ginnywings
April 29, 2018, 12:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from kamakazebear
Want to believe and I'm starting to believe but I'm just going to be quietly optimistic. I remember being in this exact same position what, 8 years ago and thinking Newell would get us promoted after keeping us up and look how that ended.

Do think Jolley could be the best managerial choice yet and looking at Swindon, a much better choice than Phil Brown. He just seems to show the professionalism, class and knowledge that we've lacked, even during the Hurst years (I know some idiot put up the Hurst out banners after Braintree but who the intercourse taunts the fans after a Wembley final win!). And that's coming from a Hurst fan so hopefully, onwards and upwards!

Newell didn't keep us up. He came in October when we were second from bottom and moved us up a whole one place to third bottom, and only then because Luton had a massive 30 point deduction. Other sides with points deductions easily finished higher than we did. Newell had time and money to bring in his own players and actually made the team worse in my opinion. He was a disaster.

As for Jolley, some managers just get that rapport with the fans and some don't. Hurst would never get it whatever he did, and Slade wouldn't either, even if he had been better at his job. What Jolley has done is remarkable, on and off the pitch. I couldn't believe yesterday how much we looked like a proper cohesive football team, all playing for each other. To win back to back games in the manner we have done against 2 sides pushing for promotion is incredible, considering how poor we were when he arrived. He has the X factor.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 33
KingstonMariner
April 29, 2018, 3:00pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

We have to be pragmatic about these things.

A lot, probably the majority want a new start, a new era and a new man at the top so it cannot be ignored.

I am sure none of us have got anything against John Fenty personally, I guess only a handful of us know him, but we are demanding change and change we should get. We (the fans) are the lifeblood of the club, Fenty is merely the present owner.

We have been patient, extraordinarily patient, and we now have a golden chance to move into a new more successful era.

The pragmatism comes in the form of what Fenty does about it. I don't suppose any of us are too worried about who owns the club,  including Fenty if it meant a root and branch  overall of how the club operates; its relationship with the fans, improvements to the stadium, success on the field so if Fenty feels he can provide those things then he should address the fans and tell us so. Personally I think a fresh start with new owners would be the best option, because I don't think (judging on the 15 years so far) that he has it in him.

I don't think your post goes anywhere near enough to put right the wrongs of the last 15 years.Michael Jolley cannot do it all on his own (although jokingly I wonder if he might become the first chairman/manager/PR manager in the league!) but for him to succeed we need new investment, improvements on and off the pitch and finally a real attempt to bring GTFC kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Who does it I don't really care, but we cannot sit back and hope Jolley can produce miracles - the club needs to get right behind him with everything he needs, increased playing budgets, improvements to BP, better PR, better facilities for players. If Fenty and his team can do it then great. If they can't or wont it is not an option for him to sit back and hope things improve as the fans demand more, much more.

If you are right and there is no one, anywhere ever that will come forward with a fresh prospectus for GTFC and the finance to go with it, then why shouldn't the current board grasp the nettle, get some paid professionals in to run the club and together Jolley and the fans make us a force to be reckoned with? What has he got to lose? Good people repay their salaries many times over and if their brief is to get more bums on seats and secure extra investment from wherever it may be it would be money well spent.

A lot of season ticket holders like myself will be keeping their hands firmly in their pockets until we see quality players signing and not last minute signings to save a few weeks wages,  and a willingness to start to tackle the long standing problems and visible proof that they are doing something about them.

Funnily enough Lew, I said a similar thing a few weeks ago about Jolley becoming Executive Chairman. I genuinely think he's got the skills to be an excellent board member.

I agree with you in that I think we do need to continue to push for change. The temptation is always not to rock the boat. 'Keep united whilst we're in the midst of a relegation battle'. 'Don't push for change now, we're in the middle of a promotion campaign'. 'Don't rock the boat now, everyone is happy after survival'. I honestly don't think John Fenty will change enough to avoid making the same mistakes. If there's no buy out then I'd like to see someone else come in as chairman and for John to step back to being an ordinary fan. I'd really like to see him just being able to enjoy the football. As BP Vicar says, he's done his bit and can depart with our appreciation. This is our best chance of genuine unity. Unity that will help MJ take the club forward.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 33
Cloudy
April 29, 2018, 8:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Funnily enough Lew, I said a similar thing a few weeks ago about Jolley becoming Executive Chairman. I genuinely think he's got the skills to be an excellent board member.

I agree with you in that I think we do need to continue to push for change. The temptation is always not to rock the boat. 'Keep united whilst we're in the midst of a relegation battle'. 'Don't push for change now, we're in the middle of a promotion campaign'. 'Don't rock the boat now, everyone is happy after survival'. I honestly don't think John Fenty will change enough to avoid making the same mistakes. If there's no buy out then I'd like to see someone else come in as chairman and for John to step back to being an ordinary fan. I'd really like to see him just being able to enjoy the football. As BP Vicar says, he's done his bit and can depart with our appreciation. This is our best chance of genuine unity. Unity that will help MJ take the club forward.

Not so sure about the first paragraph but totally agree with the second.

The strain is clearly getting to John Fenty, he has aged substantially in a few months and actually looks ill. This isn't  having a go, just an observation.
Now is the time for him to step down, take a role as President or something but not be on the board, take a hospitality box for friends and family to watch the games in peace. Let the club move in a new direction, with fan involvement at its core and, as Michael Jolley said yesterday become a true community club, a club that is part of, and answerable to, the community it represents.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 33
Gibson617
April 29, 2018, 10:03pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +19
M.Jolley
Very impressed with his interview.  No bullshit . Clear and precise with his intentions and dealing with the players
Couldnt believe the difference with the team from a fortnight ago.  Can't wait for the season to begin.
May be he will have more than a manager's influence to add to the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A Jolley new dawn begins

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.