Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wembley attendances?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 361 Guests

Wembley attendances?

This thread currently has 5,134 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Abdul19
May 28, 2018, 2:04pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
Agreed. The 2011 Conference playoff final at The Etihad was £42.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
Gaffer58
May 28, 2018, 3:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
Totally agree with making the playoff finals a venue roughly half way between the participants, apart from the championship one as they should be able to fill it. The only thing is for quite a few of the players it could be their one and only time to play there, but just look at how a clubs attendance slowly goes down as they get there, the day trippers don't go the 2nd time etc. Plus although the EFL would still  want to screw the fans at least travel costs should be less.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
KingstonMariner
May 28, 2018, 3:28pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Problem is you don’t know who the finalists are until early May. Apart from Mali sure the stadium is available you can’t book all the other shite. If you move it away from Wembley you still want to set the venue long before you know the finalists.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
fleabag1970
May 28, 2018, 3:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
I went  to watch Spurs v Man city ... cost 30 for me and 12 for my son ....we were in the upper tier but still a cheap day out watching quality football ... the play off pricing stops the floating fan from going imo ... 25 quid a ticket is plenty

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
grimsby pete
May 28, 2018, 3:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,795
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Ipswin
Why do we constantly do this, comparing numbers to our turn out and putting down other clubs for the number of fans they take to Wembley

It's the only thing we can brag about Swin.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
KingstonMariner
May 28, 2018, 4:01pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from fleabag1970
I went  to watch Spurs v Man city ... cost 30 for me and 12 for my son ....we were in the upper tier but still a cheap day out watching quality football ... the play off pricing stops the floating fan from going imo ... 25 quid a ticket is plenty

Good point. To be fair to the FA, at least for the Trophy/Vase Finals they had their fans day out promotions in recent years.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
Mariner55
May 28, 2018, 5:56pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +237
The reason I asked was I always felt Hurst was leaving Grimsby for a club with less potential in terms of support - and that seems to be correct judging by yesterday's attendance: they had 3-4,000 fewer fans for the Div 1 play-off final than we did for the National League one.  Had we been playing yesterday I reckon we'd have taken closer to 20,000 fans - and Grimsby is a few miles further from Wembley than is Shrewsbury.

As for Hurst: I don't feel especially negative towards him - he did get us back into the League (eventually) but then left with a certain lack of grace.  Having said that he is now a very good manager and I reckon he'll want to move on pretty quick from Shrewsbury, which is just a small town club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
supertown
May 28, 2018, 6:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,439
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from mimma
Does anybody think that moving the playoffs north it will automatically make it cheaper?

In the Manchester arena beer was 5 pence more a pint than Wembley stadium for example.

Prices will rocket wherever they are just like the prices jumped up in Kiev last weekend. It's  market forces as Theresa would say.

Yes I do , a neutral venue would probably half the travel costs for teams like us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
mariner91
May 28, 2018, 6:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,627
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from Mariner55
The reason I asked was I always felt Hurst was leaving Grimsby for a club with less potential in terms of support - and that seems to be correct judging by yesterday's attendance: they had 3-4,000 fewer fans for the Div 1 play-off final than we did for the National League one.  Had we been playing yesterday I reckon we'd have taken closer to 20,000 fans - and Grimsby is a few miles further from Wembley than is Shrewsbury.

As for Hurst: I don't feel especially negative towards him - he did get us back into the League (eventually) but then left with a certain lack of grace.  Having said that he is now a very good manager and I reckon he'll want to move on pretty quick from Shrewsbury, which is just a small town club.

Less potential in terms of support almost certainly. But I don't doubt that they're miles ahead of us off the pitch. They've got a new stadium which will presumably have all the things we want our new stadium to have. They've got a good training ground and probably make use of sports science and all the rest that our blinkered board wouldn't allow PH to spend money on.

Whilst there's no doubt that we could be a much better supported club than the likes of Shrewsbury, until our board shows some innovation and at least invests in the club to put us on an equal footing with them when it comes to training facilities etc we won't ever realise our potential. As it stands the harsh truth is that we're years away from ever realising it and managers like PH won't look at us and think "there's a club who could be so much better" they'll think there's a club who are being run in a way that stops them progressing. Until some big changes are made, it will remain like that.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
KingstonMariner
May 28, 2018, 7:07pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Less potential in terms of support almost certainly. But I don't doubt that they're miles ahead of us off the pitch. They've got a new stadium which will presumably have all the things we want our new stadium to have. They've got a good training ground and probably make use of sports science and all the rest that our blinkered board wouldn't allow PH to spend money on.

Whilst there's no doubt that we could be a much better supported club than the likes of Shrewsbury, until our board shows some innovation and at least invests in the club to put us on an equal footing with them when it comes to training facilities etc we won't ever realise our potential. As it stands the harsh truth is that we're years away from ever realising it and managers like PH won't look at us and think "there's a club who could be so much better" they'll think there's a club who are being run in a way that stops them progressing. Until some big changes are made, it will remain like that.

Sooner or later someone will say that 'we don't know whether the way our club is run or its facilities put anyone off'. So i'll say it now. But whilst that might be factually correct (i.e. we don't know) I'd hazard a guess it has an impact. I think we may just have got lucky with Michael Jolley being available and with no club management experience in England.

As for Shrewsbury, this was their second visit in the last couple of months and it sounds like at the first one they had a lacklustre performance.

And Shrewsbury is smaller than GY.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wembley attendances?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.