This thread currently has 7,085 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
April 29, 2018, 9:58pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
In all the years I have been doing the Fishy (nearly 20 now) I can't remember a manager who the fans collectively were more behind. Buckley was reviled by sections of the supporters, as was Hurst and Slade in his first spell. In the years before that when it was harder to gauge opinion maybe Buckley in the early years and perhaps Laws in the first few months, but that's about it. I am not old enough to remember Lawrie Macc.

Having said that by Xmas sections of the Fishy might have turned against him!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 31
lew chaterleys lover
April 29, 2018, 10:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from GrimRob
In all the years I have been doing the Fishy (nearly 20 now) I can't remember a manager who the fans collectively were more behind. Buckley was reviled by sections of the supporters, as was Hurst and Slade in his first spell. In the years before that when it was harder to gauge opinion maybe Buckley in the early years and perhaps Laws in the first few months, but that's about it. I am not old enough to remember Lawrie Macc.

Having said that by Xmas sections of the Fishy might have turned against him!

I think we are behind them all at the start! Mike Newell is the obvious one for me - the reception he got at Scunthorpe when he was appointed,  in some minor cup game was astonishing really.

Lawrie Mac came in when we were in a shocking position - the bottom end of the 4th division the season before he came, and the club and the town were crying out for a messiah. This could have a similar feel to it - Jolley knows that the fans need to be on side, he knows we have underachieved for years and is a good bet to turn around.  
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
EY Mariner
April 29, 2018, 10:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
To put what this team has done under Jolley into context, we have accrued 14 points from nine games, just over 1.5 points per game. If that is sustained over a full season, that makes 72 points to the nearest whole number and puts you right in contention for the playoffs in most years. I don't want to get too excited about next season, as we've fallen flat on our faces too many times for that, but it's hard not to when you look at it like that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 31
Grantley
April 30, 2018, 12:46am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
It’s actually 12 from 9.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
RonMariner
April 30, 2018, 12:50am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,010
Gold Stars: 216
And anyway, 1.5 points per game over 46 games is 69 points surely?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 31
ginnywings
April 30, 2018, 1:20am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Well i doubt he could do any worse than the last manager, so the only way is up, even if that means comfortable mid table and some notable wins along the way. I have a sneaky feeling though, that this guy is extremely ambitious and driven and knows how to handle players mentality. There isn't much in this league between the teams. The ones who apply themselves correctly and with purpose rise to the top. Accrington aside, who have been the best side in the league all season, the rest haven't impressed me much at all. None of them looked as good as Donny or Portsmouth did last season. Even Luton, who scored a ton of goals didn't look that threatening when they won here. If we had this exact same squad next season, i bet Jolley would get them up nearer the top end.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
RonMariner
April 30, 2018, 3:18pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,010
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from ginnywings
Well i doubt he could do any worse than the last manager, so the only way is up, even if that means comfortable mid table and some notable wins along the way. I have a sneaky feeling though, that this guy is extremely ambitious and driven and knows how to handle players mentality. There isn't much in this league between the teams. The ones who apply themselves correctly and with purpose rise to the top. Accrington aside, who have been the best side in the league all season, the rest haven't impressed me much at all. None of them looked as good as Donny or Portsmouth did last season. Even Luton, who scored a ton of goals didn't look that threatening when they won here. If we had this exact same squad next season, i bet Jolley would get them up nearer the top end.

Got to say that we did look very good on Saturday. Better than a side going for automatic promotion.

So, two months ago I couldn't wait for a mass summer clear out of players, I now wouldn't mind several of them staying,

I do think we need a decent striker and a midfield general though, and some of our aging defenders will need replacing. But I think it will be easier to bring in a few new faces to build on what we have rather than undertake a full scale replacement of the entire playing staff.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
Ipswin
April 30, 2018, 4:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89

I was thinking the same thing today Pete. I would love to know if MJ has won you over now Swin or are you still not convinced?

I am still far from convinced in fact the ridiculous surge of hero worship currently directed at him simply for avoiding relegation (which Slade might have achieved anyway - we will never know) does nothing to persuade me and how the players had the bare faced cheek  after the crap they dished up during the season to go on a lap of honour carrying their kids like they had actually won summat I'll never know

However we did avoid relegation under Jolley and as promised I have feasted on humble pie as promised since Saturday, He was the man to take us to safety and I was wrong but it will take more than scraping a few points together courtesy mainly of three penalties at the bottom-end of the season for me to elevate him to Godlike status and start licking his bottom like many on here

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 31
MuddyWaters
April 30, 2018, 4:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Ipswin

I am still far from convinced in fact the ridiculous surge of hero worship currently directed at him simply for avoiding relegation (which Slade might have achieved anyway - we will never know) does nothing to persuade me and how the players had the bare faced cheek  after the crap they dished up during the season to go on a lap of honour carrying their kids like they had actually won summat I'll never know

However we did avoid relegation under Jolley and as promised I have feasted on humble pie as promised since Saturday, He was the man to take us to safety and I was wrong but it will take more than scraping a few points together courtesy mainly of three penalties at the bottom-end of the season for me to elevate him to Godlike status and start licking his bottom like many on here

Nice one Swin - that didn't hurt but I think that Humble Pie is giving you a bit of indigestion  
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 31
lew chaterleys lover
April 30, 2018, 4:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Ipswin

To be honest I wasn't sure we had made the right decision in appointing a certain Mr. Jolley. I thought the situation might need a Martin Allen type to galvanise our under achieving players by giving them a rocket up the a***e.

However, now that we are safe, it is undeniable that he has the wow factor which will be great for next season and beyond.

As long as the club support him properly the future on the field should be much brighter.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dear michael

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.