2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 9, 2018, 1:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
There is a superb article in The Times today by George Caulkin which takes a England representative player from each world cup since 1950 and tells through interview what they are doing now. It is a really good read that features some well known names like Paul Ince and Francis Lee as well as some less well known ones like Ivor Broadis who is the oldest living England international at 94 and who looks just like Norman Wisdom.

The Times being by subscriptionI know people cannot easily access the whole article which is obviously very long anyway so here are just two of the pen pictures George Caulkin writes.

"It is winner stays on in the back room of Charltons Bar and Jack Charlton is winning. Memory is like the tide and he forgets sometimes whether he is playing the red or yellow balls, but nobody complains. He sinks the black, shakes his cue and crows in celebration: “Duh, duh, DUH!” pivoting towards the wall where a pint of Caffrey’s is sweating cold. “Whose is that?” he asks. Yours, Jack. It’s yours.

Friday, in Cambois, near Blyth. Pat, Jack’s wife, is having her hair done in Ashington and the man himself is tucked away in the boozer owned by John, his son, driven here by Helen and Bill Logan, family friends. On the walls, history: a signed photo of Paul Gascoigne, bawling in Turin, an inscription which reads, “To Jack, my other ‘dad’ ”; a collage and more signatures, the “Boys of ’66”.

In the corner, a laptop is on and a DVD is whirring, playing the World Cup final between England and West Germany. Those golden boys again. Perhaps it will shake something free in Jack, but he carries on potting. Finally, he drifts over, beckoned by those siren images. At 83, he is still gangly and upright, instantly familiar in flat cap. He is intent now, sipping from his glass, swaying slightly.

“There’s our Bob,” he says as his younger brother shimmers across the screen. When the Germans take the lead, there is a little tut, but he clenches his fist when the equaliser comes. He sees himself, tackling. “That was me hitting them,” he says. “My position was centre half.” A few minutes later: “I remember.”

There is a cough from behind and focus breaks. Jack turns. Nine people, ten, have gathered, watching this ageing World Cup winner watching the World Cup he won and for a moment it feels too poignant to bear. Helen steps over. “All right Jack?” she asks and Jack nods. A German Shepherd is snuffling at his feet. “Woof,” Jack says. “Woof, woof.”"

"Bryan Douglas was heading south. He had found out when he arrived at Ewood Park a few days before, a fellow player pumping his hand and saying, “Did you hear the 9 o’clock news? You’ve been picked for England.” Douglas caught the train from Preston, meeting up with Finney, “which was a big thing for me. I idolised him.” It was 1957.

They arrived in London and met Walter Winterbottom, the England manager. “He came up to us,” Douglas says. “ ‘Tom, your expenses please.’ He looked at our tickets. ‘Is that the first-class fare, Tom?’ And I remember Finney saying, ‘Walter, do you want us to stand in the corridor?’ ‘No, it’s all right Tom. As long as I can justify it with the accountants.’ ”

Douglas played every game in two World Cups, Sweden and then Chile, four years later. “It was massive,” he says. “You think, ‘Bloody hell, if my mates could see me now.’ Footballers still lived locally. I was born in Blackburn, my one and only team, a golf shot from the ground. I still live here. England was a big deal. Even going to airports was exciting.” The circumstances were cruel. “The November before Sweden, we played France; murdered them 4-0,” Douglas says. “Tommy Taylor scored a couple. He was my room-mate, just bought himself a new sports car and I remember him going on about it. Duncan Edwards played. Terrific player. Powerful. Happy memories.”

Less than three months later, Douglas saw the placards: “Manchester United Munich crash,” he says. “I dashed home to listen to the radio. The news came filtering through. Awful.” Edwards and Taylor were among 23 fatalities. It transcended football but, as Douglas says, “the World Cup was imminent. If it hadn’t happened . . . It’s all ifs, buts and maybes, but you never know, do you?”

He pauses. “Harry Gregg knocked my f***ing teeth out once,” Douglas says. “He said sorry. I said, ‘It’s a bit late now, isn’t it?’ ”

After Chile, Douglas was dropped by Sir Alf Ramsey, Winterbottom’s replacement, but in 1965, he “was invited to Lilleshall for an England get-together. I thought, ‘Bloody hell, I’ve got a chance.’ ” It evaporated in a friendly game for Blackburn when he was caught by a defender, “and my knee just went. Ligaments. It was the beginning of the end. I never recovered.

“I looked at 1966 and thought about what might have been, that I could have been there. I was very envious. I don’t have regrets now. I’ve had a fantastic life. I’ve been a lucky, lucky lad. I’ve played for my hometown team. They named a stand after me. I played for my country.”

Another pause. “The thing is,” Douglas says, “if I’d only known what was in front of me when I was 14 or 15, I’d have grabbed it with both hands.”"

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Misterton Mariner
June 9, 2018, 2:06pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +116
Gold Stars: 1
I saw Ivor Broadis play many times for Carlisle in the late fifties.
At one time he was their player manager. He actually transferred him self to Newcastle
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
cannylad68
June 9, 2018, 2:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Ron,

Didn't your right winger play in the World Cup, at centre forward?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 18
barralad
June 9, 2018, 4:33pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Best thing I've read on here for ages..

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
ginnywings
June 9, 2018, 5:16pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Brilliant! Thanks for sharing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 9, 2018, 5:26pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from cannylad68
Ron,

Didn't your right winger play in the World Cup, at centre forward?

You mean Johnny Scott? Yes he did but I don’t know if he was selected at CF or was moved there during a game.

Coincidentally, in the NI squad with Johnny in Sweden was Tom Casey who was later to be Town manager responsible for bringing through young players like Jim Lumby and Tony Ford..

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 18
toontown
June 9, 2018, 5:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,259
Gold Stars: 70
Good read cheers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 18
LondonMariner43
June 9, 2018, 7:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
Did any Town player ever play in a World Cup - not while playing for Town (I assume that is a No) but before or after playing for us?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
bedders78
June 9, 2018, 8:05pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +827
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Did any Town player ever play in a World Cup - not while playing for Town (I assume that is a No) but before or after playing for us?

Neil Webb

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 18
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 9, 2018, 8:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from LondonMariner43

[url]https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/meet-late-grimsby-town-great-609531[/url]

Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › They played in a World Cup

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.