7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
PrestwichMariner
May 21, 2018, 8:39am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 5
I left at 18 for university and have lived away now for over 30 years. Settled in Manchester and married a local girl who absolutely loves Cleethorpes. We get over 2 or 3 times a year to see family and the only thing really stopping us from moving back is that we couldn't get comparable jobs in the area. Once retirement comes though it could be very much on the cards.

Wearing badges is not enough in days like these!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 67
ginnywings
May 21, 2018, 9:40am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
So, the consensus is that Gy/Clee suits some people but not others. Pretty much as it is for most places and not all footballers are looking for nightclubs and a Nando's. Macca was a young man when he came here and i often see him strolling on the seafront with his Mrs and kids, looking pretty content.

I like walking and at the weekend, we pootled up to Flamborough and walked along the clifftops toward Bempton and around Thornwick Bay. Stunning place. Today i will take time out to walk up the seafront and up the cycle/footpath to the fitties. There is nothing finer on a sunny day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 67
Reverendmariner
May 21, 2018, 10:16am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +275
I wouldn't want to live anywhere else; OK, I live about 45 minutes away in the Wolds, but Cleethorpes is my town. It's a much more graceful resort than Skeg or Mabo, and has much more of a feel-good factor to it. It was done up about 20 years ago, and there are some really nice places to eat. If you want mega shops then you have to travel to Meadowhall, (although I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than go round there as I hate shopping.) Rural Lincolnshire is beautiful, and travelling a fair distance for entertainment or shopping is just something you have to do. I have to drive 25 miles to buy more or less anything, but it's worth it.

The relative isolation can be a problem in recruiting though, the NHS tell us that it's hard to recruit doctors, dentists or nurses to here, and it has been the same in the past with vicars, purely because it's a hard place for their spouses to find a job. Both Cleethorpes and Grimsby have their rough areas, but then so do all towns.There are more than enough really nice parts of the area for players to move to,

I would have thought it was a two-way process, though; if you want to attract good players, you have to offer them more than a year's contract if you expect them to uproot themselves, move, and become part of the community.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 67
Mariner55
May 21, 2018, 11:12am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +237
I left Grimsby some 40 years ago after uni so couldn't really comment on what the area's like now to live in.  However, for a professional footballer you're a long time retired and what really matters to them is the opportunity to play first team football: I've spoken to players and I'm sure a player would choose first team football at Grimsby over reserve team football at - say - Forest.  If a potential signing thinks they're going to get that chance under MJ then they'll come to Grimsby.  If they have doubts, then they're not the kind of players we want anyway.  From what I've seen of MJ, he is a special kind of manager and probably the kind who'll attract players here.  Let's hope so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 67
Northbank Mariner
May 21, 2018, 11:16am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,390
Gold Stars: 170
I'll put all this into sort of perspective,...I moved from my beloved Grimsby to Beverley 16 years ago, since moved to Hull...The one overriding factor is that Grimsby people are polite, not full of themselves and truly grounded regardless of where we're from...Beverly, full off wanna be millionaires who couldn't really scrape a penny to buy a tramps vest but give it the biggy big boll@x "I live in Beverley, dont you know"....Hull, full of bitter people who think they're the forgotten few whilst bigger cities prosper and thrive....so when jolley mentions about players signing up to "Grimsby way".....It's players to the man who want to feel welcome, loved and really know what a club like GTFC means to town...not just a franchised money laundering machine for the rish n famous playboys of this world....oh, and do leeds, manchester, liverpool, london have golden sandy beaches, where you can take your family for a relaxed walk and watch ships saunter past....Give me Grimsby any day off the week over the soft shandy drinking southerners and the toffee nose mancunians!!..not to mention the six fingered, web toed yorky brigade!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 67
1mickylyons
May 21, 2018, 11:18am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,262
Gold Stars: 54
GY/Clee does have problems but so does nearly every major Town/City and in terms of former players loads have settled here after playing for the Club.This is a very nice part of the Country we just don`t appreciate what we have.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 67
grimsby pete
May 21, 2018, 12:22pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Seeing as there are no football games for a bit lets talk about our Town,

I was born in the Nunsthorpe maternity home in 1948 but my dad worked on a farm and we lived in Riby ,

We moved to a posh new estate in Grimsby called Wroxham Avenue well it was posh then,

When I was 5 we moved to Middlesborough were my dad got a job working with his brother in a factory now that was rough  we have been back a few times over the years and believe me it is worse than Grimsby,

2 years up there and dad saw sense and we moved back to Cleethorpes which was like heaven dad took me to Blundell Park and I have been hooked ever since.

For the next 32 years I lived in either Grimsby or Cleethorpes and went to most games,The fishing industry that was thriving died a slow death and Grimsby started to  run down.

Area's were neglected by the council like Freeman St which used to be buzzing  even more so on market days, there was no money in the town so unemployment just went up and up,

Even Cleethorpes which has one of the best beaches in the country was hit as people went abroad for their holidays instead of 2 weeks in Cleethorpes every year.

So after been made redundant for the third time we decided to move South and boy was it the right thing to do.

It was like  Grimsby and Cleethorpes all those years ago plenty of work and well kept estates and villages.

Grimsby and Cleethorpes are stuck in a time warp and it needs someone with money and idea's to bring it out into the 21 century . The government could help but does very little for the area.

My wife and I are well travelled but we still agree Grimsby folk are the friendliest people about and we both miss home but are more than happy down here since half the family are now suffolk born,( so we have to drop the suffolk jokes )

We love coming back home and having fish + chips down the prom and me taking some suffolk born Mariners to watch a game.

Will Grimsby ever get back to being a wealthy area again ?

I doubt it but it will always be home to us.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 67
cmackenzie4
May 21, 2018, 12:34pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
I was brought up on the Grange estate in the 70’s  and some of the best people i have met have came from there too.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 67
pontoonlew
May 21, 2018, 12:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,723
Gold Stars: 163
I've lived in Leeds for a few years now and certainly won't be moving back for a while, that said, it'd be nice to come back.

After living down south for a few years previously, I couldn't wait to come back up north but for somebody in their 20s there isn't enough in Grimsby/Cleethorpes and we have our council etc to thank for that. The lack of regeneration going on here is criminal, Leeds was a excrement hole in the 90s and apparently it's now unrecognisable. There's so much going on not only in Leeds but across the country to modernise, yet the powers that be in Grimsby are hell bent on that not happening.

I do love coming home for a few days now and then mind.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 67
Maringer
May 21, 2018, 1:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,142
Gold Stars: 180
I don't think you can underestimate how little the council can really do to help regeneration.

To be blunt they haven't got a pot to urine in when it comes to serious funding. Areas such as Grimsby whose main industry is decimated within a few years and then abandoned by government have no chance without outside intervention and, of course, this has never come. Much the same for the industrial heartlands in the north east, south Wales, mining areas and the like.

As long as we're living on scraps, that's all we'll get.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.