3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
May 8, 2018, 11:41am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,108
Gold Stars: 548
Collins is a definite for me. He is as good a centre back has we have had for a few seasons. His age is irrelevant.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
Maringer
May 8, 2018, 11:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
I personally think it would be a bit of a risk to keep Collins as it could be a season too far. He's done well for us and has managed to avoid injury since he joined but I'm not convinced I'd want him as a regular starter this next season. Wouldn't be a great idea to have him as a back-up defender as I think you need to be playing regularly to keep your fitness up at his age.

That said, it appears he's likely to re-sign for another year so hopefully he'll do well enough to prove my doubts wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
ginnywings
May 8, 2018, 12:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,108
Gold Stars: 548
Completely disagree. He was the best player on the pitch in a lot of the games i saw last season. Think people get too hung up on age. He's old-ergo he must be slow and unfit.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
Grantley
May 8, 2018, 12:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
I think you can keep one of Clarke and Collins, as keeping both isn’t a good idea. As others have said, I’d have Collins everytime.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
rancido
May 8, 2018, 12:13pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
I don't think it would be a good idea to start next season with a completely new centre-back pairing. Of the two I would prefer Collins any day of the week. He's an old, experienced professional who has played at the highest UK level. Pair him with a youngish centre-back with potential and I think we will be ok in that department. I know it's all water under the bridge but it still rankles me that Slade insisted on bringing Clarke in last summer and ultimately Pearson was sacrificed. If we had had that pairing ( Collins and Pearson )then I don't think our goals against tally would have been so high but onwards and upwards.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
RichMariner
May 8, 2018, 12:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Age is relative. People were saying Disley's legs were going when he was 33.

It's only a matter of time before someone mentions the name Paul Futcher, so I've just done it now to save you all the bother

I measure players on what they've shown. To me, Collins doesn't play like a grandad. He's good enough at 37 so why suddenly is 38 a problem?

Good on the bloke for going this long. Most people who played in the Prem retire at the top and don't bother giving something back lower down the leagues.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
hheh2
May 8, 2018, 12:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Next seasons captain?

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
jonnyboy82
May 8, 2018, 2:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
I have no problems keeping collins and clarke but only under the terms they are not guaranteed to start.

I think we need to freshen it up at centre back imo and they are Ideal back up if needed and experience in the dressing room.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
Cloudy
May 8, 2018, 3:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from jonnyboy82
I have no problems keeping collins and clarke but only under the terms they are not guaranteed to start.

I think we need to freshen it up at centre back imo and they are Ideal back up if needed and experience in the dressing room.

Nobody should be guaranteed a start, absolutely nobody!!!
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
MuddyWaters
May 8, 2018, 3:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from jonnyboy82

I would keep Collins to play alongside a centre back with younger legs.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Danny Collins

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.