4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
WesternMariner
June 10, 2018, 3:59pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +875
Gold Stars: 34
I was reading some of the posts on the Michael Jolly thread about how he’s “getting it” and got to wondering if between us we could define what being Grimsby is. Like what is it to be British but on a local scale. Like choosing the best team of the Fishy era what are the character traits and idiosyncrasies that make Grimsby folk and therefore Town fans who they are?

I’ll start off with moaning.

The Grimsby native is not by nature a cheery soul. Like the bloke who sits behind you at BP - never as happy as when he’s telling all who can hear him how this lot are shite and he doesn’t know why he bothers. Many such characters are contributors to the fishy, which if anything proves my point. The reason why this is a local character trait is no doubt because for years there’s been nothing to be cheerful about either in terms of the town generally or indeed the football club. But it’s must be more deeply ingrained than a recent run of form because the same chap was still moaning when Sir Alan had us punching several times our weight. To carry the plight of Grimsby analogy further when we were the largest fishing port in the world and the town was awash with money and jobs, there was a miserable old bloke in a flat cap and scarf sitting on the Pontoon complaining that it was better when the trawlers were sail powered.

On the other hand woe betide anyone who wasn’t born within smelling distance of the fish meal factory saying anything negative ABOUT either the town or the football club - shithole it may be but it’s our shithole and no one else is qualified to comment.

All men are equal before fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Roast Em Bobby
June 10, 2018, 4:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,706
Gold Stars: 43
Self-absorbed for believing we are any different than anywhere else
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 31
dapperz fun pub
June 10, 2018, 5:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
I travel a fair bit and when I’m passing through caistor on the 46 and see the dock tower ..flying into humberside coming over the coastline or even coming in on the train passing through the outskirts I still get a sense of my town my roots and anybody who doesn’t like it get fooked
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 31
Ruston AT
June 10, 2018, 5:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +397
Gold Stars: 9
I've worked abroad, had holidays all over the world, met people who have their noses so far up in the air I felt sorry for them. I'm a Grimsby boy, always will be and I so enjoy telling people that my team is Grimsby Town FC to which the comment usually is ' why' , they just don't get it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 31
oldun
June 10, 2018, 6:04pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
We are fed a diet of bad news and negative views. Our local so called rag fills its front page with the latest incident gleaned from the police. They fill pages with court reports. This creates the impression that these are the only events happening in the town. Never a balanced view, few good news stories. The majority of people want the town to be better. Good essential council services which affect everyone on a day to day basis. We keep on being promised better with one regeneration scheme after another, few of which have come to fruition. Don't hold your breath for a redevolment of the docks. We just fail to deliver promises. The heart of our town is a no go area for most people in the evening, that just cannot be right. Yet dear old Cleethorpes has pulled itself into the 21st century and attracted a range of businesses large and small which impress visitors. You can be proud to take people there, not so Grimsby. Yet despite being at the end of a very slow line the surrounding area and coast has much to offer. By and large the people are friendly and welcoming and will be pleased to have a natter. We are not great lovers of change or culture as a sizeable proportion of the population scrape by with little ambition. You could say the same about our football club. Which is why MJ is like a breath of fresh air. Just shows what a positive can do attitude can achieve. Well that's off my chest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 31
KingstonMariner
June 10, 2018, 6:15pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from oldun
By and large the people are friendly and welcoming and will be pleased to have a natter. We are not great lovers of change or culture as a sizeable proportion of the population scrape by with little ambition.

Don't disagree with the first bit the the second sentence is patronising. Some might not love culture but there's always a big audience for the arts when given the opportunity and GY has a strong musical tradition.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 31
HackneyHaddock
June 10, 2018, 7:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
I liken the place as a sort of Liverpool of the East; a culture and dialect all of its own, shaped by the sea and the people who made a tough living from it that meant working hard and partying harder.

I suppose MJ will be getting a version of all this across to potential new recruits.  Not necessarily some romantic idea of Grimsby as some undiscovered heaven on earth, but a genuine town that loves its team.  

A young player who wants to do well and improve will be buying into a certain footballing idea by coming here.  If they want to have an easy life with no pressure and be at a safe, comfortable club in a leafy area, then go play for Crawley or Stevenage or Cheltenham.  If you want to learn from one of the best up-and-coming coaches in the game, and be part of a traditional northern football club with passionate supporters, a noisy away following and be at the heart of a community for a season or two, then we're the place for you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 31
Northbank Mariner
June 10, 2018, 7:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Simply put.....you can take the boy out of Grimsby, but you will never take the Grimsby out of the boy....
We are a small town at the end of the most boring road(officially bored that too) yet we always will have the town, the people and a very proud history that remains strong in hearts regardless of where we live....one of the few towns in the whole country where most people support, in some way, the football club....be proud, be loud, be Grimsby!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 31
Ipswin
June 10, 2018, 9:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from oldun
We are not great lovers of change or culture as a sizeable proportion of the population scrape by with little ambition.

A sizeable proportion of the population spends most of its time on the roofs of East and West Marsh houses hurling slates at the police and pushing chimney stacks onto cars parked below only coming down on the promise of free fags and a finger down their girlfriend's knickers in the back of the police van before they are taken away

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 31
wigworld
June 10, 2018, 11:06pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Ipswin

A sizeable proportion of the population

Sizeable? Really?

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 31
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What it means to be Grimsby

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.