Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dembele to Peterborough
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 379 Guests

The last message you viewed in this thread was reply number 71.

Dembele to Peterborough

This thread currently has 16,147 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 23, 2018, 10:22am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from KingstonMariner
He's the only Town player who made me stand up, even when I was already stood at Accy last season.

Good luck to the lad. Can't stand all this Jilted John 'good riddance' stuff. Don't let your jealousy make you nasty boys.

Agree with this. In natural ability he was probably the best at the club by a street but he didn’t understand the demands of the game. So, early on he was playing for fun then it got serious during the bad run, his fitness was dodgy for a while too and he struggled. He obviously did not want another dose of that and wanted to play with better players. Another season here though and perhaps we could have had a real gem and been talking of a 7 figure sale in June 2019.

Yes it is good money and I’m pleased we did well from the deal and there is now some cash in the kitty, but as the advert says- there’s nagging doubt. What might have been for the sake of a few bob?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 79
rancido
June 23, 2018, 10:34am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from Bigdog
I think he could do well at Peterborough next season..

Would liked to have seen what Jolley could have got out of him..

I assume it was MJ that triggered the year extension to his contract. If that is the case then he must have thought he could achieve something with Dembele. All water under the bridge now so good luck to the lad and we got a nice tidy sum plus a sell on clause.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 79
IlkleyMariner
June 23, 2018, 10:35am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,870
Gold Stars: 66
Let's just take the money and move on.
MJ is building a group who want to play for us. We don't want anybody who is not committed to the team.
There is no I in team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 79
MuddyWaters
June 23, 2018, 11:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from rancido

[/b]

I assume it was MJ that triggered the year extension to his contract. If that is the case then he must have thought he could achieve something with Dembele. All water under the bridge now so good luck to the lad and we got a nice tidy sum plus a sell on clause.

From his interview in February, he clearly had his sights set on bigger things. The only reason the extension was triggered was to ensure we got a fee.
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 79
Reverendmariner
June 23, 2018, 12:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +275
I'm sorry to see him go. He was by no means the finished article and had a lot to learn, but he was exciting to watch. I can't see him being at Peterboro for more than a year or so, and let's hope that we have a sell-on clause. Good luck to him, I wish him well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 79
KingstonMariner
June 23, 2018, 12:34pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Let's just take the money and move on.
MJ is building a group who want to play for us. We don't want anybody who is not committed to the team.
There is no I in team.

But there is an M and an E. ME  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 79
Kris2
June 23, 2018, 12:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from rancido

[/b]

Or he knew he wanted out and it was triggered so we could get a fee and not let him go for nothing.
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 79
Poojah
June 23, 2018, 1:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,489
I think this is a piece if business which can only be judged in time, and it will have been hard for the club to have put a value on him. Clearly has bags of raw potential, but equally there was a lot missing from his game last season.

The next three or four years will be interesting - for me he could go to the very top or into complete obscurity (and anywhere in between). A lot of it will come down to how much he wants it; Posh is probably the ideal club for him at this time.

I’m no great fan of Darragh MacAnthony or Barry Fry but their policy of taking a punt on talent from lower divisions is admirable and one I’d like to see us adopt more often. It’s served us well in the past with the likes of Pearson, McKeown, Hearn and Bogle.

Macauley Bonne of Leyton Orient looks interesting in that respect - may be a little on the pricey side for us however.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 79
Zmariner
June 23, 2018, 2:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,067
Gold Stars: 43
May be a good player with decent strikers and a promotion chasing team. In a relegation team he was not suited and did not understand his position too well for me but that can be coached.Clifton was way better in this regard and this , I guess, was why he was dropped. With the onus not so much on him he could be good. For me 50:50 could end up non league or championship, has the potential to go either way. Usually I am disappointed to see a good player go but I am truly indifferent about this one utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 79
Grimal
June 23, 2018, 2:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +2,850
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Zmariner
May be a good player with decent strikers and a promotion chasing team. In a relegation team he was not suited and did not understand his position too well for me but that can be coached.Clifton was way better in this regard and this , I guess, was why he was dropped. With the onus not so much on him he could be good. For me 50:50 could end up non league or championship, has the potential to go either way. Usually I am disappointed to see a good player go but I am truly indifferent about this one utm

There is one major difference between Clifton and Dembele, Harry would give everything to play for this club and wants to be here,don't need to say anymore,only best of luck for the future Dembele.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dembele to Peterborough

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.