4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
VinnyGTFC
May 6, 2018, 8:49am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +125
Gold Stars: 20
Perhaps the run in has changed views on who needs to be released now this season has closed however my thoughts are the following out of contracts should be released

Osborne
Davies
Clarke
McAllister
Berret
Woolford
Vernon
McSheffery

With those in contract If Jolley thinks he can get something out of Hooper, Cardwell and Rose then fair enough but Kelly and Dixon need a change of club. None of the loans gave set the place on fire and happy to see all return to their respective clubs.
Private Message
HackneyHaddock
May 6, 2018, 9:03am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
We all know the name of the first person who needs to be cleared out of Grimsby Town in order for the club to progress.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 36
AndyDarloFC
May 6, 2018, 10:17am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
Would happily take McAllister to Darlo.

If he comes, tell him that he gets to come to PSV Eindhoven away in July and a urine up after the game.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 36
AdamHaddock
May 6, 2018, 10:21am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,824
Gold Stars: 26
Two words

Injury prone

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 36
Mariner_09
May 6, 2018, 10:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from VinnyGTFC
Perhaps the run in has changed views on who needs to be released now this season has closed however my thoughts are the following out of contracts should be released

Osborne
Davies
Clarke
McAllister
Berret
Woolford
Vernon
McSheffery

With those in contract If Jolley thinks he can get something out of Hooper, Cardwell and Rose then fair enough but Kelly and Dixon need a change of club. None of the loans gave set the place on fire and happy to see all return to their respective clubs.

Agree with that list except I'd release Dembele as well, he went missing when the going got tough and has looked like he doesn't want to be here. I'd still see if anyone wants him as if we release we get nothing but if we can be certain of someone taking him on then I'd trigger his extension and try and bag 200k or something.

I also think he'll release Mills, he didn't play very much for MJ when he was fit, think he much prefers RHJ. I'm also 50/50 on trying to ship out Rose, 3 well dispatched penalties don't disguise some of his other disastrous performances and his lack of ability on the ball as well as his hot-headed style.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 36
Lincoln Mariner 56
May 6, 2018, 10:50am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,685
Gold Stars: 73
Thought Rose showed against Notts County that he has much more to offer than taking penalties. He can be very skilful on the ball, gets stuck in and gets up & down the field which together should make him half decent at this level.

Issue has been him being too rash in the tackle, trying to be skilful in the wrong areas of the pitch and before MJ came a tendency to disappear second half. With the correct coaching, advice and support think he may be our next Rob Jones. Pretty poor first season but rock solid the second.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 36
Madeleymariner
May 6, 2018, 10:59am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
He will keep Mills, can play in centre defence quite well if needed especially in a 3 as the pace between our 2 old men, sure Jolly was saying how good he was the other day in an interview.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 36
HertsGTFC
May 6, 2018, 11:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Mariner_09

Agree with that list except I'd release Dembele as well, he went missing when the going got tough and has looked like he doesn't want to be here. I'd still see if anyone wants him as if we release we get nothing but if we can be certain of someone taking him on then I'd trigger his extension and try and bag 200k or something.

I also think he'll release Mills, he didn't play very much for MJ when he was fit, think he much prefers RHJ. I'm also 50/50 on trying to ship out Rose, 3 well dispatched penalties don't disguise some of his other disastrous performances and his lack of ability on the ball as well as his hot-headed style.

Keep Dembele as he does have something and maybe MJ can bring the best out of him, Mills can play RB, LB and CB at a push so worth keeping. Rose is contracted and like a number of others looks a different player under MJ    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 36
sydney
May 6, 2018, 11:19am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Keep Mills
If we can keep him off the treatment table
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 36
Mariner_09
May 6, 2018, 11:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Keep Dembele as he does have something and maybe MJ can bring the best out of him, Mills can play RB, LB and CB at a push so worth keeping. Rose is contracted and like a number of others looks a different player under MJ    

I'd keep Mills but I don't think MJ will is the point I was making. I know Rose is contracted but I do not think he is good enough to be an integral part of a side challenging higher up the table (if our ambition is a top half finish and potentially flirt with the play offs. Dembele is overrated, his games has numerous glaring inadequacies: his first touch, his decision making, his final ball, his defensive work (or lack of) and his top speed.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 36
AndyDarloFC
May 6, 2018, 11:45am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Two words

Injury prone

If he's willing to go Part-Time, he's certainly got the quality for the level we're at. Would love someone like him to shore up with the midfield alongside Phil Turnbull.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 36
RonMariner
May 6, 2018, 12:03pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,648
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from AndyDarloFC

If he's willing to go Part-Time, he's certainly got the quality for the level we're at. Would love someone like him to shore up with the midfield alongside Phil Turnbull.

You are welcome to Dixon and Kelly.

No, really, we insist. Please take them

Pretty please?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 36
TwoLeftFeet
May 6, 2018, 12:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,076
Gold Stars: 18
Quite a few of the out of contract players are the more senior ones so would imagine on more money too.. be nice to put the saving into a couple of quality strikers and a midfielder
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 36
AndyDarloFC
May 6, 2018, 12:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

You are welcome to Dixon and Kelly.

No, really, we insist. Please take them

Pretty please?

Thanks, but I think we'll pass. We've got 2 young and upcoming wingers to cover those positions who we'll sell for big bucks soon enough  

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 36
Abdul19
May 6, 2018, 1:26pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,541
Gold Stars: 215
McAllister said in Feb/Mar that he'd not missed a day's training in 4 months. I think he'd be a decent signing for a Conference North team.

As for Dembele, I think Jolley could work wonders with him. Maybe like a budget version of Guardiola and Sterling!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 36
VinnyGTFC
May 6, 2018, 6:15pm
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +125
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from Mariner_09

Think I agree on Dembele gifted player who has never once influenced a game with that ability. Not sure whether he will with experience or wether the reason we are his first league club is a telling story.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 36
jonnyboy82
May 6, 2018, 6:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
I would have no losing sleep by letting these players go..

Cardwell
Mcallister
Dixon
Berrett
Kelly
Osbourne
Killip
Clarke
Woolford

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 36
Northbank Mariner
May 6, 2018, 6:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Have to disagree with letting woolford go...football is sometimes about understanding and chemistry, since MJ put him midfield you can see his ability, guile and with him, rose and summers as our 3 in midfield theres no coincidence that we had the upturn in our fortune and that we started to keep the ball on the ground and actually play football...as for Dembele, I feel for the kid bit do agree with others, there was a reason he was stuck in the academy and not picked up by a another team, just doesn't have what it takes to cut in full time pro football for me...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 36
horsforthmariner
May 6, 2018, 6:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,598
Gold Stars: 9
The posts on Dembele are ridiculous. Of course we should keep him. Loads of kids burst onto the scene but struggle towards the end of their first season. It's tiredness and the body takes time to get used to the battering it takes as a pro. He'l learn and come on better next season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 36
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 6, 2018, 7:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from horsforthmariner
The posts on Dembele are ridiculous. Of course we should keep him. Loads of kids burst onto the scene but struggle towards the end of their first season. It's tiredness and the body takes time to get used to the battering it takes as a pro. He'l learn and come on better next season.

He either will or he won't but I agree, he should be kept on. He has not been properly coached this year IMO and he has not dominated games but there is a reason for that. His decision making tends to vary from the average to the woeful and he does not look up to pick a pass until he actually has the ball at his feet. I would like to see if another coach can get him to concentrate on that because he has the natural ability to be a really good player.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 36
jamesgtfc
May 6, 2018, 9:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,938
Gold Stars: 190
I think it was telling that yesterday MJ fielded an unchanged 11 and I expect most of that team to be offered a deal this week.  If anything, he might look to move on both centre halves or at least one of them to bring some much needed pace to the position.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 36
HertsGTFC
May 6, 2018, 9:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I think it was telling that yesterday MJ fielded an unchanged 11 and I expect most of that team to be offered a deal this week.  If anything, he might look to move on both centre halves or at least one of them to bring some much needed pace to the position.

I would agree with this. The CB’s post an interesting question though. A bit of pace is an asset in any position without a doubt but I’ve been to most games this season and can’t remember too many times when they’ve been beaten in an out and out foot race.

Feels like we’ve  conceded a lot of goals through a lack of mobility (aged legs) poor organisation, sh1t communication and as ever sitting too deep.

Under MJ the Dads Army at the back have looked pretty solid but if you look across the season Collins will be offered a deal and Clarke released which works for me.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 36
Northbank Mariner
May 6, 2018, 9:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Again I'll have my 2 pennys worth....I wouldn't be upset if we kept Clarke and Collins has been immense,  but age has to be factor, keep Collins for next season and feed Mills into that role, he has the pace, can certainly tackle but needs to learn how to pass the ball out with greater accuracy...I'd say farewell to Berret, Kelly, Osborne and there's not one of the loan players I'd look to sign...going to be interesting on Wednesday when we see the retained list though..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 36
LondonMariner43
May 6, 2018, 9:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
I would agree that the starting 11 from yesterday are likely to be retained - don’t think we had any loan players in that 11 and unchanged from Notts County.

After a bit of change early on, MJ seems to have tried and dropped a few players and found the ones who can perform for him.  Hard to tell what he thinks about the ones who have been injured - Dembele, Vernon and Mills.

His time in charge shows that often the difference between a good player and a bad one is a good manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 36
Abdul19
May 6, 2018, 9:55pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,541
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from horsforthmariner

Exactly. Bogle had a big dip in form during his first pro season. In his second he'd scored 19 by January.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 36
99agrant
May 7, 2018, 10:34am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +128
Gold Stars: 4
I would look to keep all 3 of the defensive senior players Davies Clarke and Collins. Look how solid we have been in recent weeks. They could be joined by a couple of younger pacy defenders. Must also keep Summerfield my player of the year. We reallly missed him when he was injured.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 36
Madeleymariner
May 7, 2018, 10:38am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from 99agrant
I would look to keep all 3 of the defensive senior players Davies Clarke and Collins. Look how solid we have been in recent weeks. They could be joined by a couple of younger pacy defenders. Must also keep Summerfield my player of the year. We reallly missed him when he was injured.

Disagree at least 2 of those should go, because our defence lacks pace we have to defend deep. Its not as if we batter everything in the air away is it so what are we giving up pace for if we cant defend an aerial bombardment?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 36
blundellpork
May 8, 2018, 4:26am

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
Davies 30 minutes on Saturday will have been his final appearance for the club. Our lack of pace at the back will see him and probably Clarke released. I fully expect Dembele to leave as being honest, although he looks very skilful, he achieves very little. The fact that he barely featured in the final few games would suggest that Jolley feels the same.

Berrett, McAllister, Vernon, Killip, Woolford, McSheffrey and the loan players to all depart. Wouldn’t rule out Vernam reappearing on loan again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 36
Swansea_Mariner
May 8, 2018, 7:17am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Dembele has been injured hasn't he, that's why he hasn't made the squad.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 36
LondonMariner43
May 8, 2018, 7:26am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
Not sure why everyone expects Killip to be released?

He is still young for a keeper.  He has played 7 times this season - his first football league appearances.  He’s not Macca but we won’t get a keeper of his quality to be back up.

I’ve heard he was well thought of as a youth at Chelsea.  I’d give him another year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 36
Stew0_0
May 8, 2018, 7:34am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,198
Gold Stars: 35
Would keep

McKeown
Mills
Hall Johnson
Collins
Fox
Dembele
Summerfield
Rose
Clifton
Wright
Hooper
Akheem Rose

The rest should be released or loan end.

Gives us scope to bring 11/12 new players in to improve us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 36
Davec
May 8, 2018, 7:38am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Jolley is talking to the players today so I would assume that the list will be announced tomorrow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 36
lukeo
May 8, 2018, 7:49am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
McKeown
Hall Johnson
Clarke
Collins
Fox
Clifton
Rose
Hooper
Summerfield
Woolford
Cardwell
Akheem rose
Wright
Clifton
Kelly
Berret

Realistically think this will be the retained list. Although providing we can find better I wouldn't be to bothered if a few of them go (especially the last 2!) I think it gives us a good start, if we can bring in 4 or 5 top quality players for this level and 3 or 4 average it'll be an excellent squad. Those 4 or 5 will push the players already here (or take over) their starting place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 36
Ipswin
May 8, 2018, 7:53am
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
We all know the name of the first person who needs to be cleared out of Grimsby Town in order for the club to progress.

Bit harsh on Macca, I thought he'd had quite a good season  

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 36
headingly_mariner
May 8, 2018, 12:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from VinnyGTFC

Think I agree on Dembele gifted player who has never once influenced a game with that ability. Not sure whether he will with experience or wether the reason we are his first league club is a telling story.

Scored 4 times including a couple of winners. Provided some match winning assists. In his first season in pro football.  

It would be madness not to renew his contract.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 36
SteveL
May 8, 2018, 12:45pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +30
I'll let MJ decide who he wants to keep and get rid of. He seems a pretty good judge so far!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 36
Cloudy
May 8, 2018, 3:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Just because we may want to retain this or that player doesnt mean they will stay.
Summerfield for instance, I bet he will have other offers based on performances and if Jolley sticks with the living within an hour rule he will be offski. Collins though suggesyed there will be a deal for him yet he lives well over an hour away.

Lets just wait and see

UTM
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 36
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Clearout time

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.