This thread currently has 3,149 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
MarinerBen
May 14, 2018, 12:28am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +243
So, our Chairman has been under a lot of criticism and there are plenty of threads regarding that. What I'm proposing is "what JF can do, if it's even possible for some to contemplate, to re-establish himself as an effective Chairman?"

I'll go first seeing as I've posed the question, and I'll do it in one word.

Apologise.

Lets try keep criticism constructive and see if the pointers come into effect  

"Take what you can, give nothing back"
                                                                 - Capt. J. Sparrow
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
grimps
May 14, 2018, 3:57am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
Back MJ and stay out of the way and I'm sure he'd  soon be forgetton about
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
Theimperialcoroner
May 14, 2018, 4:28am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -3
Approval: +5,088
Gold Stars: 93
A bit less balderdash talk and more action. This applies to playing side and stadium. FWIW I think the community stuff is not too bad but could be pushed more and be a bit more genuine from certain quarters, and by that I don’t necessarily mean JSF

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
GrimRob
May 14, 2018, 10:17am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Keep his head down, he's not the chairman after all, so carry on sharing public forums with other board members.

A lasting legacy would of course be the new ground, or at very least a clear path forward on that front.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 13
Bignic69
May 14, 2018, 11:28am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
Give MJ a lengthy contract and back him with a competitive playing and coaching budget.

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
TAGG
May 14, 2018, 11:33am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Hand over the club to a competent person and then drift into the background.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
UTMariners
May 14, 2018, 12:52pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +426
Gold Stars: 6
Stop penny pinching and look at the wider context, longer term.. but that isn't in his nature

"My love, my heart, my soul, my life.  My beloved Club Grimsby."

Salford Mariner

Join the Trust!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
moosey_club
May 14, 2018, 2:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Accept its not always "the fans fault"
Acknowledge mistakes

Those would do for me for a start.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
LongEatonMariner
May 14, 2018, 2:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
If he lets the manager do his job will fans get off his back and let him do his?

I dont love JF but I find this obsession too much. If someone is going to start another thread slagging  the non chairman off, can they at least name it as such so those of us not interested can make better use of our days.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
lew chaterleys lover
May 14, 2018, 2:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
He cannot make amends. It is not in his nature to accept blame, acknowledge mistakes or invest in the things that matter, all of which would need to be done if any attempt was to be made at making amends. Neither can he work with anyone else for the betterment of the club or get new investment, so until someone somewhere buys him out we are stuck with it.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
MarinerBen
May 14, 2018, 2:47pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +243
Quoted from LongEatonMariner
If he lets the manager do his job will fans get off his back and let him do his?

I dont love JF but I find this obsession too much. If someone is going to start another thread slagging  the non chairman off, can they at least name it as such so those of us not interested can make better use of our days.

UTM

Not sure if this is aimed at me for posting the thread, personally I'd feel content with JF if he were to address the concerns of his doubters. Which is why I wanted to gauge what the supporters would want from him to make amends.

I'd like to think that any relationship can be repaired, and the best way to do that is to address how it can be done.

"Take what you can, give nothing back"
                                                                 - Capt. J. Sparrow
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 13
Cloudy
May 14, 2018, 2:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from MarinerBen

Not sure if this is aimed at me for posting the thread, personally I'd feel content with JF if he were to address the concerns of his doubters. Which is why I wanted to gauge what the supporters would want from him to make amends.

I'd like to think that any relationship can be repaired, and the best way to do that is to address how it can be don
e.

Divorce!

Private Message
Reply: 11 - 13
heppy88
May 14, 2018, 3:45pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,069
Gold Stars: 40
A) Be a completely silent and invisible owner.

B) Allow someone else to be the clubs spokesperson. Don’t appoint a yes man either, have the balls to appoint an individual who can speak his/her own mind and tell it how it is.

C) Stop making off the cuff, reactionary decisions.

D) Produce a statement of intent. If that involves delivering on years of promises regarding a new stadium, how about a fully detailed progress report?

E) Back Jolley 100% and allow him to make his own decisions. I imagine he's no mug, he won’t need your words of wisdom and divine guidance. Just leave him be, to get on with the job at hand.

F) Actively look for fresh investment and fresh blood on the board. If you find it difficult working with others, especially if their point of view differs from yours, then just take a back seat. I’m sure somewhere in there you will admit many of your decisions and actions have been truly, outstandingly shocking.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 13
lew chaterleys lover
May 14, 2018, 4:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from heppy88
A) Be a completely silent and invisible owner.

B) Allow someone else to be the clubs spokesperson. Don’t appoint a yes man either, have the balls to appoint an individual who can speak his/her own mind and tell it how it is.

C) Stop making off the cuff, reactionary decisions.

D) Produce a statement of intent. If that involves delivering on years of promises regarding a new stadium, how about a fully detailed progress report?

E) Back Jolley 100% and allow him to make his own decisions. I imagine he's no mug, he won’t need your words of wisdom and divine guidance. Just leave him be, to get on with the job at hand.

F) Actively look for fresh investment and fresh blood on the board. If you find it difficult working with others, especially if their point of view differs from yours, then just take a back seat. I’m sure somewhere in there you will admit many of your decisions and actions have been truly, outstandingly shocking.

A good post in the sense that is what most would do in his position, but sadly it is a pie in the sky wish list.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How to make Amends

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.