6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
May 17, 2018, 12:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,109
Gold Stars: 548
Good luck to Scunny. They have had a long period of punching above their weight, just as we did, but it doesn't last for ever. Yo-yoing between leagues 1 and 2 is a fine achievement for a club with their fan base. Of course, they have had someone prepared to bank roll them for a while, and if he gets bored and leaves, there may well be a period of downward consolidation (fancy name for relegation  ) in their future. I hope we are playing them the season after next in League 1. No better feeling than turning over Scunny at Glumford Park. Actually, that's not true, turning them over at the Old Show Ground was just as good.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 51
Bradford Mariner
May 17, 2018, 12:41pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +88
Gold Stars: 2
To be fair to our neighbours they looked a decent side going forward and caused Rotherham loads of problems. I liked the look of their forward-thinking players who played with pace and movement that I'd love to see us replicate. Plus, their goalkeeper looks a really good prospect.

I do agree that they've been really fortunate with the backing of a wealthy benefactor but they've spent well for the most part. It will all go downhill fast though if the money dries up!

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 51
1mickylyons
May 17, 2018, 12:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from ginnywings
Good luck to Scunny. They have had a long period of punching above their weight, just as we did, but it doesn't last for ever. Yo-yoing between leagues 1 and 2 is a fine achievement for a club with their fan base. Of course, they have had someone prepared to bank roll them for a while, and if he gets bored and leaves, there may well be a period of downward consolidation (fancy name for relegation  ) in their future. I hope we are playing them the season after next in League 1. No better feeling than turning over Scunny at Glumford Park. Actually, that's not true, turning them over at the Old Show Ground was just as good.  

I miss grounds like the OSG it had character and not saying this because I dislike Scunny but GP must be the worst of the new build grounds or certainly the worst by far I have been to? The OSG great away end and acoustics they got dealt a bad hand with that swap I hope Town don`t suffer the same fate?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 51
1mickylyons
May 17, 2018, 12:51pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Bradford Mariner
To be fair to our neighbours they looked a decent side going forward and caused Rotherham loads of problems. I liked the look of their forward-thinking players who played with pace and movement that I'd love to see us replicate. Plus, their goalkeeper looks a really good prospect.

I do agree that they've been really fortunate with the backing of a wealthy benefactor but they've spent well for the most part. It will all go downhill fast though if the money dries up!

UTM

They have also had some fairly recent either football fortune or good business decisions as a result of player investment.Martin Paterson,Gary Hooper,Sharp and Keogh that`s helped fill the war chest a bit.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 51
Limerick Mariner
May 17, 2018, 2:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I miss grounds like the OSG it had character and not saying this because I dislike Scunny but GP must be the worst of the new build grounds or certainly the worst by far I have been to? The OSG great away end and acoustics they got dealt a bad hand with that swap I hope Town don`t suffer the same fate?

One of the few (two!?) clubs whose attendances went down after moving to a new stadium (other one I can think of is Darlo), probably due to lower away capacity.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 51
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 17, 2018, 2:53pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

One of the few (two!?) clubs whose attendances went down after moving to a new stadium (other one I can think of is Darlo), probably due to lower away capacity.

Also likely because of accessibility. One plus of the OSG  was its position although parking nearby wasn’t easy. I would imagine they lost some trade from people who lived in walking distance because getting to GP is a boring trek.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 51
barralad
May 17, 2018, 3:06pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from ginnywings
Good luck to Scunny. They have had a long period of punching above their weight, just as we did, but it doesn't last for ever. Yo-yoing between leagues 1 and 2 is a fine achievement for a club with their fan base. Of course, they have had someone prepared to bank roll them for a while, and if he gets bored and leaves, there may well be a period of downward consolidation (fancy name for relegation  ) in their future. I hope we are playing them the season after next in League 1. No better feeling than turning over Scunny at Glumford Park. Actually, that's not true, turning them over regularly at the Old Show Ground was just as good.  

Amended for the sake of veracity

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 51
barralad
May 17, 2018, 3:09pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Bradford Mariner

UTM

I'd agree with that..... until they reached Rotherham's penalty area. Their finishing was truly woeful.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 51
ginnywings
May 17, 2018, 3:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,109
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from barralad

Thank you Barra.  

I'd also like to point out that i meant Yoyo-ing between Championship and League 1 is a fine achievement for them. Not League 1 and 2 as i typed.

I never watched the game but whenever i heard anything Scunny related on RH after the Saturday games, the consensus was that they played very well but didn't win a lot of the times. Sounds like they have no killer instinct.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 51
Limerick Mariner
May 17, 2018, 3:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from barralad

Maybe you don't remember Jim Lumby and Kevin Kilmore turning us over at the OSG in consecutive seasons 77-78 and 78-79 - we'd sold one of them to Scunny and then bought the other one...they held us at BP both seasons as well.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rotherham v Scunthorpe

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.