3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Oly1987
May 27, 2018, 6:57pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,227
Gold Stars: 22
Seen a few salty people relishing in Shrewsbury's defeat today and mocking Paul Hurst. I for one wanted Shrewsbury to win and have kept half an eye on them all season mostly as the team has Paul Hurst and a few ex town players.
People seem quick to forget he got us back in the football league. People also seem quick to forget that prior to him leaving we'd had a good start and were in and around the playoffs in our first season back. THEN he manages to keep Shrewsbury up and the next season turns the relegation favourites into a promotion chasing team.
I had the good fortune to actually speak to Paul Hurst at cheapside once and the guy had all the time in the world for me. We had a good chat about the club and what he wanted etc and it was a really nice experience for me and my son. I'm not saying he's a perfect manager. He didn't always endear himself to the fans and some didn't like his style of football but if you look at his stats it shows that he's a good manager who gets results and has proved this by continuing to do well and moving up the leagues.

I think we made a mistake in letting him go, not giving him the backing he wanted at the time (something that looks to have been rectified since with regards to backroom staff). He's a good young manager who has only got better. Let's hope Jolly turns out just as good and that we don't make the same mistakes.
Logged Online
Private Message
arryarryarry
May 27, 2018, 7:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Oly1987
Seen a few salty people relishing in Shrewsbury's defeat today and mocking Paul Hurst. I for one wanted Shrewsbury to win and have kept half an eye on them all season mostly as the team has Paul Hurst and a few ex town players.
People seem quick to forget he got us back in the football league. People also seem quick to forget that prior to him leaving we'd had a good start and were in and around the playoffs in our first season back. THEN he manages to keep Shrewsbury up and the next season turns the relegation favourites into a promotion chasing team.
I had the good fortune to actually speak to Paul Hurst at cheapside once and the guy had all the time in the world for me. We had a good chat about the club and what he wanted etc and it was a really nice experience for me and my son. I'm not saying he's a perfect manager. He didn't always endear himself to the fans and some didn't like his style of football but if you look at his stats it shows that he's a good manager who gets results and has proved this by continuing to do well and moving up the leagues.

I think we made a mistake in letting him go, not giving him the backing he wanted at the time (something that looks to have been rectified since with regards to backroom staff). He's a good young manager who has only got better. Let's hope Jolly turns out just as good and that we don't make the same mistakes.

Did we let him go I thought he left?.

To be honest I couldn't give a toss whether Shrewsbury had got promoted or not.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
TAGG
May 27, 2018, 7:15pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from arryarryarry

Did we let him go I thought he left?.

To be honest I couldn't give a toss whether Shrewsbury had got promoted or not.

And he will be leaving Shrewsbury for Ipswich in a few days.
Never liked the bloke so intercourse him 👍

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
jonnyboy82
May 27, 2018, 8:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
Kin ell ...move on.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
oochiad
May 27, 2018, 8:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,647
Gold Stars: 27
Ridiculous, he left, who cares,  move on blah blah blah......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
Freemoash88
May 27, 2018, 8:32pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 2
Sour grapes from alot of people. I think alot more went on and maybe the board couldn't commit fully to what he wanted. they couldn't agree and he moved on. It's football. He's a great bloke and also met him on a couple of occasion's. He said on numerous occasions that the whole 'ear cupping' was aimed at the small minority of fans . He held our fans in the highest of regards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
FishOutOfWater
May 27, 2018, 8:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
I’d much rather Shrewsbury had gone up than Rotherham not that it affects us in the greater scheme of things

I’d just rather it had been some of our old boys who’d tasted glory than players from a club who a few years ago were negotiating their way through administration before sorting themselves out with a new ground on the back of their new found financial equilibrium

I can understand some Town fans wanting Hurst to fail after leaving us as they probably never forgave him for the ‘spoilt’ comments and the ear-cupping aimed at those who’d never taken to him, but I’d have been pleased to see him rewarded today for all the hard work he & his team put in to the past season
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 21
davmariner
May 27, 2018, 9:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,860
Gold Stars: 75
I’ve not forgiven Hurst for giving Vernon and Berrett two-year seals but I wish him no ill.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
Mendonca1995
May 27, 2018, 9:40pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
How quick he got us promoted !!! I’m sure in total it was around 6 years which is a very long time for a manager if you ask me ok he was with Scott for a bit also but I think he got lucky a few times with us not to get the Bullet good luck to him but we have to move on like he did UTM

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
supertown
May 27, 2018, 9:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,415
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from davmariner
I’ve not forgiven Hurst for giving Vernon and Berrett two-year seals but I wish him no ill.

Is that a 2 yr deal but after a few beers 😃🍺
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.