7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Vance Warner
May 12, 2018, 7:24am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,786
Gold Stars: 102
Wants a review of the sentences given out for trouble at the Sheff Utd game. From what I read the individual evidence against most of those involved was pretty tame anyway. Of course no-one wants to see mass brawls but the way to combat that is through effective policing and good communication between the police and the clubs involved. Football 'fans' already face tougher punishments than any other section of society. I usually agree with her and think she's done some good things for the town but don't agree with this Thatcheresque response.
Logged Offline
Private Message
scrumble
May 12, 2018, 8:08am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Vance Warner
Football 'fans' already face tougher punishments than any other section of society.

Football fans don't, moronic thugs that just happen to be wearing football shirts do

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 62
Dogger Bank
May 12, 2018, 8:14am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +161
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Vance Warner
Wants a review of the sentences given out for trouble at the Sheff Utd game. From what I read the individual evidence against most of those involved was pretty tame anyway. Of course no-one wants to see mass brawls but the way to combat that is through effective policing and good communication between the police and the clubs involved. Football 'fans' already face tougher punishments than any other section of society. I usually agree with her and think she's done some good things for the town but don't agree with this Thatcheresque response.

Really...like what....? The problems in the town can be put down to various circumstances. The main one being a Labour run town for a lifetime. She is a career politician who only cares about herself. Taking credit for positive things that happen in the area she had nothing really to do with. She's almost as bad as her predecessor Austin Mitchell. Getting involved in these sentences only deflects away from what she normally does for the town..... nothing!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 62
HackneyHaddock
May 12, 2018, 8:16am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Referring to "Grimsby Hooligans" even when the events took place in a neighbouring constituency (Cleethorpes) was very unhelpful and perpetuates the stigma attached to both football fans and the town.  

I'm sure she's a lovely person, but I'm afraid as a Member of Parliament, she's intellectually out of her depth.  She's lucky the Tories picked a complete dud as a candidate last year, as a half-competent local candidate would have beaten her.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 62
Grim74
May 12, 2018, 11:42am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Totally agree she just loves a bit of attention does Mel!
Yeah
Just to show her ineptitude she was recently in parliament blaming the police cuts as a link to a rise in the annual crime statistics of NE Lincs which is fair enough you could argue, but she then went on to give 3 examples of the crimes caused because of the cuts!

the first one was an isolated incident outside a bar in Cleethorpes where a guy was punched and subsequently died, the second another isolate incident at home where a man was slashed in cleethorpes, and the the third was the football violence again in cleethorpes, but inept Mel hadn't even done her homework because this was in 2016!

This is the woman who disagreed with Corbynomics and voted against a Corbyn leadership, but now she wormed her way into his shadow cabinet not once as she raised her head from her trough to denounce his lunacy policy's, a fine example of a career politician, at least Austin Mitchel spoke his truth.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 62
dapperz fun pub
May 12, 2018, 11:44am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
I think both local MPs are a waste of space one struggled to run a newsagents and one is more concerned with wolf whistling .... to me both are on a Jolley ( not ours ) both need removing ASAP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 62
rancido
May 12, 2018, 2:53pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Grim74
Totally agree she just loves a bit of attention does Mel!
Yeah
Just to show her ineptitude she was recently in parliament blaming the police cuts as a link to a rise in the annual crime statistics of NE Lincs which is fair enough you could argue, but she then went on to give 3 examples of the crimes caused because of the cuts!

the first one was an isolated incident outside a bar in Cleethorpes where a guy was punched and subsequently died, the second another isolate incident at home where a man was slashed in cleethorpes, and the the third was the football violence again in cleethorpes, but inept Mel hadn't even done her homework because this was in 2016!

This is the woman who disagreed with Corbynomics and voted against a Corbyn leadership, but now she wormed her way into his shadow cabinet not once as she raised her head from her trough to denounce his lunacy policy's, a fine example of a career politician, at least Austin Mitchel spoke his truth.

She is an unbelievable hypocrite! She represents a party that constantly bangs on about equality yet she was chosen as the Labour candidate from an intentional all female short list. She was also against Brexit and like has been previously mentioned, was involved in a no-confidence movement against Corbyn, resigned from the front bench but now is back cosying up to Comrade Corbyn. Can't stand her and would never vote for her.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 62
moosey_club
May 12, 2018, 2:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Female politician in the Labour Party in an almost gauranteed Labour seat....her stock will no doubt be rising despite the fact she talks b0ll0cks and isnt connected to her constituents....what did Austin say when she was selected ...something along the lines of  "a monkey could win that seat"
People of Grimsby need to just stop blanket voting Labour and actually vote for a candidate who has the people of the towns interests at heart.

While Labour effortlessly win the seat they have no need to do anything for the people...key marginals is where things can happen....Onn's wolf whistle remarks for instance, that completely lost any focus on the rest of what she was campaigning for and made her, and therefore GY ,look pathetic.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 62
KingstonMariner
May 12, 2018, 3:12pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Problem you've got is who do you vote for who genuinely has the interests of GY at heart? Tories never will. Grimsby is one of those towns that is full of people to be exploited on behalf of people in more prosperous places. A left of centre independent is about the best bet but will never be in government.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 62
Dogger Bank
May 12, 2018, 3:17pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from rancido

She is an unbelievable hypocrite! She represents a party that constantly bangs on about equality yet she was chosen as the Labour candidate from an intentional all female short list. She was also against Brexit and like has been previously mentioned, was involved in a no-confidence movement against Corbyn, resigned from the front bench but now is back cosying up to Comrade Corbyn. Can't stand her and would never vote for her.

Exactly. She has absolutely no relationship or anything in common with the people she is supposed to be representing. She is a 100% EU remainer who's an MP for an area that overwhelmingly voted leave. She stated leaving the EU would leave this country and Grimsby in a disastrous position and would be damaging to future prosperity, absolute rubbish. I can remember her saying the wind energy companies would want to pull out or not come. This has also been proven to be a complete scaremongering exercise. They are flocking to come to the area as strategically it is an ideal place for them to be. She then proceeds to take every photo opportunity when a new company comes here making out she has something to do with it. She's a joke, Labour are a joke and I feel ashamed I have voted for them in the past, never again. The party of the welfare state who helps destroy towns like ours.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 62
promotion plaice
May 12, 2018, 3:19pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

How times change.....she was being adored for her looks on here not that long ago  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 62
KingstonMariner
May 12, 2018, 3:22pm
Meths Drinker
What's your alternative Dogger? The Tories who never wanted the Welfare State to start with and are dismantling it. UKIP who will never be in a position to do anything (i.e. not in government).

As for Brexit, we haven't left yet so she may well be proved right on that. Personally speaking I'd rather see someone say what they think about a key issue than pretend to be against something which is unpopular in the town, rather than sucking up to the electorate and telling them what they want to hear.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 62
Dogger Bank
May 12, 2018, 3:33pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
What's your alternative Dogger? The Tories who never wanted the Welfare State to start with and are dismantling it. UKIP who will never be in a position to do anything (i.e. not in government).

As for Brexit, we haven't left yet so she may well be proved right on that. Personally speaking I'd rather see someone say what they think about a key issue than pretend to be against something which is unpopular in the town, rather than sucking up to the electorate and telling them what they want to hear.

I work in the renewables industry, believe me it will make absolutely no difference to them coming to the area when we leave the EU. Infact there is even more investment now and more coming in this sector and for this area than ever before. As for who's the alternative....anyone as they can't do much worse than Labour and their representatives have done for Grimsby. 40+ years of their control and look at parts of the town and lack of investment. Even when they were in charge of central government in the time of Blair and Brown nothing changed, infact it seemed to have got worse. Imagine if they got in again and having Diane Abbott as Home Secretary and Corbyn as PM. It would send this country back to the 18th century.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 62
Mrs Doyle
May 12, 2018, 3:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
She is just another jobsworth not done anything of merit at least Hulls female M.P. gets things done ours is useless.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 62
Mrs Doyle
May 12, 2018, 3:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from Vance Warner

Like what???

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 62
KingstonMariner
May 12, 2018, 3:49pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Dogger Bank

I work in the renewables industry, believe me it will make absolutely no difference to them coming to the area when we leave the EU. Infact there is even more investment now and more coming in this sector and for this area than ever before. As for who's the alternative....anyone as they can't do much worse than Labour and their representatives have done for Grimsby. 40+ years of their control and look at parts of the town and lack of investment. Even when they were in charge of central government in the time of Blair and Brown nothing changed, infact it seemed to have got worse. Imagine if they got in again and having Diane Abbott as Home Secretary and Corbyn as PM. It would send this country back to the 18th century.

Considering that in the last 40 years, Labour has only been in government for 14 years, there's not been much opportunity for them to do anything about it. Tories have had nearly twice as long in government. They've taken more money off the town in the last 8 years than anyone ever.

During the last 4 decades more and more power has been taken off local government, so they've had less ability to do anything positive.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 62
Gaffer58
May 12, 2018, 3:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
Getting back to the actual issue of football violence, as most of the trouble was prior to the game who's to say they were all football fans. If you and your three mates were walking down the street to the local church garden party and you were attacked for no reason by a group from Sheffield who had brought their families for a day on the beach, then when you defended yourself, are you a football hooligan?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 62
forza ivano
May 12, 2018, 3:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,159
Gold Stars: 265
Problem you've got is who do you vote for who genuinely has the interests of GY at heart? Tories never will. Grimsby is one of those towns that is full of people to be exploited on behalf of people in more prosperous places. A left of centre independent is about the best bet but will never be in government.

You could be a good constituency mp for gy and be a tory. There are plenty of good mps out there who do great work for their constituents ,it's just they never get the headlines
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 62
grimps
May 12, 2018, 4:07pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,112
Gold Stars: 46
She’s an absolute idiot and had nothing in common with her electorate. This is the first time she’s lifted her head up after the shambles about wolf whistling , I counted over 500 comments on the Telegraph site mostly from women calling her an idiot over that .
She’s now chosen what for Leftie politicians is safe ground , White working class football fans.
There’s nobody that will give a toss , the Gaurdian or the Mail woudlnt care , no support groups , No metropolitan Barristers waiting in the wings so she’s onto something that wouldn’t ever bite her in the bottom.
labour hate the working class football fans , Emily Thornbury proved that with her St George tweet , they see us all as racist UKIP supporters.

I read the case in the telegraph about the Twon fans arrested , the ones involved in the worst incident were very young at the time (19 years old ) and had never been in trouble before or since , some of the older idiots was only arrested for making hand gestures and shouting and swearing.
Each person had been on trial as an individual and the judge had seen the pros and cons and decided not to jail them , Quite fairly in my opinion.
Our Mel is playing politics with peoples lives , they could be dragged back to court and sent to jail for no other reason than Mel wanting to look tough for once.
She wouldn’t dare have stood in court and asked for harder sentences for terrorists , inner city gang members causing real violence  , Gypsys thieving and leaving excrement everywhere or anything with a little bit of controversy attached.
She chose football fans because still to this day nobody gives a intercourse about them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 62
rancido
May 12, 2018, 4:29pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Dogger Bank

You forgot to mention John McDonald as Chancellor of The Exchequer - God help us if he controlled the country's finances!

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 62
MarinerWY
May 12, 2018, 4:32pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
She is just another jobsworth not done anything of merit at least Hulls female M.P. gets things done ours is useless.

Not sure on the relevance of gender. I know of many useless male MP's...
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 62
Dogger Bank
May 12, 2018, 4:41pm
Beer Drinker

Considering that in the last 40 years, Labour has only been in government for 14 years, there's not been much opportunity for them to do anything about it. Tories have had nearly twice as long in government. They've taken more money off the town in the last 8 years than anyone ever.

During the last 4 decades more and more power has been taken off local government, so they've had less ability to do anything positive.

Three terms of government are long enough to make the changes you want. In Labour's last term with Brown they spent everything and left nothing which caused the Tory austerity clamp down. I have absolutely no allegiance to any political party but Labour in particular have shown their true colours in the past few years. They want mass immigration and low skilled, low wage or unemployed as they're the demographic that vote for them. Grimsby is the worse for their control and I for one would like to see another political party given a chance to see if they can improve things. The Tories would have got that control if they had chosen better candidates, especially in Mitchell's last term. Martin Vicars seems to be doing a decent job for Cleethorpes, he's local and knows the area. I for one am sick of Labour and sick of Melanie Onn. We might even have had our new ground if a more dynamic local authority and MP had been in charge in recent years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 62
KingstonMariner
May 12, 2018, 4:52pm
Meths Drinker
You think the Tories don't want cheap immigrant labour? If you do you're not very clued up on capitalism and the Conservative party. Labour under Blair and Brown mimicked the Tories. And 5 terms in office isn't enough for the Tories to sort Grimsby out? 3 terms is enough but 5 isn't. And you say you're not aligned politically. Could have fooled me.

As for leaving the country in debt, things were going fine on public finances until the banking crisis. Labour made the mistake of allowing the market freedom (like the Tories want). Brown stopped the whole thing crashing down (some lefties think he should have let it happen) with his bailouts.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 62
Dogger Bank
May 12, 2018, 5:02pm
Beer Drinker
You think the Tories don't want cheap immigrant labour? If you do you're not very clued up on capitalism and the Conservative party. Labour under Blair and Brown mimicked the Tories. And 5 terms in office isn't enough for the Tories to sort Grimsby out? 3 terms is enough but 5 isn't. And you say you're not aligned politically. Could have fooled me.

As for leaving the country in debt, things were going fine on public finances until the banking crisis. Labour made the mistake of allowing the market freedom (like the Tories want). Brown stopped the whole thing crashing down (some lefties think he should have let it happen) with his bailouts.

The Tories haven't been in charge of the local authority in Grimsby, neither have we had a Tory MP or any other for that matter to try and improve things. As I have stated I have absolutely no allegiance to any political party. I have voted for four parties in my life time, actually mostly Labour in my earlier years. It was then I wasn't clued up, youth is wasted on the young. I would rather have capitalism than socialism anyday of the week. Are you a Guardian reader by any chance Kingston..?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 62
LH
May 12, 2018, 5:03pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,500
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from grimps
She’s an absolute idiot and has nothing in common with her electorate.

Well, some of them are idiots.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 62
Chrisblor
May 12, 2018, 5:21pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,780
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from LH

Well, some of them are idiots.

Yeah, it's evident from this thread.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 62
headingly_mariner
May 12, 2018, 6:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Dogger Bank

The Tories haven't been in charge of the local authority in Grimsby, neither have we had a Tory MP or any other for that matter to try and improve things. As I have stated I have absolutely no allegiance to any political party. I have voted for four parties in my life time, actually mostly Labour in my earlier years. It was then I wasn't clued up, youth is wasted on the young. I would rather have capitalism than socialism anyday of the week. Are you a Guardian reader by any chance Kingston..?

So the way to end austerity in Grimsby is to vote for the party that puts in place the measures of austerity.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 62
KingstonMariner
May 12, 2018, 6:11pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Dogger Bank

There's little local government can do, as its had its hands tied over the last 40 years. Less and less control over any services bar bins, bogs and libraries. Not even schools now. All they can do is administer the admissions process each year with all these academies running schools. It's the government that calls the shots and 2/3 of the last 40 years we've had Tory governments. So its odd how you blame Labour yet they've had far less opportunity to do anything.

The fact you criticise Melanie One for being a poor MP at the same time as saying that if the Tories had put up  decent candidate, says it all. So what you're saying is both major parties put up crap candidates in GY. Yet somehow it is Labour who is in the wrong, not both of them.

As for reading the Guardian, are you a Daily Mail reader?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 62
louth_in_the_south
May 12, 2018, 6:22pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,672
Gold Stars: 94

Very patronising comment about the people of gy . That sounds like u think they’re so thick they can’t figure stuff out and make a decision based on what is best for themselves. And your post later down this thread about foreign labour - well the reason for that is the U.K. population is too fooking lazy to do jobs they think is beneath them . It’s got nothing to do with Labour or Tory policies . Apart from no party having the bollox to cut benefits because they know it would be a definite vote loser .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 62
rancido
May 12, 2018, 6:39pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from rancido

You forgot to mention John McDonald as Chancellor of The Exchequer - God help us if he controlled the country's finances!

I'm surprised that the Pedant Police didn't notice that I meant to say John McDonnell - it seems like the Fishy is getting soft !!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 62
barralad
May 12, 2018, 6:52pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Dogger Bank

I've purposely kept out of this thread because I have serious reservations about what I perceive to be a major shift in the Labour Party's attitude to the new stadium development (one which I'll be reminding them came about because the council OFFERED GTFC the Parkway site) but having read the thread in its entirety I think it is time for a (recent) history lesson. From 2003 to 2011 N.E. Lincolnshire (there hasn't been a Grimsby council since the mid-1990s) was run by the Tories in coalition with De Freitas's merry band of men and women. From a GTFC perspective that administration oversaw the dismantling of the plan to relocate GTFC to Great Coates. De Freitas (rightly) cops for the majority of the flak for that but it wouldn't have happened without the support of the Tories who dreamt up the marvellous political expedient by which anyone who watched GTFC was disbarred from taking part in the debate or voting, which of course by and large at the time meant Labour local politicians. (J.F. wasn't a councillor for the early part of that particular abomination.) Owing to a sustained national period of growth under Gordon Brown's chancellorship (not a great fan personally but he looks like a genius when compared to Osborne and the current muppet) the financial situation was nationally considerably better than the current Labour administration of NELC have had to work with. Not only did they not use that fact to push ahead with programmes of investment they decided, despite being strongly advised not to do so, to invest OUR money with Icelandic banks a matter of weeks before the banking crash.
Since 2010 the Tory government has progressively reduced the central contribution of cash to Local Authorities to the extent that by 2020 I believe 80% of the money will not be available. For anyone who thinks that those limitations do not pose a significant threat to the provision of services I know that if someone said that my pension was being cut by 80% I'd have to make very significant detrimental changes to my life style. The Tories on NELC are completely disingenuous regarding the subject of finance. Since the cuts started to bite they have had the opportunity each year to propose an alternative budget for the council (something you'd expect the main opposition party to be very keen to do). Every year they have singularly failed to do so. All they've done is jump on individual issues like fortnightly bin collections and the cutting of grass verges without publicly expressing any proposals on how they can afford to repeal those decisions. A matter of two months ago they refused to vote with for the budget put forward by Labour but again wouldn't provide an alternative. It was only with the realisation of the Lib Dems that there was no alternative that the whole situation didn't dissolve into utter chaos-pur political posturing. Who knows-perhaps they are looking at their friends in Northamptonshire County Council who have told central government that they cannot meet their commitments and, as a result, there is the hilarious (unless of course you are resident of that county) situation of a Tory county council being in special measures and on the verge of bankruptcy.
I'll be the first to admit that the Labour Party have made mistakes. Toll Bar has cost them dear over the last few months and the electorate have spoken. It will be interesting to see if the Tories who if the current trend continues, will be in power by this time next year maintain their current support for the Peaks Parkway new ground site. I suspect when faced with the possibility of losing support from the Lib Dems they may miraculously find themselves implaccably opposed to any such thing..

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 62
rancido
May 12, 2018, 7:19pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from barralad

I've purposely kept out of this thread because I have serious reservations about what I perceive to be a major shift in the Labour Party's attitude to the new stadium development (one which I'll be reminding them came about because the council OFFERED GTFC the Parkway site) but having read the thread in its entirety I think it is time for a (recent) history lesson. From 2003 to 2011 N.E. Lincolnshire (there hasn't been a Grimsby council since the mid-1990s) was run by the Tories in coalition with De Freitas's merry band of men and women. From a GTFC perspective that administration oversaw the dismantling of the plan to relocate GTFC to Great Coates. De Freitas (rightly) cops for the majority of the flak for that but it wouldn't have happened without the support of the Tories who dreamt up the marvellous political expedient by which anyone who watched GTFC was disbarred from taking part in the debate or voting, which of course by and large at the time meant Labour local politicians. (J.F. wasn't a councillor for the early part of that particular abomination.) Owing to a sustained national period of growth under Gordon Brown's chancellorship (not a great fan personally but he looks like a genius when compared to Osborne and the current muppet) the financial situation was nationally considerably better than the current Labour administration of NELC have had to work with. Not only did they not use that fact to push ahead with programmes of investment they decided, despite being strongly advised not to do so, to invest OUR money with Icelandic banks a matter of weeks before the banking crash.
Since 2010 the Tory government has progressively reduced the central contribution of cash to Local Authorities to the extent that by 2020 I believe 80% of the money will not be available. For anyone who thinks that those limitations do not pose a significant threat to the provision of services I know that if someone said that my pension was being cut by 80% I'd have to make very significant detrimental changes to my life style. The Tories on NELC are completely disingenuous regarding the subject of finance. Since the cuts started to bite they have had the opportunity each year to propose an alternative budget for the council (something you'd expect the main opposition party to be very keen to do). Every year they have singularly failed to do so. All they've done is jump on individual issues like fortnightly bin collections and the cutting of grass verges without publicly expressing any proposals on how they can afford to repeal those decisions. A matter of two months ago they refused to vote with for the budget put forward by Labour but again wouldn't provide an alternative. It was only with the realisation of the Lib Dems that there was no alternative that the whole situation didn't dissolve into utter chaos-pur political posturing. Who knows-perhaps they are looking at their friends in Northamptonshire County Council who have told central government that they cannot meet their commitments and, as a result, there is the hilarious (unless of course you are resident of that county) situation of a Tory county council being in special measures and on the verge of bankruptcy.
I'll be the first to admit that the Labour Party have made mistakes. Toll Bar has cost them dear over the last few months and the electorate have spoken. It will be interesting to see if the Tories who if the current trend continues, will be in power by this time next year maintain their current support for the Peaks Parkway new ground site. I suspect when faced with the possibility of losing support from the Lib Dems they may miraculously find themselves implaccably opposed to any such thing..

I seem to recall that a precedent had been set when Liverpool wanted to improve Anfield. Any Councillors who were either STH or regular attendees at Anfield were not allowed to vote on any development matters because of a " conflict of interests ". I'm sure this was in the late 90's but my memory isn't too sure about the time.
Also, didn't Liverpool Council face the possibility of going bust many years ago when it was Labour controlled with Derek Hatton as it's leader?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 62
Dogger Bank
May 12, 2018, 7:33pm
Beer Drinker

There's little local government can do, as its had its hands tied over the last 40 years. Less and less control over any services bar bins, bogs and libraries. Not even schools now. All they can do is administer the admissions process each year with all these academies running schools. It's the government that calls the shots and 2/3 of the last 40 years we've had Tory governments. So its odd how you blame Labour yet they've had far less opportunity to do anything.

The fact you criticise Melanie One for being a poor MP at the same time as saying that if the Tories had put up  decent candidate, says it all. So what you're saying is both major parties put up crap candidates in GY. Yet somehow it is Labour who is in the wrong, not both of them.

As for reading the Guardian, are you a Daily Mail reader?

I said if the Tories had chosen a better candidate meaning one that was local and knew the area like the Cleethorpes MP, the fact he's a Tory is irrelevant to me. Mitchell on his last election only won by about 300 votes if my memory serves me right against Victoria Ayling. I don't think Melanie Onn's victories have been that ground breaking so I assume the people of Grimsby are getting more disgruntled with having a Labour MP, unfortunately not enough of them. I actually don't care what party a candidate represents as long as they have the best interests of the town at heart and fully represent the wishes of the people who live here, Melanie Onn doesn't fit that category.

I don't have an allegiance to any paper but the Guardian fits around your views....soft.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 62
headingly_mariner
May 12, 2018, 7:57pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Dogger Bank

I said if the Tories had chosen a better candidate meaning one that was local and knew the area like the Cleethorpes MP, the fact he's a Tory is irrelevant to me. Mitchell on his last election only won by about 300 votes if my memory serves me right against Victoria Ayling. I don't think Melanie Onn's victories have been that ground breaking so I assume the people of Grimsby are getting more disgruntled with having a Labour MP, unfortunately not enough of them. I actually don't care what party a candidate represents as long as they have the best interests of the town at heart and fully represent the wishes of the people who live here, Melanie Onn doesn't fit that category.

I don't have an allegiance to any paper but the Guardian fits around your views....soft.

You do know Melanie Onn was born in and grew up in the town?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 62
barralad
May 12, 2018, 7:59pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from rancido

I seem to recall that a precedent had been set when Liverpool wanted to improve Anfield. Any Councillors who were either STH or regular attendees at Anfield were not allowed to vote on any development matters because of a " conflict of interests ". I'm sure this was in the late 90's but my memory isn't too sure about the time.
Also, didn't Liverpool Council face the possibility of going bust many years ago when it was Labour controlled with Derek Hatton as it's leader?

You surely aren't equating NELC in it's current format with a Militant run Labour council?

For what it is worth I think you are entirely right about the Liverpool thing. It created a totally unfair scenario locally though..

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 62
barralad
May 12, 2018, 8:12pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Dogger Bank

I'm intrigued by your definition of ground breaking. Circa 4K more people voted Labour in 2017 than had voted for the party and same candidate in 2015. That would suggest that far from being disgruntled with the sitting M.P. her constituents are, broadly speaking, liking what is on offer. Her majority was cut in half but that was almost exclusively down to the Tory UKIPpers who returned in slightly greater numbers to their Tory home than previously Labour UKIPpers did to theirs. I'd love to see your evidence for the opinion that a local lass doesn't have the best interests of the town at heart.
As for Austin Mitchell. He came close to losing in 2010 because he put little or no effort into his campaign thinking it was a foregone conclusion. His majority was just over 700 by the way which was close to what it actually was when he was elected in 1977.
Generally speaking I don't much like the Tory party but the area could do a lot worse than Vickers. He doesn't always toe the Tory line and he has recognised the importance (as has Ms Onn) of working together for the benefit of the area.
By the way to bring the newspaper someone may or may not read into a debate shows weakness of argument...

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 62
Gaffer58
May 12, 2018, 9:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
And don't forget it would be Mclusky from Unite that would be pulling the strings.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 62
Dogger Bank
May 12, 2018, 9:27pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

You do know Melanie Onn was born in and grew up in the town?

Yes I do Headingly. It was not the only prerequisite I would have in choosing an MP when I vote. My point was that is the only thing she has in common with her electorate. And if another party, in this case the Tories and probably even UKIP had chosen local candidates they would have maybe won in the last two or three elections. Melanie Onn used her birth place as a big reason to vote for her as if it made her more understanding of the people she was representing but she doesn't. Like I mentioned she's a career politician who changes her outlook because it will get her what she wants and not what is best for the town or people who live in it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 62
HackneyHaddock
May 12, 2018, 10:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Quoted from barralad

By the way to bring the newspaper someone may or may not read into a debate shows weakness of argument...

I can vouch for this, since I'm a Guardian-reading Tory and know full well Barralad is a Telegraph-reading socialist, though I couldn't say if that's still the case given the decline in their cricket coverage.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 62
promotion plaice
May 12, 2018, 10:13pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

Any chance of some footy talk  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 62
forza ivano
May 13, 2018, 12:37am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,159
Gold Stars: 265
Non footy moderator

And can you please bar barralad? He keeps posting facts which keep bu gggering up the arguments of Kingston n dogger and we cant have facts getting in the way of fixated opinions
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 62
MuddyWaters
May 13, 2018, 7:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Whatever your opinion of Melanie Onn, I'd rather have a local MP with some grasp of local issues rather than our current Louth MP who barely knows the way to her constituency let alone anything about it.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 62
Vance Warner
May 13, 2018, 8:41am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,786
Gold Stars: 102
Started this thread to debate the issue of how football fans are treated rather than to get into a debate about local politics. For what it's worth I can't see how anyone can think that voting Tory is in the best interests of post industrial towns like ours. As for the post about Labour being anti white working class football supporters you obviously don't remember the 80's. Non-footy now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 62
Mariner Ronnie
May 13, 2018, 9:19am

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

Very patronising comment about the people of gy . That sounds like u think they’re so thick they can’t figure stuff out and make a decision based on what is best for themselves. And your post later down this thread about foreign labour - well the reason for that is the U.K. population is too fooking lazy to do jobs they think is beneath them . It’s got nothing to do with Labour or Tory policies . Apart from no party having the bollox to cut benefits because they know it would be a definite vote loser .

Don’t tar us all with the same brush LITS, not all of us are lazy, but 100% agree with you on the benefit system.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 62
ska face
May 13, 2018, 9:56am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,640
Gold Stars: 840
Nobody dare cut benefits? What are you talking about? Benefits have been slashed almost constantly under the Tories, especially for working families.

You’re just talking absolute shite. Astounding really.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 62
1mickylyons
May 13, 2018, 9:59am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
She could be so much better but sadly like most Politicians it`s all about her not the town or people she represents.What I will say is whatever her faults she is far better than Victoria Ayling would have been. To get back on topic though for the original poster if Melanie is so concerned about crime and sentencing locally why does she not start a crusade against the travellers who blight our County and make our lives a misery whilst humping up the council tax?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 62
MuddyWaters
May 13, 2018, 10:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons
She could be so much better but sadly like most Politicians it`s all about her not the town or people she represents.What I will say is whatever her faults she is far better than Victoria Ayling would have been. To get back on topic though for the original poster if Melanie is so concerned about crime and sentencing locally why does she not start a crusade against the travellers who blight our County and make our lives a misery whilst humping up the council tax?

There are many 'crimes' committed in Grimsby that go unpunished - such as allowing landlords to take money off tenants and let them live in poorly kept accommodation - without the need to question the sentencing of crimes that have gone before the justice system.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 62
ska face
May 13, 2018, 10:28am

Vodka Drinker
You’d imagine the only reports or evidence that Onn has access to is what has appeared in the local paper which, le’ts be frank, were written as they were reporting on the Nuremberg trials.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 62
barralad
May 13, 2018, 10:29am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from ska face
Nobody dare cut benefits? What are you talking about? Benefits have been slashed almost constantly under the Tories, especially for working families.

You’re just talking absolute shite. Astounding really.

Yep...this thread has officially entered into the world of parody..

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 62
KingstonMariner
May 13, 2018, 10:38am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

You accuse me of being patronising about the people of GY yet you go on to label ALL British people lazy. Jeezus!

And by the way, I wasn't being patronising. I was making the point that there are few well paid jobs so there (hence there being so many exiles and the population of GY declining). When people are desperate for work they are exploitable.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 62
KingstonMariner
May 13, 2018, 10:38am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano
Non footy moderator

And can you please bar barralad? He keeps posting facts which keep bu gggering up the arguments of Kingston n dogger and we cant have facts getting in the way of fixated opinions

Barra's points supported my position.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 62
KingstonMariner
May 13, 2018, 10:45am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Dogger Bank

The point is you're accusing Labour of parachuting in useless candidates, and you also say the Tories did the same. So they're both as bad as each other no? Yet it's all Labour's fault.

Nothing soft about my views. Just because they're different from yours. As for the Guardian, I don't read it or any other paper except the Metro when I can't get my brain in gear in the morning.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 62
blundellpork
May 13, 2018, 12:31pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from promotion plaice

Any chance of some footy talk  

Doesn’t left wing v right wing count?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 62
barralad
May 13, 2018, 1:29pm
Mariners Trust
When was the last time we had a good right winger?  

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 62
chaos33
May 13, 2018, 2:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Kevin Donovan?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 62
mariners1
May 13, 2018, 4:07pm
Shandy Drinker
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +201
Does anyone else remember the days when this use to be a forum about gtfc and football?
Ahhh....those were the days eh?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 62
rancido
May 13, 2018, 5:07pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from mariners1
Does anyone else remember the days when this use to be a forum about gtfc and football?
Ahhh....those were the days eh?

Yes - a bit like when you could have a neutral view about JF and the Board!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 62
MuddyWaters
May 13, 2018, 5:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Yes - a bit like when you could have a neutral view about JF and the Board!

If he'd had a neutral impact on the club I might feel a bit more 'neutral' about him.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 62
barralad
May 13, 2018, 5:34pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from MuddyWaters

If he'd had a neutral impact on the club I might feel a bit more 'neutral' about him.

The O.P. may be disappointed Codge. You've quite probably extended the thread by 10 pages..

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 62
MuddyWaters
May 13, 2018, 5:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

The O.P. may be disappointed Codge. You've quite probably extended the thread by 10 pages..

Well it was getting a bit boring, even for a political activist like you Barra!  
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 62
ska face
May 13, 2018, 5:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Gaffer58
And don't forget it would be Mclusky from Unite that would be pulling the strings.

Yeah, wonder who pulls the strings at Conservative Party HQ...

[img]https://image.ibb.co/csh8kd/0660_ABE4_BB87_4_E99_ACB6_04_E937504_B5_B.jpg[/img]
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 62
barralad
May 13, 2018, 5:58pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Well it was getting a bit boring, even for a political activist like you Barra!  

In my defence I did link to Great Coates...

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 62
GYinScuntland
May 14, 2018, 7:24am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Whatever your opinion of Melanie Onn, I'd rather have a local MP with some grasp of local issues rather than our current Louth MP who barely knows the way to her constituency let alone anything about it.

I'd wolf whistle her and no mistake.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 62
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Melanie Onn

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.