5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
toontown
May 19, 2018, 8:34am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
In the interview after the game the interviewer pressed for cowley to say he would spend this seasons profits on more goal-scoring power. Cowley prioritised technical players over goal-scoring in his answer so I suspect lincolns style is likely to evolve. I would assume a bigger squad too cos surely last seasons was too small and that probably cost them. Smallest in the division was it?
More importantly I hope we have a smaller, better quality squad and I wouldn't mind 'failing' in the league like them, as the start of us going in the right direction.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
ginnywings
May 19, 2018, 9:08am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Not a fan of the Cowley's myself and certainly not a fan of their brand of "football", but by every measure, they have not failed this season. We know only too well that play offs can be a bit of a lottery, but from what i saw, Exeter were clearly the better side and deserved the Wembley chance. Exeter have had more time to develop a side than Lincoln have, and were at Wembley last season, so it's not that unexpected. Lincoln have established themselves back into the league way better than we have, but next season we start on equal footing again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 47
ROKERITE
May 19, 2018, 9:29am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
I think the Cowleys have had a remarkable two seasons at Lincoln. Promotion this season proved a step too far and they admitted Exeter fully deserved to progress. I expect them to remain at Sincil Bank till at least the end of next season and that they'll win promotion in 2018-19.
These are exciting times for Lincolnshire football. The Imps are having, if not their greatest ever period, their best times for over forty years. But there's real reason for optimism for Grimsby Town. Providing Mr Fenty grasps this opportunity Grimsby might be making a challenge for the play-offs themselves.
Lincoln City have a very impressive management team in the Cowleys but Grimsby Town might well have their own in Michael Jolley and his chosen assistant.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
Bigdog
May 19, 2018, 9:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from ginnywings
Not a fan of the Cowley's myself and certainly not a fan of their brand of "football", but by every measure, they have not failed this season. We know only too well that play offs can be a bit of a lottery, but from what i saw, Exeter were clearly the better side and deserved the Wembley chance. Exeter have had more time to develop a side than Lincoln have, and were at Wembley last season, so it's not that unexpected. Lincoln have established themselves back into the league way better than we have, but next season we start on equal footing again.

Equal points yes, equal footing no..

They'll have a better infrastructure including new training facilities to attract players..

They'll have a bigger budget to attract players..

They'll have a better profile (play-off contenders v relegation threatened) to attract players..

They'll have a more progressive board than ours to attract players..

If Jolley can get us to finish above Lincoln next season, he will have done amazingly well..

Not impossible, but it will be in spite of everything that's wrong with our club. Other than a "competitive" budget what else will he have at his disposal? At Lincoln, tools wise, Cowley has been given every possible competitive advantage to use compared to what Jolley has at his disposal.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.. what plan has JF got if or when MJ is a success and leaves? With MJ's coat tails no longer there to cling on to, what will our club be able to offer?

Lincoln's first bit of football fortune for ages has been invested wisely into new training facilities, fan parks, playing staff etc etc. Even if we get the first bit of football fortune (other than Bogle) for decades, the first £2m has to go back in JF's pocket.. and if he says it doesn't, it will prove that he's using it as a weapon to remain in control for as long as he wishes to be in charge..

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Jolley can do next season, but the off-field non progression of our club scares the medium and long term crapp out of me..

We cannot put the whole responsibility of the future of the club on MJ's shoulders because he's not going to be here forever. If we do this as fans and not be vocal in demanding progression off the pitch, we're just as bad as JF and the board, because from the outside, it seems like as guardians of the club, it's the only plan they've got..

Excited about Jolley, but need to see a lot more future planning and vision building from this board.. but I won't hold my breath..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 47
toontown
May 19, 2018, 12:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Really good post Bigdog and encapsulates my fears about this boards ability to understand how to capitalise on success. Especially considering their inability to capitalise on the success of promotion last time, and the almost immediate regression to lashing out at fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
KingstonMariner
May 19, 2018, 1:35pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Agree with Bigdog. He sets out the big picture very well.

Getting back to Lincoln and the OP. I can only assume Ascend has been recruited by Rob to provide a bit of clickbait. To say Lincoln or Cowley have been failures is clearly bonkers. I suspect that Lincoln's style will evolve with a bigger budget. I'm sure that Cowley realises there's only so far you can get with that mass air-raid style. And I'm sure many of us wish we had had a smaller, squad of better players - haven't done the maths but I bet it didn't cost them much more than ours.

I have no beef with Lincoln. It's always nice to beat them and take the pish but I don't get the malice and spite that some seem to display. All Yellowbellies aren't we?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
Limerick Mariner
May 19, 2018, 3:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,664
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Agree with Bigdog. He sets out the big picture very well.

Getting back to Lincoln and the OP. I can only assume Ascend has been recruited by Rob to provide a bit of clickbait. To say Lincoln or Cowley have been failures is clearly bonkers. I suspect that Lincoln's style will evolve with a bigger budget. I'm sure that Cowley realises there's only so far you can get with that mass air-raid style. And I'm sure many of us wish we had had a smaller, squad of better players - haven't done the maths but I bet it didn't cost them much more than ours.

I have no beef with Lincoln. It's always nice to beat them and take the pish but I don't get the malice and spite that some seem to display. All Yellowbellies aren't we?

Except those from Scunthorpe...

Agree with Bigdog, to change the shortcomings identified requires strategic forward thinking from the Board - for the GTFC Board that is oxymoron.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
Helgy
May 22, 2018, 5:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
I'd say we have over achieved this season ,squad was small but expecting all the signing in the summer to make up for that.
Earlier in the season we just were not clicking system was changed and we started getting results, this next season its the away form that needs improving a few tweaks and an auto place isn't beyond us.

Season ticket renewals are at nearly 5,000 plastics nah people just believe in the Cowleys.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Cowley’s Failing

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.