This thread currently has 3,915 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
June 8, 2018, 8:30pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

At the moment we are focused on permanent deals but I wonder what importance MJ will put on signing players on loan as well.

A couple of marquee loan signings could just be the key to a successful season and with Jolleys contacts who knows.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
denni266
June 8, 2018, 8:59pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +700
Gold Stars: 132
I think it is better to own your own players ,, loans have there place , but it is not the way i like things.. i think he will be trying to get his own players so its his team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
Abdul19
June 8, 2018, 9:00pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
I don't see much difference between a year loan and a permanent year contract (if there's no January recall)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
Hannilowe
June 8, 2018, 9:01pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: -74
I am always a little apprehensive about loans. No doubt they can be beneficial, but in the long term, and the long term ambitions for the club, I would much prefer to have transfers to the club.

GTFC Transfers 2018/19

IN:
Alex Whitmore (CB), Louis Robles (ST), Harry Davis (CB), Elliott Whitehouse (MF), Jordan Cook (MF), Jake Hessenthaler (MF), John Welsh (MF), Akin Famewo (CB) [LOAN], Sam Russell (GK), Charles Vernam (ST)

OUT:
Sam Kelly (MF), Siriki Dembele (MF), Luke Summerfield (MF)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
HertsGTFC
June 8, 2018, 9:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from promotion plaice

At the moment we are focused on permanent deals but I wonder what importance MJ will put on signing players on loan as well.

A couple of marquee loan signings could just be the key to a successful season and with Jolleys contacts who knows.

I think he’ll pretty much go for “his” players but I would expect one season long ideally Charlie Verman and maybe a couple in Jan.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
Tommy
June 8, 2018, 10:35pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
As Abdul says, no difference really between a season long loan and a player signed on a 1 year deal.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
forza ivano
June 9, 2018, 10:42am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Thought we might have seen vernham coming back on loans as one of the first deals done.was really impressed in the little i saw of him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
wiggers
June 9, 2018, 12:40pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 11
Disagree, players on 1year loans can go back to their parent club once loan complete. Players on 1year contracts can end up without a club at the end of that year. Loans have their uses, but I would prefer to only have a couple max.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
TonySmith
June 9, 2018, 1:22pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +963
Gold Stars: 11
If a player is on loan for a full year he is still under pressure to perform. He is still being monitored by his parent club and  if he is not performing at a lower level then he will probably not be wanted at his parent club when his loan is finished.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
Youngy
June 9, 2018, 8:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,667
Gold Stars: 9
We have to be realistic and accept that a club of our size will have to use the loan system at some point, the difference is how smart you use it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
grimsby pete
June 10, 2018, 11:26am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
I do not like it when we have a long term loan player spending most of his time on the bench,

If we are going to have a season long loan player I hope he is good enough to play every game.

I am sure MJ will not bring loan players in to sit on the bench.

We have promising young players that could gain experience by sitting there.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 11
Mariner55
June 10, 2018, 11:40am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +237
Some managers at Premier League/Championship clubs will see a loan period under someone like MJ as a good development opportunity for a player.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Loan Signings

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.