This thread currently has 4,985 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Mariner55
June 11, 2018, 3:42pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +237

Found this - gives something of an insight into his thinking.  He sounds like exactly what we need.  Clearly more than a couple-of-laps-around-the-track man!

(for those of you on Twitter he's @adamforrest1)

http://www.footballfitfed.com/.....;utm_campaign=buffer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Nelly GTFC
June 11, 2018, 3:44pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +24 / -6
Approval: +2,694
Gold Stars: 30
From when he joined AFC Eskilstuna.

[youtube]_FFgz_x6Yzs[/youtube]

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
Mariner55
June 11, 2018, 3:53pm
Beer Drinker
I think he could well turn out to be our most important close season signing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
forza ivano
June 11, 2018, 4:06pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,136
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Mariner55

Found this - gives something of an insight into his thinking.  He sounds like exactly what we need.  Clearly more than a couple-of-laps-around-the-track man!

Athletics followers will remember Charlie Francis as the infamous coach of Ben Johnson.
Dan Pfaff is an excellent coach , best known here for coaching Greg Rutherford. What he doesn't know about jumping and vaulting isn't worth knowing!
given his Forrest's background and influences its going to be an interesting pre season. the players will have a lot to learn i suspect
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
RonMariner
June 11, 2018, 4:21pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,007
Gold Stars: 216
The revolution has begun.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
Roast Em Bobby
June 11, 2018, 4:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,706
Gold Stars: 43
might put an old stager like Collins off renewing  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
moosey_club
June 11, 2018, 4:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
bigger thinking from the club with this appointment , moving up from Woods to a Forrest shows ambition ....

i'll get me coat.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 11, 2018, 5:06pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Mariner55

Would you translate it into English please.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
Mariner55
June 11, 2018, 6:24pm
Beer Drinker
I think that was the English version but will check
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
KingstonMariner
June 11, 2018, 6:32pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from moosey_club
bigger thinking from the club with this appointment , moving up from Woods to a Forrest shows ambition ....

i'll get me coat.  

Where does a Groves fit into this?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 11, 2018, 7:15pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Mariner55
I think that was the English version but will check

Well, I would consider myself to be well educated to writing and speaking but what he is saying is 90% jargon and waffle and trying to impress with it. The misuse of words like “population” is just irritating and completely unnecessary. Surely he is educated enough to use plain English to explain what he thinks and wants to do?

No doubt sports science is becoming more important as time goes on but it helps if it is explained properly. Perhaps he will be encouraged to do this in a GT interview in the next day or two. He talks the talk and I do hope he walks the walk, he certainly cannot be any less effective than our last computer/video whizz-kid.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
forza ivano
June 11, 2018, 8:33pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,136
Gold Stars: 265

Well, I would consider myself to be well educated to writing and speaking but what he is saying is 90% jargon and waffle and trying to impress with it. The misuse of words like “population” is just irritating and completely unnecessary. Surely he is educated enough to use plain English to explain what he thinks and wants to do?

No doubt sports science is becoming more important as time goes on but it helps if it is explained properly. Perhaps he will be encouraged to do this in a GT interview in the next day or two. He talks the talk and I do hope he walks the walk, he certainly cannot be any less effective than our last computer/video whizz-kid.

Tbf  the blog was a conversation between 2 coaches ,so is likely to full of jargon and industry- speak ,much the same if 2 computer geeks were speaking to eac other
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
joe56
June 11, 2018, 9:04pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3

No doubt sports science is becoming more important as time goes with on but it helps if it is explained properly. Perhaps he will be encouraged to do this in a GT interview in the next day or two. He talks the talk and I do hope he walks the walk, he certainly cannot be any less effective than our last computer/video whizz-kid.

He did not misuse the word ‘population’. He used it in a scientific sense in a conversation with a colleague who will have readily understand what he meant. If asked to explain it to others in non-technical terms, I’m sure he could oblige. The fact is that performance analytics are widely applied with conspicuous success in sport as well as the business context nowadays, and should not be ignored. I think it’s great that Town may be about to catch up with many of their rivals in this respect.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 11, 2018, 10:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from joe56

He did not misuse the word ‘population’. He used it in a scientific sense in a conversation with a colleague who will have readily understand what he meant. If asked to explain it to others in non-technical terms, I’m sure he could oblige. The fact is that performance analytics are widely applied with conspicuous success in sport as well as the business context nowadays, and should not be ignored. I think it’s great that Town may be about to catch up with many of their rivals in this respect.

Cobblers. The use of the word populations in statistics is indeed part of the recognised vocabulary of the discipline. His use of it as a way of saying different groups of athletes is just pretentious twaddle.

I hope he is good and he adds to management team. My point is that words are meaningless without results.

Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
joe56
June 11, 2018, 11:20pm
Snakebite drinker
Of course all words are meaningless without results. I should have thought however you might just give him time to achieve something before criticising! And by the way, I still don’t agree with you about his use of the term population, but this isn’t the place to get started on that. At least we’re agreed that we hope he does well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 12, 2018, 9:35am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from joe56
Of course all words are meaningless without results. I should have thought however you might just give him time to achieve something before criticising! And by the way, I still don’t agree with you about his use of the term population, but this isn’t the place to get started on that. At least we’re agreed that we hope he does well

Fair enough. I  agree not to criticise ......... if other people agree not to eulogise without giving him time to achieve something.  

By the way, the first sports scientist to be a Grimsby Town trainer/coach was Bill Lampton. He proved that players who trained on sand dunes could run quicker when they got onto grass. Sadly it did not always make them better when it came to using a football.

Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
joe56
June 12, 2018, 11:51am
Snakebite drinker
We must be contemporaries Ron. I too remember Bill. I also watched the likes of Ron Rafferty, Ralph Hunt, Johnny Scott, Mick Cullen, etc. , all high class footballers who I’ve always felt played at a level we’ve rarely seen since. I take your point regarding the eulogising, but I do think that sports science is the way to go on the evidence of results achieved in football and a number of other sports.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Adam Forrest

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.