This thread currently has 4,805 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
June 7, 2018, 9:17pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

Iceland take an early lead against Ghana in Reykjavík.

Wonder if the fans are all wearing their new World Cup tops.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
Maringer
June 7, 2018, 10:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Two decent goals, but for a team with two-thirds of the possession, I don't think we got nearly enough efforts on goal tonight.

I do wonder if Rashford is going to be another of those players who is a scorer of great goals rather than a great goalscorer?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
dapperz fun pub
June 7, 2018, 10:58pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from promotion plaice

Iceland take an early lead against Ghana in Reykjavík.

Wonder if the fans are all wearing their new World Cup tops.

The bastatds
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
golfer
June 8, 2018, 7:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
We seem to have 20 odd decent players but not many who stand out like your Pele or Di Stefano or Messi-we are mainly team players but I've got fingers crossed we might do some good this year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
Jarmo.Is.God
June 8, 2018, 8:50am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
The big difference is that we don't have 'big timers'

Whilst we had a good squad with Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham etc, they didn't like playing with each other.

This team is total different, and full of players that are excited to play
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 8, 2018, 8:53am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from golfer
We seem to have 20 odd decent players but not many who stand out like your Pele or Di Stefano or Messi-we are mainly team players but I've got fingers crossed we might do some good this year.

Don’t often disagree with  you football-wise golfer, but I don’t think England have a hope. Too many who play with no awareness, heads down, flat footed when they get the ball and no idea what to do with it before it comes to them. Look how many of those triangle moves down the wings just fall apart for lack of movement and awareness.

If the opposition sits back and lets us have 70% possession but we only get 3 shots in like in the first half last night, we get nice football and no end product, that is no good. If the opposition steps up and crowds us in midfield like Nigeria did, we revert to type, passing the ball sideways and backwards in midfield till we end up with a hoof over the top in desperation.

No, there are no Messi, Pele substitutes, they try hard and look pretty but they never look like a team that can grind out results in a competition unless the standard of opposition is going to be incredibly poor.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
diehardmariner
June 8, 2018, 9:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,428
Gold Stars: 532
Impossible to say from friendly games if we're a force to be reckoned with or not.

But it's difficult to not hold some hope, if not for this tournament for future ones.   We appear to be getting better as we get more confident with this system and in a tournament once you're past the group stages, which you would expect England to achieve, anything can happen.  

The defence still worries me and I think we lack a real leader at the back.  The obvious one is Cahill but I'm not sure he will start.  There's an error in there, especially with Stones and Maguire bringing the ball out, but to an extent that's probably mitigated a bit by putting Walker in there for his pace to cover.

I'm pleased Southgate has decided he only wants one 'pivot' as he calls it, playing both Henderson and Dier is too negative, regardless of who the opposition is.   In that position it's a no brainer for me to go with Henderson.  The far better footballer, not really a fan of Dier at all if I'm honest.  

In midfield, last night was encouraging but presented more questions than answers for Southgate.  Both Rose and Alexander-Arnold arguably played their way into the starting eleven.  Loftus-Cheek should start for me, he's an absolute beast in there and should be the type of player England build themselves around.    It's a shame Oxlade-Chamberlian is injured as he would have been ideal in a high energy midfield but I wouldn't object to Lingard sitting in that role.  

Kane's a shoe-in up top which just leaves that support role.  I can't see beyond Sterling but Rashford certainly made a strong case for himself last night.  I think the one thing that will go against him more than anything will be that he can make an impact from the bench.  

Until he came on and set the second goal up, I would have thought Alli's the biggest name with his place under threat.  I don't really think he's done enough in an England shirt and whilst the lad clearly has a lot of talent, he doesn't fit in with the ethos of high pressing and a high tempo for me.   Not mobile enough to play the support striker role nor is he disciplined enough to play a bit deeper.  It'll be a bold move but I hope Southgate doesn't start him.

Working on the assumption of Southgate's preferred formation, I would go with the following line-up: Pickford; Walker, Stones, Maguire; Trippier, Rose, Henderson, Loftus-Cheek, Lingard; Sterling; Kane.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
golfer
June 8, 2018, 10:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115

Don’t often disagree with  you football-wise golfer, but I don’t think England have a hope. Too many who play with no awareness, heads down, flat footed when they get the ball and no idea what to do with it before it comes to them. Look how many of those triangle moves down the wings just fall apart for lack of movement and awareness.

If the opposition sits back and lets us have 70% possession but we only get 3 shots in like in the first half last night, we get nice football and no end product, that is no good. If the opposition steps up and crowds us in midfield like Nigeria did, we revert to type, passing the ball sideways and backwards in midfield till we end up with a hoof over the top in desperation.

No, there are no Messi, Pele substitutes, they try hard and look pretty but they never look like a team that can grind out results in a competition unless the standard of opposition is going to be incredibly poor.

When I said I have got fingers crossed I meant "fingers and toes and arms and legs"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
Maringer
June 8, 2018, 10:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Regarding Dier, I think he's a better central defender than a central midfielder. Not that he should be playing central defence necessarily, but it says a lot that our defensive midfield options are so limited that he's one of the favourites for the role. I don't rate Henderson in the role particularly highly for that matter, either.

I agree that Alli should be worrying about his place. He's had another good season for Spurs, but not nearly as impressive as the previous year and, though he's fit and reasonably pacy and can get around the pitch, you'd never accuse him of being a grafter. In the absence of any really brilliant players, I think that's what Southgate is generally going to go for.

I also think that Alli's penchant for tricks and flicks probably doesn't work as well at international level where the defenders tend to be good enough not to be caught out.

I think Sterling will play because of his pace and strength and we just have to hope he somehow finds his shooting boots during the tournament. Oh, and stops attempting to chuck himself down in the box, not least because he's really not very good at it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 8, 2018, 10:33am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from diehardmariner
Impossible to say from friendly games if we're a force to be reckoned with or not.

But it's difficult to not hold some hope, if not for this tournament for future ones.   We appear to be getting better as we get more confident with this system and in a tournament once you're past the group stages, which you would expect England to achieve, anything can happen.  

The defence still worries me and I think we lack a real leader at the back.  The obvious one is Cahill but I'm not sure he will start.  There's an error in there, especially with Stones and Maguire bringing the ball out, but to an extent that's probably mitigated a bit by putting Walker in there for his pace to cover.

I'm pleased Southgate has decided he only wants one 'pivot' as he calls it, playing both Henderson and Dier is too negative, regardless of who the opposition is.   In that position it's a no brainer for me to go with Henderson.  The far better footballer, not really a fan of Dier at all if I'm honest.  

In midfield, last night was encouraging but presented more questions than answers for Southgate.  Both Rose and Alexander-Arnold arguably played their way into the starting eleven.  Loftus-Cheek should start for me, he's an absolute beast in there and should be the type of player England build themselves around.    It's a shame Oxlade-Chamberlian is injured as he would have been ideal in a high energy midfield but I wouldn't object to Lingard sitting in that role.  

Kane's a shoe-in up top which just leaves that support role.  I can't see beyond Sterling but Rashford certainly made a strong case for himself last night.  I think the one thing that will go against him more than anything will be that he can make an impact from the bench.  

Until he came on and set the second goal up, I would have thought Alli's the biggest name with his place under threat.  I don't really think he's done enough in an England shirt and whilst the lad clearly has a lot of talent, he doesn't fit in with the ethos of high pressing and a high tempo for me.   Not mobile enough to play the support striker role nor is he disciplined enough to play a bit deeper.  It'll be a bold move but I hope Southgate doesn't start him.

Working on the assumption of Southgate's preferred formation, I would go with the following line-up: Pickford; Walker, Stones, Maguire; Trippier, Rose, Henderson, Loftus-Cheek, Lingard; Sterling; Kane.

Everything you say is probably right, formations, choices etc.. None of that matters though if your players are like Donald Duck when they get the ball. They consistently are unaware of the options until they gat the ball and that is the first time they look up to see who to pass to or what to do. This is the Southgate version of the Euro passing game. They never move until they have the ball tied to their bootlace. Watch the Germans, the French, The Italians .... their midfielders are on the move almost before the ball arrives so they are hard to tackle and mark and they force defenders to come out and leave space behind.  Our lot are like statues. Watch Henderson (or Dyer or .... ) get the ball standing flat footed, walk a pace, stand still, look around then pass it square or back. How many times in a game does he do this? The only ones who don’t do it are Ali and Rashford when they just flick the ball on in hope.

70% possession and pretty passing in front of the opposition with only 3 shots in 45 minutes gets you nowhere in friendlies or competitions.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England v Costa Rica

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.