Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Local Elections.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 348 Guests

Local Elections.

This thread currently has 1,955 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Cloudy
May 8, 2018, 7:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from KingstonMariner
What's his position on the PP stadium proposal?

Don't know but for me he will have picked up loads of votes because he didn't stand on an anti PP stadium mandate.
The Labour candidates pamphlet was based almost entirely upon his opposition to the ground. It isn't topical, it isn't happening and people want their councillor to focus on local issues like anti social behaviour, pot holes, waste collections etc
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 17
KingstonMariner
May 8, 2018, 10:26pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Maringer

Craig Murray had a bit of a rant about this. Given his worldview (much of it backed up by his experiences in the foreign office!), he sees this as shameless conspiracy, but I'm less convinced.

I think it's more a case the modern day (shoddy) journalism has become less about reporting what has actually occurred and more about reporting about what the prevailing narrative says. In this case, Labour wanted to win a few solidly Tory councils, but didn't manage the feat. Therefore, the journalists ignore the rest of the numbers and report it as a failure and also see if they can blame any of it on the claims of left-wing antisemitism which have been whipped up over the past year or two.

Apparently, the fact that the Tories did pretty badly in these local elections was a boost to the party and Theresa May - that they weren't wiped out despite the callous ineptitude of the government is somehow seen as strength! The fact that you could put a blue rosette on a pig in many of these wards and it would still be elected isn't seen as worthy of a mention. It's the same for many staunch Labour areas, of course.

Cue lots of articles/reports which attempt to paint widespread movements in the political direction from these local elections without any real mention of the actual results.

Yeah, it was Murray that I read after the link was forwarded to me by a conspiracy nut friend. I tend towards the member-up view (better fit with Occam's Razor). But I do wonder how the BBC has allowed itself to come to this pass. Maybe it's been a longer, slower decline than I thought. But it's shocking. The print media I understand - it's a dying business and they're doing anything to cut costs and increase revenue. The BBC is pretty much protected from this (yes they've had real cuts like having to take on the World Service costs from the FCO, but they do lots of discretionary stuff they could cut and be active in seeking user fees for their web services other than asking if 'm a licence fee payer).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 17
Skrill
May 9, 2018, 10:22pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
Local councils are meaningless really as a indicator for political change since turnout is understandably poor. Look at Brexit. A wholeheartedly democratic vote and ignored by the political elite, ignored by the House of Lords, ignored by even those who claim to be behind it (Theresa May) and ignored by those it directly challenges (EU elite). Hell the British public since the 1950s has been majority against mass-immigration and yet it has only been rampant to demographic change. Some people would call me many words for making such a claim, however it is a claim based entirely in fact. Democracy is the best system, but at times showcases many lapses and illusions of freedom.

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 17
KingstonMariner
May 9, 2018, 10:40pm
Meths Drinker
Don't see the connection between low turnouts at local elections and the Brexit Skrill. None whatsoever. Turnouts at local elections have been low for donkeys years. Since long before Brexit was even an idea.

And as big a member-up as it's making of it. The government are hardly ignoring Brexit. They're trying to implement it. In their own member-eyed way, trying to make the best of a bad job.

And what does, 'Hell the British public since the 1950s has been majority against mass-immigration and yet it has only been rampant to demographic change' mean? The British public has been rampant to demographic change? Mss immigration has been rampant to demographic change?

I wouldn't call you for making such a claim. Mainly because I don't know what you're saying.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 17
Skrill
May 10, 2018, 7:08pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Don't see the connection between low turnouts at local elections and the Brexit Skrill. None whatsoever. Turnouts at local elections have been low for donkeys years. Since long before Brexit was even an idea.

And as big a member-up as it's making of it. The government are hardly ignoring Brexit. They're trying to implement it. In their own member-eyed way, trying to make the best of a bad job.

And what does, 'Hell the British public since the 1950s has been majority against mass-immigration and yet it has only been rampant to demographic change' mean? The British public has been rampant to demographic change? Mass immigration has been rampant to demographic change?

I wouldn't call you for making such a claim. Mainly because I don't know what you're saying.

They are both linked since, albeit in a non-important manner. It is Government getting involved with peoples lives. Brexit is very simple. Leave the European Union, so you also leave the Customs Union as well since staying in the Customs Union is still within the EU. Let the market decide, since this is the most important factory for prosperity; if you look at the history of economics not once has Government interference in the market made a long-lasting positive. Leave the European Courts of Justice and create a British Bill of Rights enshrining liberties like Magna Carta, and many others into Americanised Amendments, so citizens can actually defend and cite an amendment to defend themselves from the government. The UK today has no freedom of speech, http://www.breitbart.com/londo.....e-comments-one-year/ .Things like freedom of speech, expression, thought and religion, look at the US constitution for my point on this.

- Immigration is unpopular, with approximately three quarters of the British public favouring reduced levels
http://www.migrationobservator.....nd-level-of-concern/

- Large numbers of Brits want stricter migration policy from Conservatives and Labour
https://www.westmonster.com/la.....rvatives-and-labour/

Public attitudes towards immigration
https://fullfact.org/immigration/public-attitudes-towards-immigration/

Go to 6:10 for an economic analysis of mass-immigration on Britain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBF0m94wBIg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-ZFD7bZwJE

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 17
moosey_club
May 10, 2018, 8:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,142
Gold Stars: 220
i live next door to a pub that houses a polling station....i never saw a single candidate, door knocker or leaflet in the build up to the elections or on the day itself... so i didnt bother voting ...which does pain me as while i am not politically motivated or bias i do respect that people have fought to ensure we can vote so i usually make the effort out of respect to them.

If none of the candidates and canvassers could be bothered then why the fck should i be ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 17
KingstonMariner
May 10, 2018, 11:23pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Skrill

They are both linked since, albeit in a non-important manner. It is Government getting involved with peoples lives. Brexit is very simple. Leave the European Union, so you also leave the Customs Union as well since staying in the Customs Union is still within the EU. Let the market decide, since this is the most important factory for prosperity; if you look at the history of economics not once has Government interference in the market made a long-lasting positive. Leave the European Courts of Justice and create a British Bill of Rights enshrining liberties like Magna Carta, and many others into Americanised Amendments, so citizens can actually defend and cite an amendment to defend themselves from the government. The UK today has no freedom of speech, http://www.breitbart.com/londo.....e-comments-one-year/ .Things like freedom of speech, expression, thought and religion, look at the US constitution for my point on this.

- Immigration is unpopular, with approximately three quarters of the British public favouring reduced levels
http://www.migrationobservator.....nd-level-of-concern/

- Large numbers of Brits want stricter migration policy from Conservatives and Labour
https://www.westmonster.com/la.....rvatives-and-labour/

Public attitudes towards immigration
https://fullfact.org/immigration/public-attitudes-towards-immigration/

Go to 6:10 for an economic analysis of mass-immigration on Britain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBF0m94wBIg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-ZFD7bZwJE

Have you got John Fenty writing your posts for you? They're about as clear as one of his statements.

By your logic, the Highway Code is linked to Brexit because that too is government getting involved in people's lives.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 17
barralad
May 11, 2018, 7:25pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,194
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Cloudy

Don't know but for me he will have picked up loads of votes because he didn't stand on an anti PP stadium mandate.
The Labour candidates pamphlet was based almost entirely upon his opposition to the ground. It isn't topical, it isn't happening and people want their councillor to focus on local issues like anti social behaviour, pot holes, waste collections etc

For someone who I thought was way off my wavelength I think you have this just about spot on. I think Labour made a massive mistake using the stadium as the primary issue on their leaflet. They cannot beat the Lib Dems on an anti platform because they've been banging on about it for over two years. The fact that the leaflet was even published with that issue leading suggests a change of heart at the top of the Labour Party who it must be remembered OFFERED the Parkway site to the club. Strangely the Tories who have previously rallied round JF (their councillors delivered 1000s of the Trust leaflet way back) are probably the biggest supporters of the development..a position councillor Silvester will have little difficulty in coming into line with..

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 17
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Local Elections.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.