WokingMariner
June 13, 2018, 9:22am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +160
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from psgmariner
Working were relegated from the conference. I would be very surprised if they have players to help us league 2. Even more so if our ambition is greater than just staying up again.

Woking were top 10 until about Xmas, they were as high as second at one point I think. They had a Town-like collapse. 4 relegation places means it is easy to get relegated from the NL.

Even relegated teams have good players.

I thought Chez Isaac was outstanding for Woking when they were doing well in the first half of the season. He really went downhill in the second half but he's another midfielder I'd keep an eye on.

Up the Mighty Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 33
Mariner55
June 13, 2018, 10:05am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +237
Saw him a couple of times on TV and he looked impressive for the National League.  With 40+ games in one season at 20/21 and 12 goals he could well make in League 2.  He looks like the kind of young, eager player we need.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
KingstonMariner
June 14, 2018, 1:18am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from cannylad68
The Get Carter film was from the book written by a school friend of mine at Barton Grammar School.

And GY was one of the options when they were deciding where to set the film.

Michael Caine saying 'canna paghk me cagh nerr the maghket?' would have been ace.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
tanga_the_indestructible
June 14, 2018, 3:43am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from KingstonMariner

And GY was one of the options when they were deciding where to set the film.

Michael Caine saying 'canna paghk me cagh nerr the maghket?' would have been ace.

The original book WAS set in GY, I believe.

His name was Ted Lewis, there's a book just been published about him recently.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
The_Laughing_Mariner
June 14, 2018, 5:13am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,040
Gold Stars: 10
I thought it was set in Scunthorpe

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
cannylad68
June 14, 2018, 7:27am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
The book was set in Scunthorpe.

I met up with him in London after leaving school.

He decided to sell the book rights because he needed the money, not knowing what a success it would turn out to be.

In later years returned to Barton.

Died young.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
Croxton
June 14, 2018, 8:31am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Something for me to chat about at the Barton Grammar School reunion in September! Problem is, the old scholars planning this event have booked a hotel for 12.00 o'clock on a Saturday. Could be a brief visit!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
rancido
June 15, 2018, 12:35pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from Superdan147
Really hope we are in for Charlie carter this summer. Spent the season with our new number 2 Anthony Limbrick at Woking and looks/sounds a real prospect. 21 year old attacking midfielder who came through their ranks and who scored 12 goals in 43 appearances for them in the national league last year. Their fans rate him highly and is currently out of contract although they’ve offered him another deal so compensation would be needed.

Looks good on the ball, strong, and obviously has an eye for goal. There is a lovely 6 minute video on YouTube showing his goals, assists and general good play. Certainly ticks the boxes in terms of the athletism and age MJ is keen on. Also seems a very level headed and intelligent lad listening to some of his interviews. Spoke highly of Limbrick in them. We desperately need a creative midfielder who can chip in with 10 or so goals. Really hope we can get him!

I may be missing something but if he is out of contract why would compensation be needed ?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
Mighty_Mariner
June 15, 2018, 12:47pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from rancido

I may be missing something but if he is out of contract why would compensation be needed ?

Because of his age... Think its classed as compensation for his development.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
Limerick Mariner
June 15, 2018, 4:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.55
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,553
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from cannylad68
The book was set in Scunthorpe.

I met up with him in London after leaving school.

He decided to sell the book rights because he needed the money, not knowing what a success it would turn out to be.

In later years returned to Barton.

Died young.

Yes Scunny and where Jack dies is out at the gravel pits out past App Frod Steelworks. The pub outside the station (in the film Jack ask for a straight glass and stares down the locals) must be the Bridge Hotel - I expect its kicked off in there a few times with Town fans. Cracking film, I've watched it so many times I can quote most of the dialogue - kids think it's very strange, that and Tora Tora Tora (where I quote Japanese of course...)

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Charlie carter

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.