Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Shrewsbury v Charlton
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 399 Guests

Shrewsbury v Charlton

This thread currently has 7,637 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
May 13, 2018, 8:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from headingly_mariner
I can’t believe how people feel about a bit of ear cupping. The bloke got us back in the league.
It’s never even been explained what was meant by it. In his time he brought a professionalism to the pitch that had long been absent from the club and soon disappeared after he left. Lot of childish grudges about one nothing incident.

Ooh alright....calm down a bit. It's just a bit of fun really - a bit of a poke - imagining that he might be beaten at Wembley by the club he devoted his playing career to. I make no apology for being ambivalent about Hurst. I don't wish him ill and I don't wish him success. Pretty much how I felt when he left really.

I must say though....I like your idea that you demonstrate 'professionalism' by running up the touch line in the very throes of victory and cup your ear at your own supporters. No. Definitely not 'childish'. In my book, the 'professional' thing is to not do that.

Hey ho.....

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 51
forza ivano
May 13, 2018, 8:50pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
I can’t believe how people feel about a bit of ear cupping. The bloke got us back in the league.
It’s never even been explained what was meant by it. In his time he brought a professionalism to the pitch that had long been absent from the club and soon disappeared after he left. Lot of childish grudges about one nothing incident.

You deserve post of the week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 51
headingly_mariner
May 13, 2018, 9:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from chaos33

Ooh alright....calm down a bit. It's just a bit of fun really - a bit of a poke - imagining that he might be beaten at Wembley by the club he devoted his playing career to. I make no apology for being ambivalent about Hurst. I don't wish him ill and I don't wish him success. Pretty much how I felt when he left really.

I must say though....I like your idea that you demonstrate 'professionalism' by running up the touch line in the very throes of victory and cup your ear at your own supporters. No. Definitely not 'childish'. In my book, the 'professional' thing is to not do that.

Hey ho.....

It wasn’t necessarily aimed at yourself.

I was too busy celebrating to notice it on the day. In terms of professionalism i was talking about the players who were in the main fit, organised, committed and not excrement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 51
LH
May 13, 2018, 10:02pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
The majority of whom would also run through walls/possibly kill for each other. The final two seasons in non-league were brilliant from a team spirit point of view. We hadn’t seen that in nearly twenty years before then.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 51
MeanwoodMariner
May 13, 2018, 10:18pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8

Hurst's promotion left a lot of people on here feeling a bit daft. Many had relentlessly insisted that Hurst would never get us promoted. Anyone who thought he could were the 'rose tinted specs brigade'. For the best fans in the world (self proclaimed) we really do our best to undermine the manager or board or whoever we've got it in for at any particular time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 51
GrimRob
May 13, 2018, 10:23pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Quoted from Gaffer58
Commentator mentioned division 1 gets approx £1 million tv money whilst championship gets approx £7 million, so Jolley has 2 successful seasons and we can pay Fenty's benign loans off.

If only it worked that way. Everyone gets £7m so you need to spend it just to have a hope of matching everyone else's wages. Even if it was ten times amount that it would all be spent on wages. Whenever clubs get a new source of income all that happens is the players' wages go up by an equivalent amount.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 25 - 51
GrimRob
May 13, 2018, 10:29pm

Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

Hurst's promotion left a lot of people on here feeling a bit daft. Many had relentlessly insisted that Hurst would never get us promoted. Anyone who thought he could be the 'rose tinted specs brigade'. For the best fans in the world (self-proclaimed) we really do our best to undermine the manager or board or whoever we've got it in for at any particular time.

Our supporters were in denial about just how good PH was and is. I was a big fan of his, but had we not beaten FGR I would have probably expected someone else to get a chance (largely because reading on a daily basis on here all his "faults" I had started to half believe them) . Thank God we did because I'm not sure anyone else would have managed promotion from that league in the two years since.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Reply: 26 - 51
RichMariner
May 13, 2018, 10:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Quoted from GrimRob

If only it worked that way. Everyone gets £7m so you need to spend it just to have a hope of matching everyone else's wages. Even if it was ten times amount that it would all be spent on wages. Whenever clubs get a new source of income all that happens is the players' wages go up by an equivalent amount.

I get this, but I wonder if we'd ever be brave enough to plan for our long-term future, i.e. don't spunk it all on wages - just get the best from very average players at that level on sensible wages... if we go down, which would be likely, we'd have a few million in the bank and a head start on anyone else in League 1.

It wouldn't appease the fans in the short term, but a bit of yoyo-ing could set us up very strongly for many years to come. Not enough football clubs act like this because of the pressure modern football puts on achieving success right here, right now.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 27 - 51
GrimRob
May 13, 2018, 11:07pm

Quoted from RichMariner

I get this, but I wonder if we'd ever be brave enough to plan for our long-term future, i.e. don't spunk it all on wages - just get the best from very average players at that level on sensible wages... if we go down, which would be likely, we'd have a few million in the bank and a head start on anyone else in League 1.

It wouldn't appease the fans in the short term, but a bit of yoyo-ing could set us up very strongly for many years to come. Not enough football clubs act like this because of the pressure modern football puts on achieving success right here, right now.

If it was any other business a long-term strategy would make sense, but football is not a business! No chairman is ever going to be popular squirrelling money away for the future, so they have a good kitty when they get relegated. Relegation is the one thing everyone wants to avoid (even if it means playing in a league where you lose more often because everyone is that much bigger).

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Reply: 28 - 51
LH
May 13, 2018, 11:19pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
I think Burnley under Dyche are the exception to that rule, Rob. When they went up to the PL (for the second time) they kept as much money as they could and invested it in youth and club development. Got relegated and now spend the money on players to stay up. I suppose in a way like what Lincoln have done with their Cup cash but on a much grander scale. If we ever made it to the big time I’d be happy for us to invest in the future if we only had one season in the top flight.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Shrewsbury v Charlton

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.