Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 10,000th post - the XI i've most enjoyed watching
Users Browsing Forum
Withnail and 143 Guests

10,000th post - the XI i've most enjoyed watching

This thread currently has 3,719 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
May 30, 2018, 1:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
well, am now at the landmark of 10,000 posts which shows a) how long GTFC have been disappointing and frustrating me , but b) also what a sad barsteward I am by having far too much time on my hands!
anyway to mark the occasion I though I'd select the eleven town players who I've most enjoyed watching. I think a common thread through my selection is that they were generally a step or 2 above in class from what we had at the time

GK) DAVE BEASANT - had the pleasure of seeing him twice during the loan period. Such a good keeper, but great organiser and i'd never heard such a positive, vocal goalie. Easily the best town keeper I've seen in 45+ years of watching Gy

RB) BRIAN LAWS - Laws was a damn good RB and I still smile about him dumping Dave Gilbert into the advertising hoardings by the lower Findus. Apart from that what really gets him in was the pace and quality of the football we played under him. It was absolutely brilliant at times and a step up from even the best of Buckley imho

LB) CONOR TOWNSEND - possibly not the best left back we've had, but he was just such a breath of fresh air when he arrived and put most of the others to shame. Just a stand out figure in a shiite side and was the only one worth watching.pretty good free kicks as well. I wish he'd come back....

CH) ANDY TODD - again it was his organisational abilities which steadied us during a very rocky period.Hard as nails but a good footballer and leader too.

CH) PAUL FUTCHER - just so classy, he made the game look easy. Always a pleasure to see his calm, unhurried ability to break up an attack and then stride forward with the ball

DM) STACEY COLDICOTT - think you had to be an away fan to fully appreciate Stacey, the ultimate unsung hero. I loved to see him sitting in front of the back 4, little headers and tackles, always disrupting things, winning second balls and then calm safe passes to try and relieve the incessant pressure.(Ipswich and WBA were particular stand outs) We were never as good when he wasn't in the team

CM) IVANO BONETTI - inevitably! Simply the best player I've ever seen in a Town shirt and the only player who was worth the admission fee on his own.The whole story was brilliant (even the bad bits!) - 3000 for a reserve game ffs. After 10 minutes at Charlton we were wowed, the WBA goal, Birmingham City ending up having 3 players trying to mark him and still coming away with the ball, turning the excellent Mark Bowen inside out at Norwich were all brilliant memories. happy days

RM) BOBBY CUMMING - my first Town hero. Norman Hunter and Boxing Day! nuff said

LM) JOHN OSTER - just remember a skinny little local kid tantalising and tormenting defences. You just knew we weren't going to be able to enjoy him for very long

CF) JACK LESTER - the one player I really enjoyed watching develop, having seen one of his very first games. The ability to win free kicks and penalties was years ahead of what we've now become used to and always made us snigger with delight when he conned yet another ref

CF) OMAR BOGLE - again he just stood out as head and shoulders above any centre forward we'd had for years. A joy to watch with his pace and skill frightening those lumbering non league centre halves. Apart from the  Wembley goals, the 2 he got at Crawley were pretty good

Subs - Alan Pouton, Peter Handyside, George Santos, Nathan Pond, Paul Wilkinson, Justin Whittle and Ashley Sestanovich
Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
May 30, 2018, 2:23pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,994
Gold Stars: 193

I'd add.... Kevin Drinkell, Kev Moore, Trevor Whymark and Chris Nicholl to that list.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 33
Mighty_Mariner
May 30, 2018, 2:25pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Well done on 10,000 posts Forza.... That's some commitment!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 33
WesternMariner
May 30, 2018, 2:54pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +889
Gold Stars: 38
Congrats on the 10k Forza - did you consider Garry Birtles in there? Was a huge favourite of mine making a big impression on a young fan.

All men are equal before fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 33
toontown
May 30, 2018, 2:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Gotta be room for Lump in that list!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 33
forza ivano
May 30, 2018, 3:50pm

Exile
Quoted from WesternMariner
Congrats on the 10k Forza - did you consider Garry Birtles in there? Was a huge favourite of mine making a big impression on a young fan.

doh! i knew there would be ones i missed!

ps fao grim rob - out of interest how many 10,000+ posters are there? just trying to see just how sad i am.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 33
Townee82
May 30, 2018, 5:02pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +87
What about Joe Waters ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 33
MuddyWaters
May 30, 2018, 5:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Congrats on 10,000 Forza - based on Bobby C being your first Town hero, the one that I would have expected to see would have been Super Clive.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 33
forza ivano
May 30, 2018, 5:22pm

Exile
super clive , joe,lump, michael reddy, kev moore ,paul groves and trevor whymark all great players, but they just didn't get me 'purring'

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 33
Brazilnut
May 30, 2018, 5:38pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from forza ivano

doh! i knew there would be ones i missed!

ps fao grim rob - out of interest how many 10,000+ posters are there? just trying to see just how sad i am.......

you are not in the top 10 mate ......but not too far off ....you can check by going to extensive statistics

congrats on the 10k

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 33
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 10,000th post - the XI i've most enjoyed watching

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.