This thread currently has 3,754 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner55
May 29, 2018, 3:55pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +237
Shrewsbury moaning about how Ipswich may well have made an approach to Hurst before they were informed.  Nothing of course like what they did before he left us!  

Anyway, this is an amusing read:
https://www.shropshirestar.com.....wn-exit-for-ipswich/
Logged Offline
Private Message
pen penfras
May 30, 2018, 8:28am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 71
Did Shrewsbury make an illegal approach? I'm sure they probably did, but I don't remember anything being said about it. Not a lot you can do about it really anyway, once the manager decides he wants to go, all you can do is try and get the best deal possible.

Two things in one sentence stand out to me. "He's got a rolling contract with us. He flew to Dubai yesterday and spoke to the chairman and I after we agreed the compensation".
1 - We aren't the only club that do rolling contracts for managers.
2 - They had to agree compensation. For some reason, people on here seem to think a manager can just up sticks and manage another team when under contract, then get a pittance for compensation. I've yet to see an example where this has happened.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
diehardmariner
May 30, 2018, 8:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 518
I think the Shrewsbury Chief Exec. comes across as either very bitter or very naive, perhaps a combination of both.  There's no way in hell they didn't make contact with Hurst before the official stuff started.  That doesn't bother me, it's part of life really.  In the real world it happens all the time, this is a job to Hurst at the end of the day so why would it be any different?

Hurst is ambitious and you can't fault him for that.  But is he in danger of gaining a reputation as someone who could be tagged as lacking loyalty?  He and Scott walked out on Boston before joining us a matter of days later.  When here we all knew he was talking to Shrewsbury before it was official and now this.

After their impressive season that has ultimately left them with nothing, I think Shrewsbury could be in for a very tough time next season.  Management pair gone, no doubt a full raid on their better players, inevitable hangover from the disappointment of two Wembley failures.    10/1 with SkyBet to be relegated, think I'll have a bit of that.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
promotion plaice
May 30, 2018, 8:40am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188
Quoted from Mariner55
Shrewsbury moaning about how Ipswich may well have made an approach to Hurst before they were informed.  Nothing of course like what they did before he left us!  

Anyway, this is an amusing read:
https://www.shropshirestar.com.....wn-exit-for-ipswich/

Must say it did make smile but this points out exactly why we need to give Jolley at least a 2 year contract so that if he does get poached we receive decent compensation.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
chaos33
May 30, 2018, 9:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Point to Shrewsbury Town.....'Live by the sword, die by the sword'.

That is all.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
Abdul19
May 30, 2018, 10:14am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Quoted from promotion plaice

Must say it did make smile but this points out exactly why we need to give Jolley at least a 2 year contract so that if he does get poached we receive decent compensation.

But then, after leading us to the 2020 league 1 title, he could leave for nothing.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
AdamHaddock
May 30, 2018, 10:24am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,746
Gold Stars: 24
I'm sure Boston fans will enjoy the irony of this thread

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
arryarryarry
May 30, 2018, 10:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
PH and CD coming in for quite a bit of stick from Shrews fans about the way he handled his departure.

Some saying most of the club including the players knew he was leaving before the play-off final and may have been one of the reasons for the poor performance . Where have we heard that before?
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
grimsby pete
May 30, 2018, 10:48am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Hurst has signed a 3 year deal with Ipswich this morning,

So a club rep had to fly out to where Hurst is on holiday or he had already signed it before he left.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
toontown
May 30, 2018, 11:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Penfras - it will be a pittance in compensation if your manager is on on 6 month rolling contract compared to a 2 year contract. And it will make such a manager a more tempting target for poachers, just like us with Hurst after a few months in league football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Oh, the irony

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.