Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Not fit for modern day football...
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 305 Guests

Not fit for modern day football...

This thread currently has 6,944 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
April 24, 2018, 8:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from arryarryarry
Wasn't the pitch relaid just a few seasons ago, I remember pictures of tractors going up and down laying sand before the new turf.

Think we had drainage put in didn't we?

I love the history and memories attached to BP. I could see the floodlights from my garden growing up and have spent many a fantastic Saturday and Tuesday/Wednesday night there, but we need a new ground. The club is trapped in a time warp and needs to move on to pastures new. The whole club requires a massive shake up, on and off the pitch, and a new ground is a must. I'd be sad to say goodbye to the old stadium, but would welcome it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 42
lew chaterleys lover
April 24, 2018, 9:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,546
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from ginnywings

Think we had drainage put in didn't we?

I love the history and memories attached to BP. I could see the floodlights from my garden growing up and have spent many a fantastic Saturday and Tuesday/Wednesday night there, but we need a new ground. The club is trapped in a time warp and needs to move on to pastures new. The whole club requires a massive shake up, on and off the pitch, and a new ground is a must. I'd be sad to say goodbye to the old stadium, but would welcome it.

How big were the floodlights to start with? Was it cost cutting again by starting them off at about 12 feet?
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 42
Bigdog
April 24, 2018, 9:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Rick12
Great read

Grimsby Town proper traditional football club .

I think using this sentence as a badge of honour is like using a sticking plaster over a great big gaping wound. After 140 years of ups and downs and the past 15 years of abject failure doing things the way we've always done it, it's time to move on..

We'll never forget the heroes of the past, but I'd give my right arm for a mini version of the Amex Stadium and to be a progressive club like Brighton. Bet their fans don't miss the Goldstone Ground or being a proper traditional football club..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 42
Rick12
April 24, 2018, 10:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Bigdog

I think using this sentence as a badge of honour is like using a sticking plaster over a great big gaping wound. After 140 years of ups and downs and the past 15 years of abject failure doing things the way we've always done it, it's time to move on..

We'll never forget the heroes of the past, but I'd give my right arm for a mini version of the Amex Stadium and to be a progressive club like Brighton. Bet their fans don't miss the Goldstone Ground or being a proper traditional football club..
Fair points but history make a club as well.Just look at Liverpool and the fans they have.Remember reading thats why Fernando Torres done so well there.He lived and thrived of that passion.When he went to Chelsea the ethos of the club was different and he struggled.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 42
ginnywings
April 24, 2018, 10:27pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538

How big were the floodlights to start with? Was it cost cutting again by starting them off at about 12 feet?

They looked massive to me as a kid.  

I agree with Bigdog. No reason why we can't emulate someone like Rotherham and their new ground. They have prospered since they got it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 42
mariner91
April 24, 2018, 11:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from Rick12
Fair points but history make a club as well.Just look at Liverpool and the fans they have.Remember reading thats why Fernando Torres done so well there.He lived and thrived of that passion.When he went to Chelsea the ethos of the club was different and he struggled.

I think it was more to do with his injuries and the fact he'd lost the lightning acceleration which made him so dangerous for Liverpool.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 42
rancido
April 25, 2018, 10:23am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 91
I'm sorry but to me any remedial work at BP is just throwing good money after bad. As much as I've loved going to BP since the mid sixties and seen some great games with amazing experiences , the ground belongs to a bygone age. In the same way that football has changed so much over the years, so has the expectations of the grounds and facilities. We need a new ground with alternative income streams and that is the only way forward.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 42
lew chaterleys lover
April 25, 2018, 12:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,546
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from rancido
I'm sorry but to me any remedial work at BP is just throwing good money after bad. As much as I've loved going to BP since the mid sixties and seen some great games with amazing experiences , the ground belongs to a bygone age. In the same way that football has changed so much over the years, so has the expectations of the grounds and facilities. We need a new ground with alternative income streams and that is the only way forward.

Not if we won't get another ground for 20 years it isn't.

You cannot let it rot, just in case we get a new stadium at some point in the future. Between now and then we have current supporters to consider, and if we do better on the field, a whole new set of supporters and you simply cannot stand by and expect people to accept no effort to improve their match day experience.

A schedule of planned improvements should have been put in place, and still can if the new stadium is not in sight.

I hope once the season ends the club will update us on the stadium proposals and then we can decide what we want to do.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 42
TheGoalKipper
April 25, 2018, 3:07pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321

Not if we won't get another ground for 20 years it isn't.

You cannot let it rot, just in case we get a new stadium at some point in the future. Between now and then we have current supporters to consider, and if we do better on the field, a whole new set of supporters and you simply cannot stand by and expect people to accept no effort to improve their match day experience.

A schedule of planned improvements should have been put in place, and still can if the new stadium is not in sight.

I hope once the season ends the club will update us on the stadium proposals and then we can decide what we want to do.

When we came up we were getting positive noises about a new ground. The Council seemed to take a more positive stance now we were back in the league and i think this put pressure on them as the clubs profile was now higher.There was no reason to think we couldnt climb up to L1 in the near future and they didnt want to be seen as holding us back. The impact of giving the managers job to Slade has completely blown all that away and we have gone into reverse. That is why we MUST NOT GET RELAGATED.

If we dont, we can still turn this around next season. We have the 9th highest average attendance in L2 so should be able to afford a competitive team provided we our recruitment is up to scratch. A winning team will bring in greater revenue and we can use it to improve the team further. I believe we will be promoted to L1 in 2 seasons if Jolley recruits wisely and this will give us the momentum the clube needs. Im sure nobody belies we will have it built if we are in the National league.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 42
grimsby pete
April 25, 2018, 4:31pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221

Our old floodlights that were not very high were fitted onto the concrete bases,

So I suppose they just fitted the new ones in the same place saving on putting new foundations in.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Not fit for modern day football...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.