7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
NorthseaMariner
May 24, 2018, 2:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,515
Gold Stars: 11
Haven’t received a pack yet, but moved house recently, so my mail is still getting redirected, maybe takes a bit longer.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 64
promotion plaice
May 24, 2018, 2:30pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,998
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from diehardmariner

I think it's the usual priority on cup/away games and the £20 discount on a shirt.

There's also something in the literature about free non-first team games, which I presume is the reserves but if they still kick off at 2pm I'm not sure how much of a benefit that will be to the majority of people.

Yeah I noticed that although I'm not going to lose any sleep paying £3.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 64
diehardmariner
May 24, 2018, 4:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,367
Gold Stars: 532
Just thought the wording was a bit odd.  

Don't get me wrong, I think reserve team games should be free and if promoted properly the club would probably make more money on tea and coffee sales than the odd £3.  Dunno what the cost implications are with floodlighting etc. but I used to really enjoy the Pontins Reserve games.  Perhaps the club could utilise the facilities at Bradley or the new Clee Town ground to play reserve games?
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 64
Garth
May 25, 2018, 9:55am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
After spending most of last season convinced I wasn't getting a season ticket, the likelihood is that I will show as much spine as a jellyfish and end up getting one in the next week or so.  I'm still massively in favour of a new man running the show but I'm very positive with Jolley in charge and actually enjoyed myself watching Town at the back end of last season, even though it was nervy.

Supporting the players, management and whoever is in charge is supporting Grimsby Town and not the individual, could not imagine not going to matches but hey ho each to his own.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 64
diehardmariner
May 25, 2018, 10:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,367
Gold Stars: 532
But you could argue that by continuing to go under the current regime, you continue to support the individual.

We can grumble all we like about how Fenty runs the ship but if fans continue to put their money into the club and attend games, he'll continue as he is.

Make no mistake about it, the reason Slade was sacked had nothing to do with the protests or the shoddy performances/results.  It was because the gates were dropping at an alarming rate.

I dunno, I wouldn't criticise anyone for going or for staying away.  I'm pretty certain I'm renewing despite a previous stance of absolutely not.  Part of that is habit, another part is because I was entertained and encouraged towards the back end of the season and providing Jolley is given enough scope I think we're in for a good season.  But my renewal most definitely is not an endorsement of the current running of the club from the top.  The disgraceful way it has been run, especially in the last 18 months, will not be forgotten that easily.

Rather hopefully, I have a thought in the back of my mind that the more successful we are on the pitch increases the profile of the club and therefore the potential of someone coming in with enough money and desire to buy Fenty out.   If only it were that simple...
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 64
FishOutOfWater
May 25, 2018, 10:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
But you could argue that by continuing to go under the current regime, you continue to support the individual.

We can grumble all we like about how Fenty runs the ship but if fans continue to put their money into the club and attend games, he'll continue as he is.

Make no mistake about it, the reason Slade was sacked had nothing to do with the protests or the shoddy performances/results.  It was because the gates were dropping at an alarming rate.

I dunno, I wouldn't criticise anyone for going or for staying away.  I'm pretty certain I'm renewing despite a previous stance of absolutely not.  Part of that is habit, another part is because I was entertained and encouraged towards the back end of the season and providing Jolley is given enough scope I think we're in for a good season.  But my renewal most definitely is not an endorsement of the current running of the club from the top.  The disgraceful way it has been run, especially in the last 18 months, will not be forgotten that easily.

Rather hopefully, I have a thought in the back of my mind that the more successful we are on the pitch increases the profile of the club and therefore the potential of someone coming in with enough money and desire to buy Fenty out.   If only it were that simple...

Great post DHM

More or less the way I feel too...

I feel I'd be cutting my nose off to spite my face by not going.... I can't even consider it to be honest, but I'm aware that any money I put in to the club supports the current regime

It really is a Catch 22 and while there really is only one option to end this impasse, we all know the man at helm will not be leaving so this situation is nigh on impossible to resolve
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 45 - 64
grimsby pete
May 25, 2018, 11:02am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
I do not want to tell anyone to go or stay away,

I hope you go but the choice is yours and yours alone,

What I do ask is you think of what your actions might do,

Our average gate before any games start will be estimated at around 4,000,

That will give MJ a budget he has to work with,

Stay away or not buy your season ticket will reduce that budget ,

Renew your season ticket and with the new ones taken into account and our average gate might be increased to 4,500 to  5,000 giving MJ a lot better chance of success,

I believe with a little bit of early season success and a reasonable cup run for a change,

Our average gate will be nearer 5,500 to 6,000 giving MJ even more clout in the transfer market.

Lincoln have gone from 2,500 to 9,000 so it shows what a bit of success can do.

There is no reason we could do the same in fact we would do even better if our ground could hold more people,

So by the end of the season the return of the green seats in the corners could be the order of the day.

I am really looking forward to this season , Come on you mariners !!!!!!!!!

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 64
lew chaterleys lover
May 25, 2018, 11:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,644
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from Garth

Supporting the players, management and whoever is in charge is supporting Grimsby Town and not the individual, could not imagine not going to matches but hey ho each to his own.

Not many of us could imagine not going to watch our beloved Mariners, except in really exceptional circumstances.

Imagine a scenario where your beloved team has had 16 or so years of abject failure; years in non league football and those years that were spent in the league fighting relegation, and sometimes escaping because of other teams points deductions. Imagine the people running the club not having learned a single lesson in all those years of failure.

Imagine every season the fans getting slagged off by the board and the main man doing a passable impersonation of Alan Partridge, and for all that we have to watch the football in a stadium that hasn't had as much as a lick of paint for 20 years.

I think people are entitled to threaten a boycott under those circumstances myself.

The heat is off for the moment because of Jolley, but when the day comes when Fenty will not play ball/wiggles his tie/lets him go too easily/baulks at paying the going rate for players the whole sorry saga will start again.

I will continue to go, of course I will because it is in my blood, but I have every sympathy with those who are still weighing it up, and of course there are a lot of people who will never go whilst Fenty is in charge.    
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 64
ginnywings
May 25, 2018, 3:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,089
Gold Stars: 548
I'm still torn over buying a season ticket as i felt like i was an irrelevance to the club last year. A bullying irrelevance at that. It was all our fault that we were sh1te, and we couldn't attract good players and the reason Hurst left, etc etc. Away fans don't count because they didn't put money into the club. Operation Promotion was a massive burden and it had nothing to do with the buying of Bogle. Basically, give us your money, put up with the sh1te and shut up.

Now i know if i don't buy one, we will have the best season for yonks and i will end up sat in restricted view seating anywhere i can get, and will miss out on first dibs for cup tickets when we finally draw Man Utd in the FA Cup, after i have sat through season after season of mainly bilge, waiting to see some sort of spark.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 64
Cloudy
May 25, 2018, 4:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm still torn over buying a season ticket as i felt like i was an irrelevance to the club last year. A bullying irrelevance at that. It was all our fault that we were sh1te, and we couldn't attract good players and the reason Hurst left, etc etc. Away fans don't count because they didn't put money into the club. Operation Promotion was a massive burden and it had nothing to do with the buying of Bogle. Basically, give us your money, put up with the sh1te and shut up.

Now i know if i don't buy one, we will have the best season for yonks and i will end up sat in restricted view seating anywhere i can get, and will miss out on first dibs for cup tickets when we finally draw Man Utd in the FA Cup, after i have sat through season after season of mainly bilge, waiting to see some sort of spark.  

I agree totally but over the years I've often said that we keep going through the dire performances wondering why then out of the blue you see an exciting performance and say ' that's why I bother'.

I am leading towards renewing in spite of John Fenty simply because I don't want to miss out after Jolley has shown so much promise
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › ST information 2018/19

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.