4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Cloudy
May 22, 2018, 10:56am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from GTFCH
Not a chance...nice bloke but just his opinions on the playing side of things is enough for me to say a no to that suggestion.

Please enlighten those of us who arent aware of his views 'on the playing side of things'?
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
May 22, 2018, 10:59am
Guest User

I agree with him 100%. JF is still stuck on this idea of out of town developments when the world has moved on and most regeneration is about helping inner cities rebuild. As much as I'd like to see a new stadium, I think the PP idea is outmoded and either Freeman Street or the docks would make far more economic sense and also help to regenerate an area that desperately needs some TLC.

Sounds great, I'd love either to happen. But how?

Freeman Street is full of privately owned shops and buildings. The docks is owned by ABP. As far as a location goes, it's a case of having to accept you aren't going to get everything you want. It will come down to finance, an ability to acquire the land and backing from the Council.

Peaks Parkway isn't ideal, but it isn't bad either. It is pretty much in the Town centre, not out of town. The Council seem to be behind it and the land can be acquired. John said he had seventy percent confidence in Extreme's ability to deliver which suggests he has major reservations. I wouldn't hold your breath.
Reply: 11 - 33
moosey_club
May 22, 2018, 11:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from 75

Freeman Street is full of privately owned shops and buildings. The docks is owned by ABP. As far as a location goes, it's a case of having to accept you aren't going to get everything you want. It will come down to finance, an ability to acquire the land and backing from the Council.

Peaks Parkway isn't ideal, but it isn't bad either. It is pretty much in the Town centre, not out of town. The Council seem to be behind it and the land can be acquired. John said he had seventy percent confidence in Extreme's ability to deliver which suggests he has major reservations. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Still waiting for the next announcement that was due in two weeks.......think that was in December.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
grimsby pete
May 22, 2018, 11:03am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222

I agree with him 100%. JF is still stuck on this idea of out of town developments when the world has moved on and most regeneration is about helping inner cities rebuild. As much as I'd like to see a new stadium, I think the PP idea is outmoded and either Freeman Street or the docks would make far more economic sense and also help to regenerate an area that desperately needs some TLC.

99% of away fans will come in from the A180 so it makes more sense to have a ground with the least hassle for away fans and the rest of the Town,

The area has needed updating for years so a football ground and other sports related activities would be ideal,

Going on to the bit where they say Nigel does not get on with Fenty  well who does ?

He has surrounded himself with yes men and anybody who says anything Fenty disagrees with is gone pretty sharpish.

Maybe the Trust could give him some shares it would only be fair don't you think ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
psgmariner
May 22, 2018, 11:04am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from 75

My money would be on Freeman Street or the Docks rather than PP at the moment. As others have alluded to, out of town retail is dead on its bottom and there is a lot of opposition to it. The regeneration of inner towns and cities is where the money is.

Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
monkeyboy
May 22, 2018, 11:50am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Garth lane and riverhead combined. sod the new  cinema. rip the road up, bloody annoys me anyway leading upto that junction the lights are excrement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
malkamalka
May 22, 2018, 12:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from psgmariner

My money would be on Freeman Street or the Docks rather than PP at the moment. As others have alluded to, out of town retail is dead on its bottom and there is a lot of opposition to it. The regeneration of inner towns and cities is where the money is.

The docks option was looked at in 1998, and it was decided the only suitable site would be on the North Wall. Unfortunately, the tidal movements meant that millions would have to be spent on stabilising the groundwork for a football stadium, and that priced the option out of the equation.

There are still plans to regenerate Freeman Street into a commercial/residential area, away from the town centre. It's unlikely that, having knocked down the flats, the council would view a football stadium as fitting into that plan.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
ginnywings
May 22, 2018, 12:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,108
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from psgmariner

But it's not retail and it's not out of town. It's mainly housing and is infill between already established residential areas.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
May 22, 2018, 12:44pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings

But it's not retail and it's not out of town. It's mainly housing and is infill between already established residential areas.

My point exactly.
Reply: 18 - 33
grimsby pete
May 22, 2018, 12:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
I would  like it to be Freeman St,

BUT

I  fear we will be at Blundell Park until I pop my clogs,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Nigel Lowther

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.