Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Very, very quiet on the Macca front!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 312 Guests

Very, very quiet on the Macca front!

This thread currently has 19,007 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Theimperialcoroner
May 21, 2018, 1:28am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,141
Gold Stars: 102
Batch kept a clean sheet at Boothferry Park with a broken hand, he also had a world class tache. He was the best regular keeper I’ve seen play for us. Davidson is massively underrated too. Holds the record clean sheets for a season with us iirc.

Macca though is as good a shot stopper as you’ll find at this level. There might be better all rounders about but his saves late on this season helped keep us up. For this and just the reasons we shouldn’t have let Pearson go, he needs to stay.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 81
toontown
May 21, 2018, 7:32am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Agreed - sensational reaction shot stopper for this level, doubt there's any better. Very good at 1 on 1s too. His clear weakness is commanding his box and crosses but he wouldn't be playing at this level if he were good at those too!

As impcorner says, maybe there is the odd better all rounder at this level, but his saving ability was a massive contributor to us staying up this year. He is now starting what is normally the peak period for a keeper so it'd be great to keep him.

Incidentally, talk of him being the highest earner at the club, there are only a handful of senior pros contracted at the mo so it perhaps isn't that surprising if he were on the most out of them all if he re-signed.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 81
Teesknees
May 21, 2018, 7:58am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from promotion plaice

Who was Towns back up keeper in the picture ?

Ian Turner, went onto play for Southampton.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 81
diehardmariner
May 21, 2018, 8:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,428
Gold Stars: 532
I'm very pleased McKeown is staying (if true), although I suspect my feelings on this are swayed by the emotions with not only him being one of a selection of players who actually seemed to care about the club in the dark days of this winter gone but also as the final remaining link to that promotion side.

As goalkeepers go, I think he's more than capable at this level.  He's a very good shot-stopper and for this level his distribution is OK, you compare it to some of the panicking 'keepers we've seen visit Blundell Park in the last few months who sliced everything out for a throw-in.  I would like him to command his area more and on occasions when he does feel confident enough, he's very good at it.  That said, if a 'keeper doesn't fancy his chances of claiming the ball I would rather he stays on his line than get himself caught out.  

Could we improve on him?  Yes, I think we could but it would take a real find.  Could we do a lot worse? Absolutely! Arguably the few appearances made by Dean Henderson gave us a false impression of what we should be aspiring to at this level.  The lad has dominated in the league above and is one game away from winning promotion to the Championship, he's linked with some really big clubs and will only get better.  We were lucky to see him at this level in all honesty.  But even he wasn't without an error, I forget where it was but he and Mills got into a mix-up and cost us a goal.

In my opinion, the standard at this level was set when we had Steve Mildenhall.  Taken into account the level he was playing at, he was one of the top five 'keepers I've seen at this club.  Dave Beasant was the best, no contest at all but he only was here for a short space of time.  Equally so Wayne Henderson when he came on loan in 2008/09, everyone remembers the impact of Conlon and Sweeney but he was just as, if not more, important.  

Higher up the levels Aidan Davison was a colossus for us in 1997/98 and carried it on into the following season before he parted on bad terms.  But his copybook was blotted when he came back a few years later and was a disgrace with his attitude.  

Danny Coyne was a truly wonderful shot-stopper but people forget he was a disaster in his first season.  He worked really hard on his distribution but he never mastered coming off his line, something that probably prevented him playing consistently at a higher level.  
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 81
Limerick Mariner
May 21, 2018, 9:16am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,664
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Teesknees

Ian Turner, went onto play for Southampton.

Yes and the only ex-Town keeper to appear in a Cup Final (as Beasant came after)?

I was at his debut v Peterbrough - we went 2 nil down very quickly and though I can't remember their goals I do remember the Main Stand crowd were muttering, including my Dad... "bring Harry on" etc so it maybe wasn't the best of debuts.

Town however turned it round and won 3-2 - took us to the verge of promotion and the championship (clinched at the Exeter game) - 46 feckin years ago...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 81
HertsGTFC
May 21, 2018, 9:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Poojah
On a slight tangent, I have a question for those older than me. For as long as I’ve been watching Town, our keepers have never worn green - my understanding that this is to do with an old fishing superstition.

Looking back through old photos though, we did have green keeper shirts - so when did this tradition begin?

[img]https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/grimsby-town-fourth-division-champions-197172-trainer-jim-clunie-alan-picture-id681452142[/img]

No 23 man squads in those days.......

f Macca stays that will be good as he's a good L2 keeper who has improved a lot since Andy Warrington has been at the club plus as much as any pro would he really cares about GTFC.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 81
tanga_the_indestructible
May 21, 2018, 9:52am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Yes and the only ex-Town keeper to appear in a Cup Final (as Beasant came after)?

I was at his debut v Peterbrough - we went 2 nil down very quickly and though I can't remember their goals I do remember the Main Stand crowd were muttering, including my Dad... "bring Harry on" etc so it maybe wasn't the best of debuts.

Town however turned it round and won 3-2 - took us to the verge of promotion and the championship (clinched at the Exeter game) - 46 feckin years ago...

That was 1971-72 season somewhere around Easter, IIRC? It was televised on Anglia and shown the following day. Would love to see footage from that game again.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 81
ginnywings
May 21, 2018, 9:57am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
I think if you are going to compare Macca to keepers of the past, you have to take into account the level some of the former stoppers were playing at, which was certainly higher than what Macca has been for us. He came here while we were in non league and has steadily improved as we have gone back into the league and hopefully will continue to improve as we rise up the leagues (fingers crossed). Besides, we will spend that much time on the attack next season, that i could play in goal.  

I have been a bit critical of Macca in the past, i will admit it, but it's difficult for fans of a certain age, like myself, not to compare and contrast with players of old and forget that the standard of player and team we had in previous years was a cut above where we are now. Not always of course, as we have had just as many shocking teams and players in our history. Macca is not the best keeper i've seen, but he's far from the worst. He is also a loyal servant and clearly wants to play for us still. He deserves a new contract just for his end of season displays- the Port Vale game in particular, when he was superb. It's time to stop letting our better players walk, and make them want to stay.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 81
Jimbob
May 21, 2018, 10:28am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +2
still need a good  second goalkeeper, if that's ok with macca !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 81
Cloudy
May 21, 2018, 10:35am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431

That was 1971-72 season somewhere around Easter, IIRC? It was televised on Anglia and shown the following day. Would love to see footage from that game again.

Correct. IIRC Dave Worthington scored one of our comeback goals????
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Very, very quiet on the Macca front!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.