Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wilkinson Leaves (Merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 252 Guests

Wilkinson Leaves (Merged)

This thread currently has 15,878 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
May 11, 2018, 8:16pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from GrimRob
Surprised nobody has mentioned Curtis Woodhouse  

Look what happened to the last media type who suggested Woodhouse might be in for a coaching job at GTFC.

Just don't accept any invitations to chair any meetings at BP Rob.  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 78
jamesgtfc
May 11, 2018, 8:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,938
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Tommy
I remember Wilko's first stint on the coaching staff here under Lawrence (and Groves for a little bit) where he was a First Team Coach I think, alongside the Manager AND Assistant.

I remember him being very well thought of and doing good work with the bunch of u21s we brought in en masse at one point (Chris Thompson, Hockless, Ford, Bolder etc etc) .

Also seem to remember him being widely credited with having a great influence on the quick development of Michael Boulding.

And then Lennie took him to Cardiff. In the years since, there's been many times were people have called for us to get him back as a Coach. (Granted, I realise there's a section of people that only ever want ex players in jobs here, but still).

So it's funny now to see the change in people's opinions on him.

Football, like other areas of life, moves on quickly. Look at the success Big Sam achieved embracing sports science. Now, players at just about every professional club wear those bras. Granted, you still have to interpret the data but it is more about doing it to keep pace now rather than gaining an advantage.

What was new and innovative in 2001 is likely to be archaic in 2018. If you don't move with the times, you often come to the end of the road.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 78
KingstonMariner
May 11, 2018, 8:19pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from fleabag1970
MJ was a city banker ffs   he isn't gonna pick someone to keep the fans happy .

Hope he realises that if he felicitations up here, the taxpayer isn't going to bail him out  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 78
promotion plaice
May 11, 2018, 8:32pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,026
Gold Stars: 194
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Phew! Thank feck it won't be the other way round Rodger/Jolley would be rather unfortunate.

Stop  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 78
Tommy
May 11, 2018, 8:40pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Football, like other areas of life, moves on quickly. Look at the success Big Sam achieved embracing sports science. Now, players at just about every professional club wear those bras. Granted, you still have to interpret the data but it is more about doing it to keep pace now rather than gaining an advantage.

What was new and innovative in 2001 is likely to be archaic in 2018. If you don't move with the times, you often come to the end of the road.

That's fair enough and I get that the game's moved on, massively.

Just think there's a lot of assumptions about him made based on Slade's management that's all. And none of us have probably actually seen him Coach (OK maybe some will have done).

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 78
golfer
May 11, 2018, 9:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,419
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from davmariner

Nah he’ll be first team coach

Skania K14 ?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 78
RexFannies
May 11, 2018, 10:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +517
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from diehardmariner
Collins, Davies, Lester...seen someone suggesting Disley on Twitter.

Let's just wrap this up as quickly as we can, eh?

Wayne Burnett
Chris Hargreaves
Paul Harsley
Craig Shakespeare
John McDermott
Paul Groves
Feel free to add any ex-Town player because heaven forbid Michael Jolley thinks there's a supply of able coaches without a GTFC connection.

Did we not have a player called Marc Goodfellow a few years back?...that would work

The Only Way Is Up
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 66 - 78
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 11, 2018, 10:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Tommy
I remember Wilko's first stint on the coaching staff here under Lawrence (and Groves for a little bit) where he was a First Team Coach I think, alongside the Manager AND Assistant.

I remember him being very well thought of and doing good work with the bunch of u21s we brought in en masse at one point (Chris Thompson, Hockless, Ford, Bolder etc etc) .

Also seem to remember him being widely credited with having a great influence on the quick development of Michael Boulding.

And then Lennie took him to Cardiff. In the years since, there's been many times were people have called for us to get him back as a Coach. (Granted, I realise there's a section of people that only ever want ex players in jobs here, but still).

So it's funny now to see the change in people's opinions on him.

Yes Tommy. I find the criticism hard to understand as well unless it is just that people don’t remember him from before. He is tarred with the Slade brush and that seems unfair. He wasn’t responsible for the results. It is like blaming Steve Bould for Wenger failing to win the league. An assistant is just that - assisting. Not a joint manager like Scott & Hurst. I remember Buckley actually saying as much about Arthur Mann’s job when he first came to BP. Only one man is in charge.

Jolley is right though to want his own assistant and I don’t blame him in the least for making a change, all part of showing that this is a new regime.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 78
arryarryarry
May 11, 2018, 10:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from diehardmariner
Collins, Davies, Lester...seen someone suggesting Disley on Twitter.

Let's just wrap this up as quickly as we can, eh?

Wayne Burnett
Chris Hargreaves
Paul Harsley
Craig Shakespeare
John McDermott
Paul Groves

Feel free to add any ex-Town player because heaven forbid Michael Jolley thinks there's a supply of able coaches without a GTFC connection.

Is Craig Disley already on the coaching staff?.

A little bird told me he saw CD looking after one of the academy teams in a match a couple of weeks ago and  he was wearing a Town track suit.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 78
petethemariner
May 11, 2018, 10:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
RRFC You are right that the manager will usually  make the final decisions, but a good assistant will/should offer astute
thoughtful opinions to the Manager for consideration, perhaps PW did, who knows, but it certainly didn't look like it as our forward movement (something he should surely have improved, as a forward who played at a high level) was appalling.,
Clearly MJ doesn't particularly rate him, so perhaps that tells a story, naturally its sad to see someone lose their job, but a good decision for the future of GTFC IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wilkinson Leaves (Merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.