3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Superdan147
May 5, 2018, 8:25am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -5
Approval: +112
Gold Stars: 5
Nice interview with matt dean on radio humberside. Sounds impressed with the work MJ has done since he came and certainly sounds like he’s going to be signing a new deal for next season!

Think I’d be happy with this, been a good player for us over the last 2 years. Hoping we can find a really good partner for him at CB . Don’t think I’d be comfortable with clarke again, despite a much improved last 2 months. Still feel we some pace and physicality alongside danny.

Everyone else’s thoughts on Danny’s probable stay?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner93er
May 5, 2018, 8:34am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
I think he'll keep both clarke and collins on a reduced wage if possible, then look to sign 2 younger centre backs potentially from the u23 leagues.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
jimgtfc
May 5, 2018, 8:46am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,009
Gold Stars: 40
I’d be very pleased if he stayed, like he said he’s played 40 odd games this season and trains every day so age doesn’t really matter in that respect. He’s played fairly well in a very poor side so with some improvements to the squad he should be a key part of it and he’s a great role model for the younger lads. He also mentions his coaching so maybe it’ll be a deal that means he can muck in with that side of it too.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
marinerrick
May 5, 2018, 8:49am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +52
I'd be happy with them both signing. Both solid CB need pace either side of them and then think good back 4
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
RoboCod
May 5, 2018, 10:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
I'm a big Collins fan, my favourite outfield player. Would love to see him commit, he somehow stayed a decent and reliable player throughout the Slade-led debacle.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
HertsGTFC
May 5, 2018, 10:09am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,639
Gold Stars: 217
I’d be delighted to keep DC, he’s a warrior and knows how to defend. Pair him with a youngster next year and see what happens.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
Roast Em Bobby
May 5, 2018, 10:24am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,706
Gold Stars: 43
Not exactly moving forwards or solving our lack of pace at the back if we keep both of them. Ideally I'd like to see a completely new centre back pairing, but if we are going to keep one of them then I'd prefer Collins over Clarke. Clarke scares me when the ball is on the deck.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
moosey_club
May 5, 2018, 12:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Dominant aerially all season as far as i can recall, naturally left sided too which is handy in a centre back pairing.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
Kris2
May 5, 2018, 12:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
If he can look towards coaching with us too then he could be a real asset. I agree we probably need somebody else to play alongside him with some pace. I actually thought Collins and Pearson worked really well so if we can find a similar kind of player with some pace then we'd be on to something. I don't think age is a big deal at this level for a player like him. There are players who play at the top level in England and Europe when they are pushing 40 so quality doesn't always go down with age when they are super fit. Might not be able to play in the Premiership now but can easily play at this level.

We need somebody at the back who is good in the air and he can also pop up with some goals too. Plus if we have younger people in the side next season at the back then playing alongside him can improve them I'm sure. I think Pearson got tons better when Collins came in and they were paired up.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
diehardmariner
May 8, 2018, 11:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
As solid as they have been in the last few weeks, I wouldn't feel confident going into the season with Clarke and Collins as the first choice pairing.  I think we can only really keep one and of the two I would definitely opt for Collins.  

I know he'll start the season as a 38-year-old but there's probably a good year left in his legs, especially as he was a relative late starter to the professional game at 21. He reads the game well enough to make up for any lack of pace and in all honesty I don't think he was ever the quickest so you never really lose what you never had.

I would definitely like to see him paired up with a quicker and younger partners though.  Across the back we've lacked pace all season, painfully so at times.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Danny Collins

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.