This thread currently has 6,608 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
kamakazebear
April 29, 2018, 7:39am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +468
Want to believe and I'm starting to believe but I'm just going to be quietly optimistic. I remember being in this exact same position what, 8 years ago and thinking Newell would get us promoted after keeping us up and look how that ended.

Do think Jolley could be the best managerial choice yet and looking at Swindon, a much better choice than Phil Brown. He just seems to show the professionalism, class and knowledge that we've lacked, even during the Hurst years (I know some idiot put up the Hurst out banners after Braintree but who the intercourse taunts the fans after a Wembley final win!). And that's coming from a Hurst fan so hopefully, onwards and upwards!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
jimgtfc
April 29, 2018, 8:07am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 44
I just hope that the fans don’t put too much expectation on his shoulders, I’m already hearing of play offs and promotion being mentioned for next season and whilst I’m all for being ambitious, I just hope those same fans don’t get on his back if things don’t start as well as they expect.

He’s got a proper rebuild job on his hands this summer, he’s already mentioned that he needs to assess the season as a whole and not just the last month or so, which suggests to me that there’s going to be a high player turnover during the next few months. We could see a completely new lineup in August.

Whatever happens this summer, I’d like to see Jolley given time by the fans as well as the board. If we end up mid table this time next year then we should take it as progress and go again the following season. Let’s have a 2 or 3 year plan of promotion rather than expecting to soon.

Trust him, support him, show patience and maybe things may come good!

UTM

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
Bigdog
April 29, 2018, 8:50am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from jimgtfc
I just hope that the fans don’t put too much expectation on his shoulders, I’m already hearing of play offs and promotion being mentioned for next season and whilst I’m all for being ambitious, I just hope those same fans don’t get on his back if things don’t start as well as they expect.

He’s got a proper rebuild job on his hands this summer, he’s already mentioned that he needs to assess the season as a whole and not just the last month or so, which suggests to me that there’s going to be a high player turnover during the next few months. We could see a completely new lineup in August.

Whatever happens this summer, I’d like to see Jolley given time by the fans as well as the board. If we end up mid table this time next year then we should take it as progress and go again the following season. Let’s have a 2 or 3 year plan of promotion rather than expecting to soon.

Trust him, support him, show patience and maybe things may come good!

UTM

Of course Jolley should have the fans' support, but we are talking about Division Four here. If spent and managed wisely, the club has a big enough income to warrant a push for at least the play offs. The top seven are involved in promotion to League One, that's a third of the whole division. And as for a large squad turnover in the summer, League Two is a division full of clubs running on one year contracts for players, nearly all of them will have a high turnover during the transfer window. The last thing GTFC needs at the minute is a trail of excuses as to why we can't compete at the right end of the bottom division in the Football League and fans accepting a mid-table finish is progress. Anyone seroiusly think the sides that are in the play offs this season are that good anyway?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
RonMariner
April 29, 2018, 9:07am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,659
Gold Stars: 226
Watching that again has brought tears to my eyes! What a class act he is.

The scenes where he was mobbed after the final whistle were extraordinary. Never seen anything like it. There is more love and respect for this man than Hurst got in five years. Because he gets it. He understands what this club means to the fans.

The future is bright. Get him signed up on a long contract now!

Shall we start another operation promotion to give him extra funding?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
Mrs Doyle
April 29, 2018, 9:40am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
That last six form guide looks very impressive.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/592039104265067/?fref=nf
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
A Brace Of Tees
April 29, 2018, 9:42am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 3
If presenting us with Michael Jolley turns out to be Fenty's last act for this club, then he can leave on a high.

Whether it was a masterstroke or just good fortune doesn't really matter - at least he didn't pander to those clamouring for an 'experienced' manager...such as Phil Brown for example, who has presided over Swindon being 20th in the current form table, whereas Jolley's Grimsby are 4th.

I think that says it all and finally puts that silly argument to bed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
carrot top
April 29, 2018, 10:04am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from A Brace Of Tees
If presenting us with Michael Jolley turns out to be Fenty's last act for this club, then he can leave on a high.

Whether it was a masterstroke or just good fortune doesn't really matter - at least he didn't pander to those clamouring for an 'experienced' manager...such as Phil Brown for example, who has presided over Swindon being 20th in the current form table, whereas Jolley's Grimsby are 4th.

I think that says it all and finally puts that silly argument to bed.

Wasn't Brown offered the job though?

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
A Brace Of Tees
April 29, 2018, 10:49am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from carrot top

Wasn't Brown offered the job though?

Based on what evidence?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
Cloudy
April 29, 2018, 11:02am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from fiveallive
I don't think we have to keep banging this Fenty out drum, for one THERE IS NOBODY WHO'S COMING IN TO TAKE HIS PLACE TO THEN WHERE STUCK WITH FENTY.

I understand fan frustration especially with the PR in the club has been toxic this season, but Fenty his keeping his head down for the moment.

Lets just take stock on the fact where safe and playing League 2 next season.

Move on and upwards with Jolley and hopfully we can get some signings in early, Slade left it way to late last summer.

John wants out and there are people with sufficient clout formulating an approach.
It will be interesting to see wether John is serious about stepping down?
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
lew chaterleys lover
April 29, 2018, 11:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from fiveallive
I don't think we have to keep banging this Fenty out drum, for one THERE IS NOBODY WHO'S COMING IN TO TAKE HIS PLACE TO THEN WHERE STUCK WITH FENTY.

I understand fan frustration especially with the PR in the club has been toxic this season, but Fenty his keeping his head down for the moment.

Lets just take stock on the fact where safe and playing League 2 next season.

Move on and upwards with Jolley and hopfully we can get some signings in early, Slade left it way to late last summer.

We have to be pragmatic about these things.

A lot, probably the majority want a new start, a new era and a new man at the top so it cannot be ignored.

I am sure none of us have got anything against John Fenty personally, I guess only a handful of us know him, but we are demanding change and change we should get. We (the fans) are the lifeblood of the club, Fenty is merely the present owner.

We have been patient, extraordinarily patient, and we now have a golden chance to move into a new more successful era.

The pragmatism comes in the form of what Fenty does about it. I don't suppose any of us are too worried about who owns the club,  including Fenty if it meant a root and branch  overall of how the club operates; its relationship with the fans, improvements to the stadium, success on the field so if Fenty feels he can provide those things then he should address the fans and tell us so. Personally I think a fresh start with new owners would be the best option, because I don't think (judging on the 15 years so far) that he has it in him.

I don't think your post goes anywhere near enough to put right the wrongs of the last 15 years.Michael Jolley cannot do it all on his own (although jokingly I wonder if he might become the first chairman/manager/PR manager in the league!) but for him to succeed we need new investment, improvements on and off the pitch and finally a real attempt to bring GTFC kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Who does it I don't really care, but we cannot sit back and hope Jolley can produce miracles - the club needs to get right behind him with everything he needs, increased playing budgets, improvements to BP, better PR, better facilities for players. If Fenty and his team can do it then great. If they can't or wont it is not an option for him to sit back and hope things improve as the fans demand more, much more.

If you are right and there is no one, anywhere ever that will come forward with a fresh prospectus for GTFC and the finance to go with it, then why shouldn't the current board grasp the nettle, get some paid professionals in to run the club and together Jolley and the fans make us a force to be reckoned with? What has he got to lose? Good people repay their salaries many times over and if their brief is to get more bums on seats and secure extra investment from wherever it may be it would be money well spent.

A lot of season ticket holders like myself will be keeping their hands firmly in their pockets until we see quality players signing and not last minute signings to save a few weeks wages,  and a willingness to start to tackle the long standing problems and visible proof that they are doing something about them.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A Jolley new dawn begins

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.