2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Youngy
May 2, 2018, 9:56am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,667
Gold Stars: 9
Last night AFC Wimbledon got a point at Doncaster to ensure there safety in league one for next season and it means they will be a league higher then MK Dons for the first time in there history.

Surely this is the greatest example of karma in football history?
Logged Offline
Private Message
horsforthmariner
May 2, 2018, 10:09am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,575
Gold Stars: 8
im really glad about that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 10
RonMariner
May 2, 2018, 10:35am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,010
Gold Stars: 216
Very satisfying.

It just shows, you can have your club stolen from you by businessmen, but the true essence of a club is in the hearts of the true supporters.

Congratulations.

I think I will attend the away game at MK Dons, though a boycott is an attractive option, in the hope of seeing us beat them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
RichMariner
May 2, 2018, 11:49am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
When MK Dons took Wimbledon's place in the Football League, AFC Wimbledon formed. That much we know.

But think about the knock-on effect. AFCW's existence in non-league will have nudged other teams down a bit. When AFC won promotion, the runners-up may have come top had AFC not existed.

Not blaming AFCW at all - it's a consequence of MKD buying their place in the FL and not caring who gets hurt along the way.

There will be a lot of non-league teams that lost out to AFCW in a promotion race - they can blame MKD for that.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
Les Brechin
May 2, 2018, 12:47pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
As much as I despise MK Dons and all they stand for, AFC Wimbledon are hardly saints having sold the lease of Kingsmeadow (the home of Kingstonian) where they play home games, to Chelsea who wouldn't accommodate Kingstonian, who have now been made homeless and had to play their games at Leatherhead last season and next season they are having to groundshare with Corinthian Casuals.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
arryarryarry
May 2, 2018, 11:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,940
Gold Stars: 113
I don't give a toss about either of the teams.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
KingstonMariner
May 3, 2018, 1:13am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from RichMariner
When MK Dons took Wimbledon's place in the Football League, AFC Wimbledon formed. That much we know.

But think about the knock-on effect. AFCW's existence in non-league will have nudged other teams down a bit. When AFC won promotion, the runners-up may have come top had AFC not existed.

Not blaming AFCW at all - it's a consequence of MKD buying their place in the FL and not caring who gets hurt along the way.

There will be a lot of non-league teams that lost out to AFCW in a promotion race - they can blame MKD for that.

Only 1 in each division they were in would have lost out. So Combined Counties, Isthmian League One South, Isthmian Premier, Conference South and Conference National. So five in total.

Along the way they would have boosted the gate receipts at many small clubs.

The biggest losers arguably are Kingstonian. But they were copulated financially anyway due to overspending in the Geoff Chapple era (nobody complained then when they were winning the Trophy twice and were pushing for promotion to the League). Possibly AFCW buying the lease off Kingstonian's erstwhile owners and letting them carry on playing there stopped them folding altogether. Next season the K's are back in the borough and will be sharing with Corinthian Casuals down at King George's near Tolworth.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
mariner83
May 3, 2018, 7:24am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
One thing I've never understood about (adult) Franchise FC supporters, who did they support before?  I don't live in NE Lincs but I wouldn't suddenly stop supporting Town if a league club appeared where I do live.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
scrumble
May 3, 2018, 8:00am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from RichMariner
But think about the knock-on effect. AFCW's existence in non-league will have nudged other teams down a bit. .

AFCW would not have been created if Wankerman hadn't bought Wimbledons league place. The ridiculous thing is, Milton Keynes already had a football club at the time, if he'd spent the same amount of money has he has on Franchise he could have brought up through the leagues and been seen has some sort of hero, instead of the lying, deceitful, greasy little excrement he is.

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
GrimRob
May 3, 2018, 8:26am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
I hate AFCW. Everyone makes them out to be saints but the fact is they have destroyed the greyhound track by taking their stadium and replacing it with a football ground.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › AFC Wimbledon

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.