Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What will be regarded as success next season ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 127 Guests

Successful season would be
Champions
Play offs
Mid table
Lower end of table
Escaping bottom 2 on the last day
Finishing higher than the gimps
Fenty selling the club for a pound to concentrate on snooker
  View Results 148 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

What will be regarded as success next season ?

This thread currently has 4,672 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
dapperz fun pub
June 17, 2018, 8:06am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,905
Gold Stars: 82
After years of absolute dross are we due a bit of success , ffs it’s been 20 years
Logged Online
Private Message
promotion plaice
June 17, 2018, 8:26am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,026
Gold Stars: 194

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
GrimRob
June 17, 2018, 8:27am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,400
Gold Stars: 113
Acceptable = midtable
Success = top 7

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 23
Grumps
June 17, 2018, 9:37am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +357
Gone for mid-table so my expectations can be surpassed when we finish higher.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
lukeo
June 17, 2018, 9:40am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
Quoted from GrimRob
Acceptable = midtable
Success = top 7

This.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
grimsby pete
June 17, 2018, 11:12am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
I will be happy with mid table but have a hunch MJ will only settle for play offs.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
dapperz fun pub
June 17, 2018, 11:21am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,905
Gold Stars: 82
50 votes in and the general feeling appears very positive  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
rancido
June 17, 2018, 11:31am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,560
Gold Stars: 96
I think at this footballing level the club and the fans should aim for and expect a play off position as an absolute minimum. With three automatic promotion spots and 4 play-off positions then finishing in the top 7 is not an unrealistic expectation.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
promotion plaice
June 17, 2018, 11:34am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,026
Gold Stars: 194

I slipped up and quickly voted for the top choice without reading the other options......can I change my vote to the the bottom choice please ?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
June 17, 2018, 11:47am
Guest User
It's only league 2. We are Grimsby Town. Play offs an absolute minimum. It's time we pushed this club forward as we've been stagnating for fifteen years or since John Fenty arrived - take your pick.
Reply: 9 - 23
sam gy
June 17, 2018, 12:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,466
Gold Stars: 54
I honestly think we are starting again this season. It’s a season of consolidation, with MJ building a base for us to really kick in from the season after. We were terrible last season and this is his first proper season in management In this country.

So I’m going to say mid table. Anything more would be a great achievement.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
RonMariner
June 17, 2018, 1:03pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,633
Gold Stars: 226
Surprised automatic promotion ( i.e. finishing 2nd or 3rd) is not an option?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
RonMariner
June 17, 2018, 1:05pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from sam gy
I honestly think we are starting again this season. It’s a season of consolidation, with MJ building a base for us to really kick in from the season after. We were terrible last season and this is his first proper season in management Jon this country.

So I’m going to say mid table. Anything more would be a great achievement.

I know where you are coming from, but seeing our form in the last five games, and seeing also the first few signings, I think there are definitely grounds for optimism.

Maybe we are all getting carried away, but why not? After years of desolation and pessimism I think we are entitled to some positivity for a change .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
mariner91
June 17, 2018, 1:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,586
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from RonMariner

I know where you are coming from, but seeing our form in the last five games, and seeing also the first few signings, I think there are definitely grounds for optimism.

Maybe we are all getting carried away, but why not? After years of desolation and pessimism I think we are entitled to some positivity for a change .

Are they as good as people are making out? A young defender from a recently relegated side with a decent amount of FL experience but probably not the best centre back in the division. A centre back from the Scottish Championship who was very well thought of but not so highly rated at Crewe. A striker/winger who at almost 22 has only one appearance in the FL and was last playing in the Spanish third division without pulling up any trees. And Whitehouse is a good player but certainly no world beater.

We're still some significant quality away from being even considered for the play offs in my opinion. At the very least we need at least one quality striker (realistically we need two though), I'd like to see at least another quick, skillful wide player come in, a central midfielder if Summerfield doesn't sign and a dominating centre back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
Mighty_Mariner
June 17, 2018, 2:05pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
My optimism levels have risen slowly under MJ's leadership. And I genuinly believe with a few more good additions we can push for those top places.

I know we keep going on about it but if he can yield performances and results we saw in the last few weeks of the season from a squad that went 20 games without a win and finished second in the form table, I have every confidence that with his own squad, and a full pre-season to work with them then we will surprise a few this year and really go for it.

It's the hope that kills you though right?

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
RonMariner
June 17, 2018, 2:55pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Are they as good as people are making out? A young defender from a recently relegated side with a decent amount of FL experience but probably not the best centre back in the division. A centre back from the Scottish Championship who was very well thought of but not so highly rated at Crewe. A striker/winger who at almost 22 has only one appearance in the FL and was last playing in the Spanish third division without pulling up any trees. And Whitehouse is a good player but certainly no world beater.

We're still some significant quality away from being even considered for the play offs in my opinion. At the very least we need at least one quality striker (realistically we need two though), I'd like to see at least another quick, skillful wide player come in, a central midfielder if Summerfield doesn't sign and a dominating centre back.

All valid points, but you don't have to be a world beater to be part of team that can challenge in L2. I doubt Accrington had many world beaters in their side last year. Davis and Whitehouse would seem to be decent signings at this level. I'd back the new signings ahead of the likes of Kelly, Clarke, Dixon and Berret that we have signed in recent years.

A well organised team with plenty of energy and pace will go a long way in L2.  We do need some more signings, especially, as you point out, goal scorers, but things are moving in the right direction and I for one think the glass is half full rather than half empty at the moment.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
HertsGTFC
June 17, 2018, 8:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,906
Gold Stars: 228
Mid table, get the ball down and score some goals I guess is what I expect considering the last couple of seasons at least, real success would be the play offs though.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
denni266
June 17, 2018, 9:41pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +699
Gold Stars: 132
play off`s will do nicely thank you
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
TonySmith
June 18, 2018, 12:50am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +967
Gold Stars: 11
The first option in the poll should be "promotion" rather than "champions." You'd have to be a Man. Utd. fan not to see finishing second or third or winning a final at Wembley as a successful season!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
newarkmariner
June 18, 2018, 6:18am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
I'm looking forward to the new season in my purple shirt and rightly so, we have an exciting young manager who made a silk purse out off a pigs ear last season, but I'm not getting carried away.
For me top half will be a good season but with a few more decent signings and a little luck you never know,UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
RonMariner
June 18, 2018, 11:47am

Special Brew Drinker
If we can produce the same type of football we saw in the Notts County game then we will be very competitive and at the right end of the table.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 23
rancido
June 19, 2018, 6:33am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,560
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from mariner91

It's the sum of the parts together that lead to success and not just individuals.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 23
Grim74
June 19, 2018, 8:49am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from 75
It's only league 2. We are Grimsby Town. Play offs an absolute minimum. It's time we pushed this club forward as we've been stagnating for fifteen years or since John Fenty arrived - take your pick.

We are only Grimsby to be honest (that was hard to type) we have no more right then say Oldham or Tranmere, if we get to the play offs we get there on merit not because we are Grimsby.
Not being funny cos I would of said a similar thing a few years ago but I think now having that mindset and a lot of us do,only puts the pressure on. It's good to see the poll is showing people are being realistic this year, it might just be a turning point.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 23
mariner91
June 19, 2018, 8:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,586
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from rancido

It's the sum of the parts together that lead to success and not just individuals.

Absolutely I agree. However, even Accrington with their small budget had two players with real quality: Billy Kee and Sean McConville. That can make the difference in tight games, a bit of magic from somewhere. I don't think we've got any real quality in the squad as it stands but I certainly don't think we'll do badly under Jolley.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What will be regarded as success next season ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.