Private Message
psgmariner
May 1, 2018, 12:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
Good on him. Hopefully a sign of things to come. Done everything right so far this guy.

Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
Posh Harry
May 1, 2018, 1:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Well he says ‘he gets the club’ and so far he has backed this up with everything he has done.

Well done to the fella and let’s hope it continues.

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
headingly_mariner
May 1, 2018, 1:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Great stuff. Love seeing the club involved in things like this, well done all involved.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
Cloudy
May 1, 2018, 1:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Great stuff. Love seeing the club involved in things like this, well done all involved.

Totally agree and also the fact that they are publicising it!

In the past they seemed to want to keep this sort of activity 'secret' when they should have been shouting from the rooftops. It is this sort of engagement I and many others, have been going on about for years!

Well done to all concerned
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
1mickylyons
May 1, 2018, 1:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
The Club can`t do enough of this in my opinion well done MJ and GTFC you are a vital part of the community.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
RichMariner
May 1, 2018, 1:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
This is exactly the kind of stuff that will bring the fans closer to the club.

I think we'd all agree that there's been a huge gap in recent times, but the more the manager and players engage in the community the stronger the bond will be between us.

Fans just like to see players care. It's not just about being a footballer between 3-5pm on Saturdays. It's about understanding those who pay to watch you.

I don't want to underplay what Jolley is doing, but it isn't difficult. Talking to kids isn't tough. Writing a letter back to the fan who wrote you one isn't tricky. It's human, it's nice, and it shows you care.

These little gestures get heard of, and spoken about, and they add up over time.

Jolley looks to genuinely understand what a football club is. It's beyond the boundaries of Blundell Park. He clearly cares about the players, works hard on the training pitch AND finds time to get involved in the community.

It's exactly the right thing to do to build bridges, strengthen bonds and create a more united team, town and fan base for the future. Keep it going Michael!

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
1mickylyons
May 1, 2018, 1:31pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from RichMariner
This is exactly the kind of stuff that will bring the fans closer to the club.

I think we'd all agree that there's been a huge gap in recent times, but the more the manager and players engage in the community the stronger the bond will be between us.

Fans just like to see players care. It's not just about being a footballer between 3-5pm on Saturdays. It's about understanding those who pay to watch you.

I don't want to underplay what Jolley is doing, but it isn't difficult. Talking to kids isn't tough. Writing a letter back to the fan who wrote you one isn't tricky. It's human, it's nice, and it shows you care.

These little gestures get heard of, and spoken about, and they add up over time.

Jolley looks to genuinely understand what a football club is. It's beyond the boundaries of Blundell Park. He clearly cares about the players, works hard on the training pitch AND finds time to get involved in the community.

It's exactly the right thing to do to build bridges, strengthen bonds and create a more united team, town and fan base for the future. Keep it going Michael!

Nice to see a couple of Town`s players in a local restaurant on Saturday night with their families.A bit of interaction plenty of warm smiles and banter I am sure it`s the sort of thing players and their families remember years after they retire.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
grimsby pete
May 1, 2018, 1:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Well done MJ  this kind of thing has been a long time coming and it can only help to get youngsters interested in their local team instead of Liverpool and Man Utd  ect.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
Tommy
May 1, 2018, 1:44pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
This sort of thing has been done for ages already by the Sports and Education Trust.
Dembele was in a school last week helping kids do some reading wasn't he.
McKeown, Clifton, M.Wright and Ben Davies were at the Academy Awards evening all night on Sunday.

Players make these appearances all the time, maybe not so much Managers, so it is a credit to MJ that he's taken the time to do that.

As Cloudy alludes to, maybe it's more a case of promoting it from the mainstream channels and media a bit more.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
RichMariner
May 1, 2018, 1:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Absolutely - I didn't realise how much the players had been doing this already.

Not like our club to miss a PR trick, is it?

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 10 - 13
toontown
May 1, 2018, 10:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from RichMariner
Absolutely - I didn't realise how much the players had been doing this already.

Not like our club to miss a PR trick, is it?

I know - all it takes these days is for somebody to take a quick pic on their phone and the club can broadcast it via its twitter feed, website etc etc. Really basic stuff for easy PR points.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 13
barralad
May 1, 2018, 10:37pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Cloudy

Totally agree and also the fact that they are publicising it!

In the past they seemed to want to keep this sort of activity 'secret' when they should have been shouting from the rooftops. It is this sort of engagement I and many others, have been going on about for years!

Well done to all concerned

Agree with this. When Shaun Pearson was here he spent many hours at local primary schools helping the kids to learn to read but hardly anything was said about it publicly. Lawrie Mac didn't shy away from publicity and it looks like Jolley won't either. Great stuff..

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 13
KingstonMariner
May 2, 2018, 12:07am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Great to see that they're (still) doing this. And good to get the word out more too. Footballers (and football generally) come in for a lot of stick, yet don't get the credit when it's due.

I'd imagine having someone like Michale Jolley giving a motivational speech is priceless! I wouldn't be surprised if in a good few years time he is on the circuit doing this. Hopefully after a few seasons with us he'll have quite a story to tell.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Doing exactly what we said we should do

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.