Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Important very late goals
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 284 Guests

Important very late goals

This thread currently has 2,579 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
May 1, 2018, 11:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
The winner against County obviously falls into this important late goals category.

I could think of four more: Any othersr?

The 2 impressive last minute winners in the League Cup away to Liverpool and Everton.  These 2 wins gave us glory, national publicity and some cash.

The injury time winner against FGR at Wembley. Although not technically a winning goal, it did confirm our return to the FL beyond any doubt.   It also eliminated all the tension and nerves that the fans still had for the remaining few minutes.

We can do better that last minute winners.  We had a last second winner at Wembley against Bournemouth.  Our famous golden goal, and in front of the massed Town fans.  We got a cup and trophy from this goal.  It is not nearly as important though as the late 93rd min winner v Notts County though, which confirmed our FL status.

So, the last goal we scored was the most important late goal since.....................whenever.  
Logged Online
Private Message
OllieGTFC
May 1, 2018, 1:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
If MJ  can get this side scoring late goal, I wonder what he can with his own players, exciting times ahead ( I hope ), hopefully get some investment if we are serious about championship in 5 years, late goals could just see us promoted next season maybe and that’s a big maybe

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 17
RichMariner
May 1, 2018, 1:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Talking of late goals...

I'm not sure how many fans were thinking it at the time, but Saturday's win reminded me a bit of that bonkers match we played against Woking a few years back.

Think we were losing 1-0 for a long time, equalised in the 90th, then conceded straight after, then got a 94th min pen that LJL scored to make it 2-2.

It crossed my mind as County were pushing for a second equaliser but thankfully the ref blew the final whistle!

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 2 - 17
lew chaterleys lover
May 1, 2018, 2:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,549
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from RichMariner
Talking of late goals...

I'm not sure how many fans were thinking it at the time, but Saturday's win reminded me a bit of that bonkers match we played against Woking a few years back.

Think we were losing 1-0 for a long time, equalised in the 90th, then conceded straight after, then got a 94th min pen that LJL scored to make it 2-2.

It crossed my mind as County were pushing for a second equaliser but thankfully the ref blew the final whistle!

I wonder if you are the only fan who can remember what sounds like a great game against, er...Woking!  

Only kidding, if it was a home match I would have been there, but I cannot recall it myself.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 17
grimps
May 1, 2018, 3:14pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,994
Gold Stars: 46
I cant ever remember us getting any late goals under Hurst , I think he'd usually shut up shop after 65 minutes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 17
Cloudy
May 1, 2018, 3:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from RichMariner
Talking of late goals...

An evening game IIRC?
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 17
Abdul19
May 1, 2018, 4:30pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Garry Hill had a big strop after the game   And Tounkara scored a decent goal too I think.

Disley scored a 90th minute winner at their place as well that year.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 17
carrot top
May 1, 2018, 4:30pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +811
Gold Stars: 2
One of my favourites was against Cambridge 1st April 1972. An easter game in a mud bath. Packed in the Osmond end, 90th minute. Think it was Mike Hickman. This was the day after we beat Reading 2-0 at home. Then we followed it up with an away win at Stockport the following monday. 3 games in 4 days

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 17
Rodley Mariner
May 1, 2018, 5:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from grimps
I cant ever remember us getting any late goals under Hurst , I think he'd usually shut up shop after 65 minutes

Yeah definitely no late, significant goals under Hurst.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
Les Brechin
May 1, 2018, 5:33pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
Belgium 0 England 1 World Cup 1990 (David Platt 119) before he joined Coronation Street.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Important very late goals

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.