2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
May 2, 2018, 12:57pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,382
Gold Stars: 56
When we kick off next Season I hope some proper thought goes into this and I actually think MJ might do well here and be able to best exploit it to our advantage? I would like 2-3 youngsters from  Clubs higher up the pyramid with the onus on us to give them game time it`s a shame with the lad from Villa how little he has played due in most part our poor form.I watched Townsend for Scunny last night and he looked what he is an accomplished league 1 player a lot of that down to valuable experience he gained playing for the likes of Town,Carlisle.If we could get a couple of lads in with his potential and raw talent at 18-21 we can only get better
Logged Offline
Private Message
Cloudy
May 2, 2018, 1:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from 1mickylyons
When we kick off next Season I hope some proper thought goes into this and I actually think MJ might do well here and be able to best exploit it to our advantage? I would like 2-3 youngsters from  Clubs higher up the pyramid with the onus on us to give them game time it`s a shame with the lad from Villa how little he has played due in most part our poor form.I watched Townsend for Scunny last night and he looked what he is an accomplished league 1 player a lot of that down to valuable experience he gained playing for the likes of Town,Carlisle.If we could get a couple of lads in with his potential and raw talent at 18-21 we can only get better

Sort of agree but I heard some fans saying on Saturday that we started the game without a single loanee? Many of the loanees dont train with us full time so thats a negative although I accept these are mainly the short term loans

If so and that was the best performance of the season then maybe that says something too??
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 12
ginnywings
May 2, 2018, 1:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
There were times earlier in the season when we had what seemed like an entire team of players who were not contracted to us out on the pitch. Slade didn't even know how many we had at one point. Many of them had no long term investment in us staying up, and i think that was one of our problems at the time. Nothing wrong with loanees, but too many can cause issues. I'd like to see Vernam back, and 2 or 3 more of his ilk in various positions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
Belfast Town
May 2, 2018, 1:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +1,689
Gold Stars: 19
Personally I don’t like the use of loan players and would much rather have players signed up with a stake in the club, rather than some other one.

I think loan signings should be used for:
- try before you buy; or
- emergency cover in key positions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 12
1mickylyons
May 2, 2018, 2:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,382
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Belfast Town
Personally I don’t like the use of loan players and would much rather have players signed up with a stake in the club, rather than some other one.

I think loan signings should be used for:
- try before you buy; or
- emergency cover in key positions.

The emergency cover worked well years ago when we signed Todd and Pringle then years later Paterson,Pulis and Till
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 2, 2018, 2:18pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Season long loans are sometimes OK but is it a good idea to have more than 1 or 2? Hurst has often fielded 4 or 5 loanees this year at Shrewsbury. We could argue that they would not have done as well without them, especially Henderson in goal, but what happens next? Another 4 or 5 of similar quality are needed just to stand still. I would rather go down the Accrington route and have a bunch of players with a stake in loyalty to the club and to each other and just the odd loanee as needed.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 12
tanga_the_indestructible
May 2, 2018, 2:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +620
Gold Stars: 5
For a contrast, Luton Town had two loanees this season, one of whom they committed to sign once the loan period was over.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 12
Abdul19
May 2, 2018, 2:43pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
The emergency cover thing doesn't really apply anymore as one month loans aren't an option. There's more of a commitment to loans these days, not sure if this is a good thing really  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
sonofmadeleymariner
May 2, 2018, 5:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37
2 or 3 loanees who are in and around the starting squad/ subs bench isn't that bad. For a club our size its a chance to get some quality players into the squad for little cash or risk. But if we were to repeat what we did this season I don't see how it can help the club all that much.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
moosey_club
May 2, 2018, 9:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
From memory..

Matt - season long loan, scored THE vital goal....indifferent all season
Kean - keeper brought in for cover who looked very shakey and then "got injured" and was never seen again
Wilkes - Looked bright....but injury interfered
Jackson - scored a goal...then injured
Vernam - looked a very positive player, promising ..but again injury interfered
DJ - season long (? honestly cant remember) ..hit and miss form
Suliman - looked too young and inexperienced for me in reality and looked shaky as a result...if he had been given more of a chance who knows but didnt stamp his authority when he was given a glimpse of a shirt.

the best looking options on this seasons loan front have all been scuppered by injury, the rest havnt been that succesful in truth. We need a good core squad of our own in for next season with a sprinkling of high end loan talent to bolster where required..the ridiculous loan approach of Slade was pretty much an unmitigated flop.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Loan Market

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.