lad who hasn't played a professional game of mens football in his life. No need to add un-necessary pressure on him.

Nonsense, I'm sticking £100 on him being League 2 top scorer 18/19 (despite his £72m move to Real Madrid in January)

Seriously though, good news for the lad.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 18
moosey_club
June 26, 2018, 5:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,180
Gold Stars: 224
Turn Upto 11 !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThcXEqxI_IQ

Has he really got a work permit ?
Ah!
I got a feeling inside of me
It's kind of strange like a stormy sea
I don't know why, I don't know why
I guess he just loves Grimsby
We got Akheem Rose, and god he's good
Guess I knew that he  always would
I can't stop to mess around
Now Akheem Rose plays for town

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
chipsandgravy
June 26, 2018, 5:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,591
Gold Stars: 35
Anyone actually seen him play for the Youth/Reserves team?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 18
Maringer
June 26, 2018, 5:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,368
Gold Stars: 183
Looks as though we're going to be having fun trying to spell his name correctly, if the OS is anything to go by! I'd assume they are correct.

Welcome to the professional game Ahkeem.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
grimsby pete
June 26, 2018, 5:47pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 221
At last his paperwork has been sorted and the young lad can play and show us what a great player ( I hope ( he is or is going to be.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
Biccys
June 26, 2018, 11:42pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from friskneymariner

I have a feeling he'll be a very big revelation this year. He really impressed at Diz's benefit game, even in a friendly, but he looked lightning quick. Time will tell, but Jolley has seen him enough to offer him 2 years, and thankfully he's with us for a good period now.
Getting a bit giddy about this season.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 18
diehardmariner
June 27, 2018, 7:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,356
Gold Stars: 529
Quoted from chipsandgravy
Anyone actually seen him play for the Youth/Reserves team?

Yes.

The lad has potential, there's no doubting that.  He's really quick, especially off a standing start which can be deadly at all levels. Despite his slight appearance, he's fairly strong too.  I suppose it's what's called lean strength now.

What we have to remember is that a) he's still young and b) because of his work permit status he's missed a lot of vital competitive game time for his age group.  He's played in a few behind doors friendlies and what not but he hasn't been eligible for the youth games or (I believe) the reserve league games.  All the training in the world can't replicate game time so he's playing a bit of catch up there.  

Whilst his attributes are great and a lot to work with, what's impressed me the most in the few times I've seen him is his attitude.  He was hard working and was actively taking on the coaching from the sidelines when it was offered.  His attributes are what has given him the opportunity, it could be his attitude that sees him take it and run with it.

Can we pin our hopes for 20 goals on him? No, probably not.  But I really wouldn't be surprised to see him feature from the bench from early on in the season to increase his confidence and experience.

I notice that his residency status is for 30 months.  I'm guessing that when that comes up for renewal there will need to be a justification for so, i.e played a certain amount of games?
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
Davec
June 27, 2018, 8:17am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Looking forward to seeing him play, we have no idea of course what he is like until he plays for us so hopefully he is worth the time and effort spent in getting him sorted out, How old is he now anyway 20/21?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
RoboCod
June 27, 2018, 8:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
It may have been a blessing overall that his permit held things up, I've a feeling that Akheem under Slade would probably have crashed and burned whereas under Jolley this lad has great potential.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
chipsandgravy
June 27, 2018, 8:21am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,591
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from diehardmariner

Yes.

The lad has potential, there's no doubting that.  He's really quick, especially off a standing start which can be deadly at all levels. Despite his slight appearance, he's fairly strong too.  I suppose it's what's called lean strength now.

What we have to remember is that a) he's still young and b) because of his work permit status he's missed a lot of vital competitive game time for his age group.  He's played in a few behind doors friendlies and what not but he hasn't been eligible for the youth games or (I believe) the reserve league games.  All the training in the world can't replicate game time so he's playing a bit of catch up there.  

Whilst his attributes are great and a lot to work with, what's impressed me the most in the few times I've seen him is his attitude.  He was hard working and was actively taking on the coaching from the sidelines when it was offered.  His attributes are what has given him the opportunity, it could be his attitude that sees him take it and run with it.

Can we pin our hopes for 20 goals on him? No, probably not.  But I really wouldn't be surprised to see him feature from the bench from early on in the season to increase his confidence and experience.

I notice that his residency status is for 30 months.  I'm guessing that when that comes up for renewal there will need to be a justification for so, i.e played a certain amount of games?

Nice one - thanks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
louth_in_the_south
June 27, 2018, 1:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,638
Gold Stars: 94
He doesn’t look like he’s slightly built on that interview judging by the size of his neck !

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
Maringer
June 27, 2018, 2:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,368
Gold Stars: 183
If he's the one I'm thinking about from Disley's testimonial (I think we also had a couple of triallists playing), he reminded me a bit of Sterling. Not particularly big, by no means skinny, but strong in possession.

Hopefully he is able to hit a cow's bottom with a banjo, however.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
friskneymariner
June 27, 2018, 4:30pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
We had two triallsts playing at Diz's  testimonial match,never did find out who they were both very fast,both looked very good.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rose New Deal

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.