10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Grimal
June 25, 2018, 9:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +2,850
Gold Stars: 8
Reading this off the PNE forum, seems he might have family or some sort of connections over in this area. ------------------------------

"Surprised he didnt stay around Tranmere but Humberside is a second home for him and the Grimsby manager is ' a new breed' whom Welshy will be a great asset for".
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 90
Tommy
June 25, 2018, 10:03pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Poojah

Like Collins, I suspect he's been signed as much for his off-field qualities as his playing ability. We certainly seem to be building a team of the right 'types' - the last four signinings in particular (Whitehouse, Cook, Hessenthaler and now Welsh) have all come highly commended for their work ethic and attitude, and none appear lacking in talent either.

All very promising; the only observation I'd make of our admittedly incomplete squad is that we appear to be lacking in height. Central midfield in particular is looking somewhat diminutive with Rose, Hessenthaler and Welsh all 5ft 9" or under. It gives you a good idea of where we intend to be playing the ball next season, but at the same time we need to be wary of a division often influenced by set pieces and ariel battles in the middle of the park.

Agree. Think the balance of youth and experience is just about right now. Or getting there at least. Welsh, Woolford, Collins and I suspect one or two more might come in who are more experienced and are around 30ish. We couldn't have gone into the new season with just Woolford as a proper experienced player. As you say, big roles to play for these guys around the squad, not just with their performances.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 90
RonMariner
June 25, 2018, 11:19pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,010
Gold Stars: 216
Great signing. I have always thought that the strong midfield is the key to a successful team, and with these three new midfielders we certainly look to have some real power there. Real competition for places too.

If we can just get a good out and out striker to feed off these guys we could really be in business.

No doubt Jolley will have someone lined up.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 90
SheepGTFC
June 26, 2018, 2:53am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +283
Gold Stars: 6
Him as Captain with Collins as Vice? Great signing to me!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 90
fiveallive
June 26, 2018, 6:03am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
I'm very happy with this signing generally keeps himself in good shape always been a player to get stuck in, Summerfield leaves and we bring in Welsh.

The midfield is looking stronger now, Rose, Welsh, Hessenthaler, Clifton, Whitehouse, Woolford and Cook num 10 / striker.

All them players hungry and fighting to be in the team.

Just need a back up young keeper, winger, striker like Chris Long and maybe a back up RB ideally someone who can do both RB and Cover LB aswell similar to Magnay but there hard to find.

I'm surprised Dixon hasn't wanted to leave.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 90
Maringer
June 26, 2018, 7:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
Regarding the comment about our aerial prowess in the middle of the park, Rose is certainly taller than 5'9" and, as we saw last season is pretty strong in the air so I'm not too concerned about that.

Never heard of this new signing before but a good pedigree. Let's hope he's a Davies/Collins type of veteran player when it comes to his fitness with age only catching up with him slowly.

I have to say, we don't have much in the way of out and out wide players at the club which ought to give an indication we're not likely to play with wingers too often. My guess is some sort of variation of a 4-3-3 which is fine by me, providing we have the legs in the team to cover the ground which it looks like we probably do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 90
Lincoln Mariner 56
June 26, 2018, 7:30am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,512
Gold Stars: 64
Historically our Achilles heel has been the quality of our midfield hence we have very rarely dominated games and have often had to try and win games whilst having low possession.

This years signings appear to acknowledge and address this issue and I would assume we have all the midfield players we require now on the books. Still expecting a back up keeper, right back, wide man and that elusive striker. Think some of these may be addressed by season long loan deals for Academy players but the striker remains the big mystery and simply have no clue of our targets, however, unlike other seasons how many times have we had knowledge of who is coming in this year? Rumour mill beats official announcement by minutes rather than days so have our good internal sources left the club or no longer in the know?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 90
forza ivano
June 26, 2018, 7:43am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
Anyone else perplexed/ intrigued that we now have 6 central midfielders but no wide men?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 90
buckstown
June 26, 2018, 7:48am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,121
Gold Stars: 77
I'm struggling to imagine what Woolford will be doing next season with the events of the last 24 hours. Sure MJ has a plan but I'm  beginning to wonder why he kept him?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 90
diehardmariner
June 26, 2018, 8:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Seems like a really good signing. Just been reading the Preston North End forums >> http://www.pne-online.net/forum/showthread.php?104754-John-Welsh-AFC-Fylde

Is that our first signing that has come from Preston since Grimsby Town splashed 500K on Lee Ashcroft back in the late 90s?

Michael Keane on loan in 2001/02?

Private Message
Reply: 59 - 90
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › John Welsh signs

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.