Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Will JF back MJ £££ ?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 272 Guests

Will JF back MJ £££ ?

This thread currently has 4,223 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
May 13, 2018, 7:37pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,997
Gold Stars: 193

Will JF back MJ £££ ?

Or will he just try and claw more of his loan back ?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mikey_345
May 13, 2018, 7:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,308
Gold Stars: 100
I can’t say I’ve ever felt we as a club haven’t backed the manager on the whole- who ever it’s been.

However lately we tend to be stingy with individual deals and careless with numbers. Last few seasons we’ve had so many players on our books but “won’t pay over the odds” for an individual player. When in reality we could get better if willing to pay a little more.

Yet we are happy to urine it up the wall on 4/5 players that aren’t even making the bench.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 20
sonofmadeleymariner
May 13, 2018, 7:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
I don't think its been a lack of funding for our managers, more of a mismanagment of these funds.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 20
Cambs Mariner
May 13, 2018, 7:59pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +1,233
If he gives Mr Jolley the amount of money we get from season tickets which is I think is around 900k plus another 2 or 300k from the 1 million profit then he should be able to put a decent squad of players together without him having to loan the club anymore money. The day to day running of the club can be paid with on the day ticket sales , sponorship etc. I do think we need to make a good run in the FA Cup a priority because have we seen this can make a big difference to a clubs future. Maybe I am being too simplistic but that is the way I would look at doing it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
ska face
May 13, 2018, 8:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,568
Gold Stars: 839
Can we stop this myth that Fenty spends each summer emptying his piggy bank and handing it to the manager. Any money that the manager gets comes from the fans, TV money and other commercial streams.

The playing budget is a decision for the whole board, and manager, to make.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 20
lew chaterleys lover
May 13, 2018, 8:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,662
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Mikey_345
I can’t say I’ve ever felt we as a club haven’t backed the manager on the whole- who ever it’s been.

However lately we tend to be stingy with individual deals and careless with numbers. Last few seasons we’ve had so many players on our books but “won’t pay over the odds” for an individual player. When in reality we could get better if willing to pay a little more.

Yet we are happy to urine it up the wall on 4/5 players that aren’t even making the bench.

"Two for the price of one" Fenty is to blame for that. Come to think of it he is to blame for everything that happened over the last decade and a half - blessed will be the day when he is bought out.  
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
Teesknees
May 13, 2018, 8:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from promotion plaice

Will JF back MJ £££ ?

Or will he just try and claw more of his loan back ?

FFS!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
jamesgtfc
May 13, 2018, 8:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Accrington got promoted with a budget of £780k and Chesterfield were relegated with a budget of £2.5m. It isn't about what you have to spend, it is about how you use it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
chaos33
May 13, 2018, 8:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,871
Gold Stars: 353
Fair point, but where'd you get them figures from? Have they been published?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
jamesgtfc
May 13, 2018, 8:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from chaos33
Fair point, but where'd you get them figures from? Have they been published?

There was an article in The Guardian where it was said their playing budget is £15k per week and someone posted a video from a Chesterfield director on here a few weeks ago where he stated the budget was going to reduce from £2.5m this season to £1m next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 20
chaos33
May 13, 2018, 9:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,871
Gold Stars: 353
Right. Just draws into sharper focus their relative achievements then.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
davmariner
May 13, 2018, 9:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,910
Gold Stars: 78
Can anyone tell me the last time JF put money into the club that wasn’t a loan?

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
Abdul19
May 13, 2018, 9:28pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
When he bought that burger?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
acko338
May 13, 2018, 9:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Gold Stars: 33
If the player targets under Plan A have been discussed at Director level from the manager's wish list, then there must be an estimated calculation of roughly what budget would be needed if all those chosen will sign.

The annual budget figure is then that maximum amount, out of which a contingency must be made for injury or next transfer window needs.

The manager then has to use that budget to best effect and bring in as good an amount of players as budget allows.

We look for "Bogle" players who could potentially improve and bring in fees later on, but mostly we will seek rough diamonds who will commute or move close enough to function and train locally here.

Accrington have shown how shrewd budgeting along with fortunate gelling of the squad can produce results of extraordinary standards this season.

It will be very interesting to see how our new manager seeks out his own players to add to those under contract and those re-offered new terms.

I hope we see players eager to rise, hungry to succeed, worthy of fan adulation.

Bottom line though is - will we all see football on the floor this coming season, good passing and fit players who last for 90 minutes, players who will sweat for each other and show pride in wearing the shirt?

Can we find the next Disley, Cockerill, Cumming, Pouton, Cunnington type of midfielder who will light up the home fans and contribute 10 to 12 goals as well as holding up the midfield?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
Mariner_09
May 13, 2018, 9:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Yes, I’m certain Fenty will. He backed Bignot and Slade but they blew the budget on massiv squads with varying degrees of quality in them. Hopefully Jolley can use a budget of the same size but spend it on 20-21 players rather than 31! That means if we had an average weekly wage of £1000 a week for 31 players then we can spend £1500 a week on 21 players which would in theory mean a squad of much better quality and hopefully more tight knit and have a greater bond, all of which are worth immeasurable points.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 20
SomeSanity
May 13, 2018, 10:32pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +855
Gold Stars: 1
For the first time since our Promotion season I feel we have a man at the helm who has a clear vision of what he wants and needs. We have always had a competitive budget and I trust the manager to use it wisely.

Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
GrimRob
May 13, 2018, 10:33pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
If we spend our money wisely it's perfectly possible to do well with the budget we have. We have had enough income, without any input from the directors, to churn through 40+ players the last two seasons, and sack the manager once per year. Imagine if we had spent that same money on 25 slightly better players what we might have achieved? Consider we have lost EVERY SINGLE CUP GAME for two seasons, and still managed to make ends meet, what just one or two cup wins would give us potentially.

This club has the potential to do much better with prudent management of our resources, I think we have the right man to do just that

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 20
HackneyHaddock
May 13, 2018, 10:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Agree with the sentiments of GrimRob and the others who have mentioned playing budgets.

Also, since everyone at the club is in agreement that JF should be finalising his exit strategy, it makes no sense for fans to be demanding he be pretty much the sole funder of the squad.  

A "top three budget" shouldn't necessarily mean "one of the three largest budgets", but rather a budget capable of getting into the top three.  Accrington had a Championship-winning budget, but it didn't need to be the largest in the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
lew chaterleys lover
May 13, 2018, 10:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,662
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from GrimRob
If we spend our money wisely it's perfectly possible to do well with the budget we have. We have had enough income, without any input from the directors, to churn through 40+ players the last two seasons, and sack the manager once per year. Imagine if we had spent that same money on 25 slightly better players what we might have achieved? Consider we have lost EVERY SINGLE CUP GAME for two seasons, and still managed to make ends meet, what just one or two cup wins would give us potentially.

This club has the potential to do much better with prudent management of our resources, I think we have the right man to do just that

A blind man could see that is the right approach, so there must be more to it than "here is x budget, use it as you wish.."

Individual players wage and other demands must be a factor, otherwise any normal manager would get 11 expensive  players and use cheap fringe players as back up. For years we have not been able to land our top targets, bar one or two, and have yet to sign somebody who will make the hairs on our neck stand up despite a few years having passed since that comment was made. No sane manager would "buy" 2 very average players as opposed to one first choice, unless his hands are tied.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
GrimRob
May 13, 2018, 11:00pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113

A blind man could see that is the right approach, so there must be more to it than "here is x budget, use it as you wish.."

Individual players wage and other demands must be a factor, otherwise any normal manager would get 11 expensive  players and use cheap fringe players as back up. For years we have not been able to land our top targets, bar one or two, and have yet to sign somebody who will make the hairs on our neck stand up despite a few years having passed since that comment was made. No sane manager would "buy" 2 very average players as opposed to one first choice, unless his hands are tied.

PH did a good job with our squad, certainly in the NL. Most of his signings worked out, and he made some average players look brilliant (notably Amond). I think we even made a profit in the transfer market during his reign.

If we could just do as well as he did with managing the squad I would be happy. Everyone we have had since has been completely useless, particularly at this part of the job.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 20
Theimperialcoroner
May 14, 2018, 4:35am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,141
Gold Stars: 102
Slade was fully backed and he decimated our squad for inferior players.
Any degree of man management would have seen Osbourne and Jones still here. They would both have had an impact, the same might be said for Clements, but I never saw him play enough to judge.
Slade lost the plot and he nearly destroyed the club. JF backed him for too long, but at least he backed him.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Will JF back MJ £££ ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.