Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Well done Exeter!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 212 Guests

Well done Exeter!

This thread currently has 3,287 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
May 17, 2018, 9:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Another club shows that being run by a Supporters Trust can be a success......just saying....
Private Message
mariner91
May 17, 2018, 9:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,575
Gold Stars: 260
"Be cast in our shadow for eternity"

[img]https://thebitcoinpub-91d3.kxcdn.com/uploads/default/optimized/3X/5/6/56c66f9d8c563a34b69216cf74ee4b6bbf361b76_1_690x388.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
KingstonMariner
May 17, 2018, 9:54pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Could never happen here.

According to some.  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
horsforthmariner
May 17, 2018, 10:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
Hope they go up, good luck to them.

Glad it's Game over for the Gimps.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
dapperz fun pub
May 17, 2018, 10:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
I listened to radio Devon before the game and by the sounds of it all is not rosy regarding who actually runs the club and makes key decisions and that’s why tisdale looks to be going to the M.K mongs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
KingstonMariner
May 17, 2018, 10:51pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
1mickylyons
May 18, 2018, 7:04am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Exeter were the clear better side on the night for me especially in terms of actually playing football.Rhead could/should have had a penalty but over the 90 mins Exeter should have had a penalty also for handball and arguably Bostwick a straight red. The Imps never did enough first leg to give themselves a real chance of progressing but that`s still a great effort from them over 46 games to finish in the Play Offs.Next Season they will finish below Town last night showed the Cowley`s have reached their limits with that team and style of Play.The constant haranguing of officials and gamesmanship from Lincoln over the two ties showed them in a true light.The only way is downhill.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
buckstown
May 18, 2018, 8:09am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,171
Gold Stars: 79
You'd better tell Wycombe that you can't get higher with Lincoln's style because they were far more one dimensional. Akinfenwa did the Rhead job but far more effectively and the result was promotion. I think you could argue that Lincoln played better football than Wycombe all season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
dapperz fun pub
May 18, 2018, 8:45am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
I think last year the neutral had almost a soft spot for Lincoln going on that cup run winning matches in the last moments ... but that’s gone it’s clear to see their football is long and their tempers appear short. Cowley and his brother constantly complain to the officials it almost seems it’s a part of the plan, the players likewise. They have developed a almost Leeds scenerio in the 70s we’re pretty much everbody hates you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
oldun
May 18, 2018, 9:17am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
A friend of mine is an Imps season ticket holder and he hates the way the Cowley's perform on the touch line. He was very impressed with how MJ conducted himself at Sincil Bank.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
Maringer
May 18, 2018, 9:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,399
Gold Stars: 184
I know the Sutton United fan we know hated the Cowleys for their whinging and gamesmanship when at Concord Rangers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 15
1mickylyons
May 18, 2018, 10:00am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
I think last year the neutral had almost a soft spot for Lincoln going on that cup run winning matches in the last moments ... but that’s gone it’s clear to see their football is long and their tempers appear short. Cowley and his brother constantly complain to the officials it almost seems it’s a part of the plan, the players likewise. They have developed a almost Leeds scenerio in the 70s we’re pretty much everbody hates you.

Like you say the Imps won themselves a lot of friends last year and the Cowley`s a lot of praise and in my eyes it was richly deserved.As a football fan but primarily a GY fan it obviously suits me to have Lincoln in the same Division but I wouldn`t have begrudged them Promotion.I enjoy the Play offs and it just surprised me how limited they were versus Exeter over the 2 games and also the Cowley`s have disappointed me with there touchline antics and if that`s the norm (I`m not sure what`s normal for them?) I would venture they won`t progress much farther in the game?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 15
tanga_the_indestructible
May 18, 2018, 10:35am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Like you say the Imps won themselves a lot of friends last year and the Cowley`s a lot of praise and in my eyes it was richly deserved.As a football fan but primarily a GY fan it obviously suits me to have Lincoln in the same Division but I wouldn`t have begrudged them Promotion.I enjoy the Play offs and it just surprised me how limited they were versus Exeter over the 2 games and also the Cowley`s have disappointed me with there touchline antics and if that`s the norm (I`m not sure what`s normal for them?) I would venture they won`t progress much farther in the game?

I think that's wishful thinking on your part, TBH. If they continue to deliver success, in whatever form or style they use, they will keep getting employed to manage football teams. Most clubs are pragmatic enough to know that success trumps style in most instances. I have to say, I was very jealous of Lincoln nabbing them at the time. I remember thinking, as I was standing on the terraces away at Braintree in the play-off semi-final, that if we don't win this game, we should can Hurst and get the Cowleys in. On reflection, I'm half glad we've had a torrid time, because without that, we wouldn't have found ourselves with Jolley at the helm and I'm more excited with his potential than the end product that DC and co have delivered at Lincoln.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 15
1mickylyons
May 18, 2018, 10:49am
Special Brew Drinker

I think that's wishful thinking on your part, TBH. If they continue to deliver success, in whatever form or style they use, they will keep getting employed to manage football teams. Most clubs are pragmatic enough to know that success trumps style in most instances. I have to say, I was very jealous of Lincoln nabbing them at the time. I remember thinking, as I was standing on the terraces away at Braintree in the play-off semi-final, that if we don't win this game, we should can Hurst and get the Cowleys in. On reflection, I'm half glad we've had a torrid time, because without that, we wouldn't have found ourselves with Jolley at the helm and I'm more excited with his potential than the end product that DC and co have delivered at Lincoln.

Have you not made the same point tanga? I am saying League 2 or below is the Cowley`s level based on the success so far and the apparent lack of tactical nouse displayed over these 2 games.If they continue to deliver success do you mean them going up the football pyramid to do so cos if so I fail to see where this will happen? Like you had we lost to Braintree they would have been an excellent choice to have come in and got the job done ala Lincoln and at the time a breath of fresh air.They are still young so there is hope they can change what they need to but most football manager`s tend to keep to the tried and trusted formula they started out with to gain initial success. The long ball game as it`s place and on it`s day is still a very effective weapon BUT in the modern era ball retention and good use of it seems to be where we are at or heading.Sam Allardyce has just got the boot for employing these tactics,Warnock never seems to last 5 mins in the Prem even though he can work the magic time and again to get there,Pulis and on and on and on the list goes.Even here at GY just look at the flak RS got in his first stint and before him Mike Lyons the fans in the main in England do not want to watch this crap.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 15
tanga_the_indestructible
May 18, 2018, 11:19am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Have you not made the same point tanga? I am saying League 2 or below is the Cowley`s level based on the success so far and the apparent lack of tactical nouse displayed over these 2 games.If they continue to deliver success do you mean them going up the football pyramid to do so cos if so I fail to see where this will happen? Like you had we lost to Braintree they would have been an excellent choice to have come in and got the job done ala Lincoln and at the time a breath of fresh air.They are still young so there is hope they can change what they need to but most football manager`s tend to keep to the tried and trusted formula they started out with to gain initial success. The long ball game as it`s place and on it`s day is still a very effective weapon BUT in the modern era ball retention and good use of it seems to be where we are at or heading.Sam Allardyce has just got the boot for employing these tactics,Warnock never seems to last 5 mins in the Prem even though he can work the magic time and again to get there,Pulis and on and on and on the list goes.Even here at GY just look at the flak RS got in his first stint and before him Mike Lyons the fans in the main in England do not want to watch this crap.

Er, no, not at all. You suggested that their tactics will limit them and they won't go much farther in the game. I don't think their rather primitive tactics will limit them at all, even if they refuse to change their style (and we don't know yet, one way or the other, whether they will). Pulis has just got Middlesbrough in the play-offs. Gareth Ainsworth has just Wycombe promoted utilising an even more basic style than Lincoln. If it works, these managers will continue to get employed, we're 40 years down the line since the first generation of this style was pioneered by Graham Taylor at Lincoln in the mid-70s and it shows no sign of disappearing, even if, as you say, it seems outdated out of favour. This type of coach is always going to be about, even if fans don't particularly like this approach, though I'm glad to day it's never found favour with our fans.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 15
1mickylyons
May 18, 2018, 11:29am
Special Brew Drinker

Er, no, not at all. You suggested that their tactics will limit them and they won't go much farther in the game. I don't think their rather primitive tactics will limit them at all, even if they refuse to change their style (and we don't know yet, one way or the other, whether they will). Pulis has just got Middlesbrough in the play-offs. Gareth Ainsworth has just Wycombe promoted utilising an even more basic style than Lincoln. If it works, these managers will continue to get employed, we're 40 years down the line since the first generation of this style was pioneered by Graham Taylor at Lincoln in the mid-70s and it shows no sign of disappearing, even if, as you say, it seems outdated out of favour. This type of coach is always going to be about, even if fans don't particularly like this approach, though I'm glad to day it's never found favour with our fans.

I can`t pick any holes in what you have posted here this approach most definitely can still have it`s day as the FA Cup shows time and again.I just think it`s less  effective higher up the leagues and certainly less popular and I don`t want to pay to watch it .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Well done Exeter!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.