Maringer
June 1, 2018, 4:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,479
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Rick12
I know there was a lad in non league that league clubs wanted to sign but he declined preferring to focus on his job and play football on the side due to the lack of financial stability at the lower level.

That was the Altrincham striker, I seem to recall. I think he was running a plastering business alongside playing so he'd have been coining it in!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 71
Rick12
June 1, 2018, 5:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Maringer

That was the Altrincham striker, I seem to recall. I think he was running a plastering business alongside playing so he'd have been coining it in!  
Tough choice I know as many follow their dream of becoming a pro footballer  and end up nowhere in their 30s and in many cases need to support a family.

Hope the players that do decide to give it a go are implementing back ups plans.Some of them dont and create a difficult life for themselves once their careers are over.

Then you look at the other end of the scale at Gareth Bales contract with Real Madrid. Signed a 6 deal which will earn him  150 million !  

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/30/gareth-bale-real-madrid-new-contract-2022

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 71
Tommy
June 1, 2018, 5:47pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Maringer

Yep. Damian Reeves.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 71
sonofmadeleymariner
June 1, 2018, 6:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Rick12
I feel for him in a way.1 year deal is nothing and whats he on yearly £35 -45 k I imagine.

I wish I was on £35-45K a year even if it was a one year deal

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 71
toontown
June 1, 2018, 6:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,259
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from forza ivano
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p068s1pr

latest update from the manager, which has a fair portion devoted to whitmore

yeah says about Akheem Rose re-signing delay being more of a paperwork issue (understandable after last time). So looks like Aarron was posting bullshit on that topic then. What a surprise.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 71
Mighty_Mariner
June 1, 2018, 6:33pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from toontown

yeah says about Akheem Rose re-signing delay being more of a paperwork issue (understandable after last time). So looks like Aarron was posting bullshit on that topic then. What a surprise.

I've been one of the first to jump on Aaron's back previously when he's posted 'in the know' news.... But perhaps the lad was just passing on information he'd been told, regardless of whether it was true or not.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 71
TheGoalKipper
June 1, 2018, 7:01pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from toontown

Im hoping that this lad will turn out to be a gem for us.He's had a good rest and will be raring to go. We've put a big effort to get him and after all this time we are still trying so MJ clearly see's some potential there. I expect us to sign a proven goal scorer as a first option but I feel Rose will score a few for us as well.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 71
Rick12
June 1, 2018, 7:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45

I wish I was on £35-45K a year even if it was a one year deal
Fair enough  

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 71
McAllisters Ghost
June 1, 2018, 9:30pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +42
Quoted from toontown

Not necessarily - for all we know he might have turned down the initial contract offer and then accepted an improved one.  

At the end of the day, doesn't really matter if we end up getting him signed on - be interesting to see where he fits into Jolley's plans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 71
lukeo
June 1, 2018, 9:32pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
Quoted from toontown

July we find for sure, 100% if Rose can play. The biggest hurdle has been jumped over, couple more to go!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Whitmore signs

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.