MuddyWaters
June 1, 2018, 6:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Civvy at last

Codger,  for what it’s worth I actually agree with you mostly.
Why slag the lad off before he’s actually kicked the ball in anger???

It’s the ‘only on the fishy’ or ‘that’s the Grimsby mentality’ bits that get me.  The vast majority  response on the signing is positive. But there will always be one or two with concerns. Some of which seem legitimate. You will get that with 99% or message boards everywhere. So it’s not a ‘Grimsby’ trait. It’s a ‘football supporters’ trait.

Rant over.

I get that Civvy - it's the ' so and so says he's shite,so he is shite' bit that grinds my gears.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 71
chaos33
June 1, 2018, 6:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Except that you misread and jumped to conclusions didn't you. Nowhere did I say he was sh1te. Quite the opposite. I said I trusted Jolley's judgement and that often players click at one club having not done so at a previous. I mistakenly thought it might be of interest to pass on an (edited) assessment from a former playing colleague only to have you and others jump all over that. Lesson learned. Won't do that again.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 71
Ipswin
June 1, 2018, 7:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Forgive me if I'm wrong... But haven't some of our best players in recent years come from non-league?

and so right duffers too, I just hoped we were going to be setting our sights a bit higher thats all, he might turn out to be another Chris Smalling!

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 71
Ipswin
June 1, 2018, 8:02am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Think you're stretching the truth there a bit. He was in the league and got relegated out of it. His only playing time in non league was while on loan from a league club.

He might have been in the league - just! 92nd wasn't it?

Anyway Gateshead, Chester, Morcambe and Chesterfield is not really a list of previous clubs that speaks quality

Lets just hope MJ can turn him into a world beater, after what he managed with some of the absolute tossers last season anything is possible.

Private Message
Reply: 43 - 71
ginnywings
June 1, 2018, 8:08am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
I think some people need to take a look at where we sit in the grand scheme of things, which currently is ar$e end of league 2 and very nearly non league. The players we can attract/afford are not all going to be the finished article and not of a standard some of us older fans remember from seasons past. This league isn't exactly cultured and it doesn't look that difficult to get out of if you get the blend right and work hard. I'm not expecting Paul Futcher.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 71
Lincoln Mariner 56
June 1, 2018, 8:38am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,512
Gold Stars: 64
Looking back at Clarke’s performances over the season I believe the key problem was his lack of pace/mobility. In all honesty he was stilll very good in the air and not the worst footballer we have had at centre half.

However, his lack of pace resulted in the defence sitting very deep with a number of resulting problems and his lack of mobility resulted in reckless challenges resulting in numerous free kicks in our half and a number of penalties.

So a younger version with pace/mobility should be an asset to the way we hopefully plan to play next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 71
sam gy
June 1, 2018, 10:11am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,387
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from Ipswin

Anyway Gateshead, Chester, Morcambe and Chesterfield is not really a list of previous clubs that speaks quality

Tactically missing out League 1 Bury to re-inforce your point? And Premier League Burnley. Are you a politician?  

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 71
acko338
June 1, 2018, 10:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
Everyone will have chance to pass judgement on the first few games of pre season - up to then, please welcome Alex - you don't sign for a Premier club at ANY level without someone having scouted you and seen something there to work with !

I would sooner have an "eager to play and be here under Jolley" younger player than a "give me your cash or I don't turn up" type of player.

People who lose blood and guts on the field, and work together as a team, will always win over the fans - fancy Dans get spotted instantly.

If Disley is still behind the scenes this coming season in any role / coaching experience, and he has had chance to talk to signings, they will have no doubt as to loyalties and work ethics !!

Printed player comments at the end of last season also put forward a change in attitudes that the new manager installed so quickly and the results came good !

Now looking forward to verbal agreements turning into firm signings over the next couple of weeks !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 71
Ipswin
June 1, 2018, 11:10am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from sam gy

Tactically missing out League 1 Bury to re-inforce your point? And Premier League Burnley. Are you a politician?  

I can't find any first team appearances for Burnley (they sent him out on loan five times) he might have been an U23 there but he clearly didn't make it, are you tactically including Burnley?

Oh and by the way Bury were relegated too so they're now L2

I'd love to be a politician if only to intercourse up Ms May and the Tories

Private Message
Reply: 48 - 71
sam gy
June 1, 2018, 11:16am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,387
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from Ipswin

I can't find any first team appearances for Burnley (they sent him out on loan five times) he might have been an U23 there but he clearly didn't make it, are you tactically including Burnley?

Oh and by the way Bury were relegated too so they're now L2

I'd love to be a politician if only to intercourse up Ms May and the Tories

He signed professional terms though! And Bury were a League 1 club when he played with them.

The last guy we signed from Gateshead didn't too bad. And as for that striker we signed from Morecambe...

But yes, agreed on that one. intercourse the Tories

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Whitmore signs

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.