Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Player targets
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 404 Guests

Player targets

This thread currently has 57,451 views. Print
26 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
mariner83
May 3, 2018, 7:19am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
I don't think that RS was the issue for Jamey Osborne so not sure he'd have stayed even if we'd got Jolley in earlier?
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 40 - 253
Jarmo.Is.God
May 3, 2018, 8:48am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
There is a big difference between semi-professional and professional football, and Osborne couldn't hack it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 253
Grantley
May 3, 2018, 9:53am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
It’s not footballing reasons that Osborne left. I don’t agree with it but I’m not him. We move on.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 253
grimsby pete
May 3, 2018, 10:58am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
All we know is Jolley has good contacts higher up the pyramid,

If we sign them early then Michael has got has got his No.1 targets in,

The longer the summer goes on we then have to settle for his No,2 or 3 targets.

Whoever he gets I am happy he will turn out a very decent team that will challenge at the top end of the table not the bottom half.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 253
marinerrick
May 3, 2018, 11:20am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +52
Joking apart, he seems to have kept nearly the same squad for last 5 or so games. Most I believe were our players not loan.that squad hasn't done bad and to be honest looked half decent against county. This shows that the players are good but needed right management. Maybe MJ is the right manager and as we all suspect RS was an issue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 253
ginnywings
May 3, 2018, 11:26am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,108
Gold Stars: 548
I don't even think you need great contacts as such. There are hundreds of players looking for clubs in the summer. The key is to identify what type of player you want, do your research thoroughly, and get yourself a list of preferred choices, with back up's if you don't land the first choices. If you are lucky, and they all click, you will do well, but there will be a certain amount of compromise. You may not get it right straight away, some will turn out better than others, and that's where you have to exercise a bit of patience, and tweak the team as you go along, adding missing ingredients in subsequent transfer windows. I've no doubt that MJ knows exactly what he wants and will have been putting out feelers as soon as our destiny was decided. He won't get all his first choice players, but i'm certain he will have a side that will at least compete in League 2. It may take some time to develop a side capable of promotion.

John Coleman says that he studies a players character as much, if not more, than his playing ability. I think the least we will have is a dedicated, professional squad of players next season, but the state we have got ourselves into may take a couple of seasons to sort out. I'm just hoping that Jolley is here for a while, and we are not starting all over again with someone else in the near future. We've had more than enough managerial changes lately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 253
Grimsby2012
May 3, 2018, 11:35am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,466
Gold Stars: 22
I've been saying for nearly 2 years now. We need John Mills from Hereford FC.

Lived there and have many friends who are season ticket holders. All say he's league 2 material.

101 goals in 94 app..... He's strong, quick, skillful, great headers, and scores tons from outside the box.

Worth a punt in my opinion and would be cheap

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 253
TheGoalKipper
May 3, 2018, 12:50pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from ginnywings
I don't even think you need great contacts as such. There are hundreds of players looking for clubs in the summer. The key is to identify what type of player you want, do your research thoroughly, and get yourself a list of preferred choices, with back up's if you don't land the first choices. If you are lucky, and they all click, you will do well, but there will be a certain amount of compromise. You may not get it right straight away, some will turn out better than others, and that's where you have to exercise a bit of patience, and tweak the team as you go along, adding missing ingredients in subsequent transfer windows. I've no doubt that MJ knows exactly what he wants and will have been putting out feelers as soon as our destiny was decided. He won't get all his first choice players, but i'm certain he will have a side that will at least compete in League 2. It may take some time to develop a side capable of promotion.

John Coleman says that he studies a players character as much, if not more, than his playing ability. I think the least we will have is a dedicated, professional squad of players next season, but the state we have got ourselves into may take a couple of seasons to sort out. I'm just hoping that Jolley is here for a while, and we are not starting all over again with someone else in the near future. We've had more than enough managerial changes lately.

I remember him saying as much and agree with him totally. We need players who will go out and give 100% for the team. Its no good signing players of skill if you cant depend on them giving you the effort as well. If past managers at Town had done their homework a lot of the present squad would not have been signed and our present predicament would have been avoided

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 253
MeanwoodMariner
May 3, 2018, 1:13pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
I think MJ quickly develop great contacts if he hasn't already. Don't forget he went straight from a job as a city trader to coaching at a Premier League side. That's a man who can win friends and influence people!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 253
nealeardleyscrossing
May 3, 2018, 1:16pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -322
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from chelseacity
Omar Bogle ?

Apparently signing for us in the summer for 400k.
Doesn't seem to be scoring much lately though. Feels a lot of money to me.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 253
26 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Player targets

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.