This thread currently has 14,022 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Cod Cheeks
May 21, 2018, 8:23pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
There seems to be a serious lack of self esteem, pride, confidence and aspiration.
Plenty of self knocking and blind eyes.
As said in other posts, NEL could be fantastic and if we think everywhere else is different, we must live on millionaires row and even then we'd have to travel into town for council meetings, shopping, etc.
Every town and city has good and bad districts
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 67
KingstonMariner
May 21, 2018, 10:08pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I love Grimsby and Cleethorpes but bar some recent new ventures in the Cleethorpes seafront are, NEL has got worse rather than better over the last 20 years. There aren't simply enough well paid jobs for it to be otherwise. If you have a well paid job then life can be sweet up there, as long as you're not expecting lots of 'culture'.

I've been either actively, or passively considering moving back for about 10 years (including one abortive attempt) after leaving for uni in the early 80s. Schools in NEL seem to be improving in recent years (at least going by Ofsted ratings). If you head into Lincs the picture is worse, unless you are confident your kids will get in one of the grammar schools - again going by Ofsted ratings.

I'd happily move back. Be a tougher ask for my other half as there are fewer opportunities in her line of work. And the other factor is there are definitely fewer opportunities for young people. So my youngest kids would more likely have to move away for careers than they would if we stayed down here. And in the meantime there are lots more going on in a big city that I missed out on growing up. Partly because that's just a function of living near a big centre of population, but also because there seems to be less of a 'we can't do that' attitude in London than was my experience of NEL (admittedly some time ago, but also e.g. on here on attitudes towards a fan-run football club).

So I can completely understand anyone who says they will never move back. I don't think they're being 'disloyal', or 'snowflakes' or whatever other insults some are chucking around that question their world. But I would never say never (far from it). But if the attitude is to be dismissive of those who criticise your hometown, you will never see any need to change it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 67
lukeo
May 22, 2018, 6:58am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
Quoted from promotion plaice

I work for Tesco  

I'm seasonal at Asda... Boooooo.

On subject I left Grimsby 5 or 6 years ago and moved to the south west. I'd move back in a heart beat if it wasn't for having my son down here (with an ex) yes it has a larger % of idiots in Grimsby but actually it has nearly everything you need (I don't drink or clothes shop so don't need pubs or a big shopping centre) there are some amazing people in Grimsby and I miss my family and my neighbours up there for sure!
Oh and nothing Compares to the fish and chips.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 67
lukeo
May 22, 2018, 7:11am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
Quoted from grimsby pete
Just going back to what Grim 74 said about cheap affordable housing in NE Lincs,

He is right the prices around here near and in Bury St Edmunds is just plain silly,

You could buy 2 houses in Grimsby for less than the price of one down here.

I bet  MJ could not believe his eyes when he saw the prices,

We will have one of those he said to his wife.

This. I earn around 13k and my Mrs 5k. Not masses amount of money but should be enough to run a house and mortgage... Oh no, not down here. For a 2 bed bog standard flat you're looking at, £125,000 minimum. For a half decent 2 bed house you're looking at 250,000 minimum.. It's rediculous. We're renting a small 2 bed house with housing association with a court yard garden, £450 a month! My mum when she moved out of Grimsby for a couple of years rented her 3 bed house with 1 big grass garden and court yard garden for £400 a month!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 67
forza ivano
May 22, 2018, 7:49am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,159
Gold Stars: 265
Anyway back on subject you can now watch the first of the interview for free on the gtfc website
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 67
BenBB
May 22, 2018, 1:02pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +843
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Hagrid
I’m 20 something and i love it here. And for the record so what if they work in a factory or at tesco. Very arrogant comment and for that your my TOTW. Every area has good and bad places but your bang out of order to diss anyone just
Because they work in a factory

I'm not dissing anyone - maybe it came across that way, it's good to make an honest living and sometimes there's no choice.

I'm just saying that I doubt anyone really aspires to do that sort of work though - not much room for career progression.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 65 - 67
lew chaterleys lover
May 22, 2018, 2:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from BenBB

I'm not dissing anyone - maybe it came across that way, it's good to make an honest living and sometimes there's no choice.

I'm just saying that I doubt anyone really aspires to do that sort of work though - not much room for career progression.

I would stop digging if I was you. Mind you I cannot be you as I have never lived away; I didn't go to university either (you had to be clever in those days) but never mind, it hasn't worked out too bad for me all things considered.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 67
moosey_club
May 22, 2018, 3:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Add to that list Jex closed in 2017 which employed around 200+ working there in 2005, around 170 jobs lost at Harry Carr Electrical in 2007, 100 jobs lost at Harcros head office at Imperial House next to the barge in 1993 which still had around 10-year lease already paid for in full and purpose built IT support office installed on the ground floor the previous year for the whole of the UK - crazy decision, HMRC tax office closing there 2020-21.

Nat West Bank seems to have less staff in there - two operating a front desk, looks like things are going more automated. Then the likes of Woolworths, BHS, Royal Insurance, Brittania Insurance all closing in Grimsby also. Pearl Insurance still on the go above Toni and Guys?

But we do now have a massive Primark !!!  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolley interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.