forza ivano
May 9, 2018, 2:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,134
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from GrimRob

Not impossible, but all of those teams have new stadia. When was the last time a team with an attendance less than 8,000 playing at a traditional ground made it to the top two divisions?

i don't see that that fact has much relevance - Burton's ground is hardly shangri - la is it?.
Far more important is getting a good manager and the right blend of players
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 43
headingly_mariner
May 9, 2018, 3:02pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from GrimRob

There's plenty of clubs dropped down into non-league who are a similar size or bigger than us (Oxford, Luton, Bristol Rovers, Tranmere, Leyton Orient, Hartlepool, Chesterfield, Lincoln, Wrexham). It's not particularly notable or surprising that we did drop to that level given the sort of teams that have played and still play there. I'd say we "belong" in the top half of League 2 but it's probable we will go both up and down again in the next 20 years. I don't expect to see us ever again compete in the Championship unless we move away from Blundell Park.

I’m not expecting us to be in the championship. New clubs that have done well in a new ground have also spent heavily on their squads.  

Do people actually believe that a new ground at PP will bring the club significant year round revenue?
We don’t fill the ground we’ve got and that’s not because we don’t have a shiny. It’s because we have a shite team and s board of directors that are waiting for some good luck. Our attendances are great for this level even though we aren’t very good. Can you imagine the crowds if people felt the board provided an ambitious budget, if maybe we paid a couple of fees.
I get the feeling the ground will be in the wrong place and will be built with the wrong intentions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 43
diehardmariner
May 9, 2018, 4:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,428
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Can you imagine the crowds if people felt the board provided an ambitious budget, if maybe we paid a couple of fees.

You mean like Lincoln down the road?  In their brand new, state of the art, all singing all dancing purpose built stadium?

Was it the show of ambition and capitalising on the euphoria around the football club that saw them achieve record season ticket sales, or was it the new carpet they put down in the Corner Spot bar?

Private Message
Reply: 42 - 43
KingstonMariner
May 9, 2018, 8:06pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Unlock Town's potential? We only just escaped relegation.If it was as simple as just throwing a few million at it why are there so many clubs struggling to survive. It's probably one of the most toxic business' to be in as very little is predictable and support income can be oh so fickle.Even companies in well worn markets with good income streams suffer from down turns because of unseen influences.The money John Fenty has put into the club is a very considerable amount and way beyond 99.9% of supporters yet a minority still keep harping on as though it is small change,which it certainly is not. As I've stated before  I firmly believe Ramsden (who also didn't have much support from fans) saw him coming and baled out asap. Mr Fenty has his faults -as do all of us- but without his cash input the club probably would have gone to the wall by now.  

In case the message Ginny posted hasn't sunk in, to quote that Codalmighty diary again:

'He saved us from the taxman when we owed £700k. Yet now we owe £2million. To him. That's some rescue. Like saving a drowning man by lassoing him round the neck and giving the rope a good yank.'

Case closed.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lessons learned

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.