Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Credit to the Club.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 371 Guests

Credit to the Club.

This thread currently has 5,871 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
May 1, 2018, 3:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
The board had the bollix to give Jolley a try an almighty gamble but it paid off but to be honest they were forced into it, not just by fan pressure but money.

They left it far too late to make that decision clearly for whatever reason Slade (spit) was still very reluctantly shown the door after such a monumental failure on the pitch then in the Jan transfer window, he lost the dressing room the fans had long given up on him.

Fenty staying quite is the right thing to do leave Jolley to do the P.R. he seems much, much better at it.

Stay off the fishy you just make things ten times worse YOU ARE A LOYAL FAN  we all know that and perhaps take most of the flack whilst others on the board remain anonymous.

Want so much to carry on with this good feel factor give Jolley proper contract and a bit of backing he has the fans and the team on his side he is young and ambitious lets go forwards.

If the rumours were true then at best he was 3rd choice?
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 35
lew chaterleys lover
May 1, 2018, 3:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,549
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from barralad

Not at all. I'm merely making observations based on the comments on this thread. I actually turned on the ticks/crosses and then compared to similar posts from a couple of months ago and some are a lot closer to parity now.
As someone who has a role (for now) in representing the fanbase it is vital (to me at least) that I try to analyse the feelings as presented in face to face discussions and on media such as this.

Most fans are member a hoop that we survived, so of course the social media backlash against the current regime will be more muted and be giving Jolley and his players a lot of credit, but you still don't hear many if any giving any praise to Fenty.

Once the season has ended, then I would imagine Town fans everywhere will be clamouring for boardroom changes. Ideally new owners with exciting fresh ideas and the money to back it up, but failing that some personnel changes and statements of intent surrounding the investment in the club in the future.

I don't really care who presides over the changes, but changes must be made on and off the pitch to get us running like a proper club with serious ambitions.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 35
heppy88
May 1, 2018, 3:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,069
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from diehardmariner
No way should the feeling change towards the current set-up in the corridors at Blundell Park.

Yes it's great that we've turned things around under Jolley and full credit to A) Jolley for transforming the mood B) the players for picking themselves up after how Slade clearly demoralised them and C) for the board not appointing someone from the usual cohort of junk and going something fresh.

But this has all resulted in us surviving relegation, just.  3 weeks ago we looked dead and buried.  It's not as if the club are all of a sudden acknowledging all of their previous errors, apologising for them and working to rectify them is it?  They got lucky, it's that simple.  Lucky that Mitch Rose's long throw hit the Chesterfield defender in the arm, lucky that the Swindon ref saw a trip no-one else appeared to see on Harry Cardwell, lucky that Notts County came here already on the beach and then completely switched off for Matt's injury time winner.

Nothing has changed at the top, it's still the same people that voted for the Check-a-Trade, that sold the fans down the river over bra-gate, that hosted and acted out the Matt Dean bullying job, that called the fans bullies for not going to Check-a-Trade games, that sanctioned the high earning Bignot signings and then hung him out to dry on them before ordering the next manager to do a hatchet job on the team (regardless of the risk), it's the same people that failed to capitalise on the promotion in 2016 and the same people that blamed the fans for raising £100,000+ to boost the budget.

The fact we've survived relegation is embarrassing.  It really is.  In our last 4 years at this level, 3 we've had to fight relegation.  For the sheer amount of income we generate just through gate sales, we should never be consistently in that position.  That's down to pure incompetence.

Avoiding the drop was the short-term aim, an essential target that needed meeting.  Well done Michael Jolley for achieving that.  The long-term future of the club remains in the balance as long as the current set-up are in post.  15 odd years of mis-management and disregard for the fans is not forgotten about simply because Fenty has kept quiet for a few weeks and the club have put season tickets on sale early.  

I don't have faith in the current set-up to capitalise on the positive mood after avoiding the drop, I don't trust them to properly give the manager an appropriate budget, I don't trust them to not alienate the fans anymore.  I simply don't trust them with anything.

Jolley in charge or not, this club will die a slow and painful death as long as it sits under it's current stewardship.

Thanks for taking the time to remind us why parts of the current leadership HAVE to go. I'm not surprised by a few who still support Fenty, even after being presented with all the facts. The win on Saturday and league 2 survival gets the happy juices flowing and for a few that will be enough. For a fair few others the fear of the unknown (Life without Fenty) and change in general, is too much to bare. They will have the "Better the devil you know" attitude. Others will see the potential in Jolley and will not want to upset his chances for success. They will desperately not want to rock the boat.

But the facts are the facts. If you like to admit it or not, the Fenty years have been atrocious by any fair minded, individual’s assessment. In any other business this man would not have survived. Never. He’s received chance after chance, year after year. One embarrassment after the next. Fenty must relinquish his hold over OUR club and for the sake of us all, the sooner the better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 35
Bigdog
May 1, 2018, 3:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from barralad
As a very interested observer I'm struck by the change of tone in this thread from several directions. There has been a softening of the language in some quarters. This has added fuel to the views of those who think that contained within the anti-Fenty rhetoric of a couple of months ago was a fair measure of frustration about matters on the pitch which, now things have at least temporarily been resolved happily has somewhat dissipated. There are far more questioning who is going to fill the gap if/when JF goes (and if the rumours are right he does want out). There are plenty of rumours now circulating about interested parties waiting on the wings. For all those who want him gone it is to be hoped they don't remain backstage for too long.

Living abroad and only getting to see around 30% of our games live by hook or by crook, I probably felt a little more detached than most on Saturday. I wasn't able to see the game live  but wore my finger out refreshing Twitter. Obviously over the moon when the winner went in and when the full time whistle went, but as I scoured the internet for every snippet of the game and watching the reaction of our fans, I suddenly found my joy turning into anger as the evening wore on. When you're not walking through the gates at BP I guess you get a different perspective. I looked at all of our fans celebrating staying in the Football League.. again, and my primary thought was, how has it come to this? Surely as a football club we're much better than this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising the celebrations at all, but my god, we've been living off scraps for far too long haven't we?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 35
rancido
May 1, 2018, 3:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,449
Gold Stars: 92
Quoted from arryarryarry

But rumours aren't worth the paper they are written on !!!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 35
Pouton4ever
May 1, 2018, 5:37pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: -244
Quoted from rancido

Equally there's clearly more than 3 out of work football managers in the UK and so the point earlier that they had the balls to appoint him still stands...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 35
arryarryarry
May 1, 2018, 5:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from rancido

Erm doesn't mean they weren't true.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 35
Pouton4ever
May 1, 2018, 5:44pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Erm doesn't mean they weren't true.

What's the point you're making??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 35
Rob_in_Grimsby
May 1, 2018, 5:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from arryarryarry

yesterday the rumour he was second choice by the weekend he will have been a none contender at this rate
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 35
Pouton4ever
May 1, 2018, 5:48pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

yesterday the rumour he was second choice by the weekend he will have been a none contender at this rate

Don't forget the rumour that he s doing it for free! Booo cheap option
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Credit to the Club.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.