Grantley
April 22, 2018, 6:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
A couple of things I noticed yesterday and after watching the highlights:

1. When Rose went over to the Swindon fans after the penalty, Harry went over to pull him away and looks visibly annoyed.
2. Once the full time whistle went, he was the first over to the fans and you could tell how much it meant to him.

While I’m yet to be fully convinced by his footballing ability yet, this lad got an amazing mentality and is so mature for someone so young. Hopefully he is kept on and receives some better coaching than he’s recieved over the last 18 months. Keep working hard, Harry!

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
forza ivano
April 22, 2018, 6:26pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
He did alright yesterday. He's one of our few midfielders who is prepared to drive forward with the ball and he's good at closing things down.jolle y coached him through the entire first half yesterday.he certainly offers an awful lot more than me berrett
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 26
Skrill
April 22, 2018, 6:27pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
Harry Clifton and Harry Cardwell both have potential, under some good coaching they could both become a mainstay.

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 26
Cloudy
April 22, 2018, 6:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Skrill
Harry Clifton and Harry Cardwell both have potential, under some good coaching they could both become a mainstay.

Cardwell worked very hard yesterday and battled away. I am not convinced he is a natural striker, lacks a strikers instinct imo and I am not sure it is something you can coach
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
sonofmadeleymariner
April 22, 2018, 6:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Cloudy

Cardwell worked very hard yesterday and battled away. I am not convinced he is a natural striker, lacks a strikers instinct imo and I am not sure it is something you can coach

Probably bereft of any confidence like most of our striker.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 26
dapperz fun pub
April 22, 2018, 8:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from forza ivano
He did alright yesterday. He's one of our few midfielders who is prepared to drive forward with the ball and he's good at closing things down.jolle y coached him through the entire first half yesterday.he certainly offers an awful lot more than me berrett

He offers a massive workrate but when he eventually slots into his preferred position coupled with this experience he’s gaining I think the doubters will be convinced
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
MarinerRob
April 22, 2018, 9:19pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
I have noticed many times when he lays a ball off to another player he is indicating where to play it back to. Also, the way he won a corner yesterday was very clever - something I would expect a very experienced player could do. He does seem to have the passion and I can see him being a large part of the Town team for many years to come. Reminds me a lot of Dave Boylen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 26
quebec38
April 22, 2018, 9:59pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,576
Gold Stars: 48
Clifton looks a steady player to me and is more suited to our side as things stand than Dembele imo. I’m sure as he gains experience and strength he will move in to the centre as I’m not sure he has the delivery or trickery to make a decent career as a wide player but my knowledge of him is limited.

As for Cardwell, he runs his nuts off which is admirable and a lot of our mini run is down to him. He’s truly played his part. He has an awkward running style though and I’m not sure he’s the man to bring us the goals we’re gonna need in the future but that’s very harsh as at present we’re not a side that really threatens with the ball in the final third.

I don’t know either players status contract-wise but I would definitely want them both on board next season. For me they both deserve it.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
HertsGTFC
April 22, 2018, 10:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
Both Harry's should be re-signed for next season, I reckon they have good potential

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 26
Cloudy
April 22, 2018, 10:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Both Harry's should be re-signed for next season, I reckon they have good potential

Isn't Cardwell under contract for next season?
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 26
toontown
April 22, 2018, 10:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Clifton is quite impressive for his age, an absolute no brainer to re-sign him. Has energy and can drive forward with the ball and has the ability to go past people (as seen last week) with the ball, something few central midfields hav at this level. Offers far far more than Berrett, slade is an utterly clueless buffoon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
ginnywings
April 22, 2018, 10:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Cloudy

Isn't Cardwell under contract for next season?

Yes, got a 2 year deal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
forza ivano
April 22, 2018, 10:49pm

Exile
Card well put a real shift in yesterday showed quite a good touch and I can see exactly why jolle y picked him for this away game but I stil! Stand by my view that he looks like the typically lower level conference striker,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
Grantley
April 23, 2018, 12:21am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Anyone think that Cardwell has lost half a yard of pace because he’s bulked up since the summer? Seemed much faster when we first signed him.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
Croxton
April 23, 2018, 8:51am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 33
Certainly the lack of minutes, postponed reserve games and bench warming are also a factor. Worth noting that Harry played well in a September reserve game v Notts. County in September as lone front man against very experienced defenders. Clifton worked his socks off at full back and Hall Johnson was a pacey centre half. Only lost to the softest of penalty decisions.
Slade sat back in the sunshine chatting to some bloke/scout in the stand while Woods and other staff whispered from the sides.  Nolan, by contrast, bellowed encouragement, praise and dire warnings to his squad. Our lads walked off in silence heads down. If Wilko was there, I must have missed him. Difficult to see how any of the squad that day would feel valued for their efforts but we are now depending on some for our survival.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
Garth
April 23, 2018, 9:33am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Another day, another season, another manager other than Slade and probably more of our players would be performing and improving as they are now who knows,  before Christmas we were well in the top half
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
Cloudy
April 23, 2018, 10:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Garth
Another day, another season, another manager other than Slade and probably more of our players would be performing and improving as they are now who knows,  before Christmas we were well in the top half

I think more of the players are looking like they want a contract next season.

Whether this is a slight on Slade or on the players who didnt produce earlier I cannot be certain.

If some of the players are actually buying into Jolleys methods then they may be able to improve longer term OR as I originally thought you bin all we can and start again???
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
Flying Mariner
April 23, 2018, 10:41am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +55
Gold Stars: 1
Clifton is a smashing lad.
He played in midfield with my son for the District under the guidance of Mike Brolly and in the Scunny league at U14, U15 and U16 level. They had a great understanding of each others game just like Cunnington and Cockerill.
A great central midfield player Harry could create lots of goals for a striker with the same mindset.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
forza ivano
April 23, 2018, 11:14am

Exile
Quoted from Cloudy

I think more of the players are looking like they want a contract next season.

Whether this is a slight on Slade or on the players who didnt produce earlier I cannot be certain.

If some of the players are actually buying into Jolleys methods then they may be able to improve longer term OR as I originally thought you bin all we can and start again???

i think we will be looking at a lot of fresh faces. i've now seen 4 of the games under jolley and i still haven't seen much sign of ability, just a lot better organisation, hard work and attitude. none of the forwards look like scoring, none of the midfielders are very creative and the defenders are generally old timers. i think rose has improved greatly, clifton is the best of the rest.summerfield and mckeown have maintained their previous levels. davies and collins have been great but whether they would last another season has to be debateable. i remain to be convinced by cardwell but he could be put into the category of fox, mills and rhj who are definitely 'works in progress'. i think we may well see vernham come back which would be a big plus. the rest i wouldn't be unhappy to see leave en masse
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 23, 2018, 1:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
It is disappointing that Clifton has had to wait until he is 19 for a bit of a run in the first team. I am pleased for the lad. He will have ups and downs but he could have been having those last year when it didn't matter so much. The lad has energy and a bit of a football brain and he should have been out there a lot sooner. Admittedly it is always a risk to play kids. Hurst would never do it unless he had a squad full of broken legs and while Slade seemed interested in the youth set up he was still reluctant to try the likes of Clifton even when the winless run was getting ridiculous.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
Abdul19
April 23, 2018, 1:38pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
But last year he was out on loan, which probably benefited him more than the odd 5 minute appearance at the end of a game?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 26
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 23, 2018, 4:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19
But last year he was out on loan, which probably benefited him more than the odd 5 minute appearance at the end of a game?

I know he was.

But he could have been recalled from loan and he could have had a lot more than 5 minutes. That’s the point I’m making. He has spent too long sitting on the bench or out on loan because managers are reluctant to see what young lads can do in a first team run. He may turn out to be no good or he may be brilliant but we ought to have found out several months ago at least.

This is especially true given the state of our midfield for most of this season, he could not have done much worse could he?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
Abdul19
April 23, 2018, 4:24pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
He could only have been recalled in the transfer window though, and Bignot signed Clements and Osborne in that time (and pointlessly, that bloke from Birmingham who played about 13 seconds), so I doubt he would've played much. And we still had a sniff of the playoffs until quite late in the season, so there weren't that many games that "didn't matter so much".

Obviously this season is a different story, I agree. How Berrett has racked up 29 league starts this season I doubt even god knows.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 26
ginnywings
April 23, 2018, 4:34pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Perhaps Clifton wasn't ready last season? He's making progress in the first team now and is only 19, so i don't see what the issue is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 23, 2018, 6:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Perhaps Clifton wasn't ready last season? He's making progress in the first team now and is only 19, so i don't see what the issue is.

You have just stated the issue in a nutshell.

Who says he wasn’t ready? A manager who was not prepared to give him a chance. He is making progress now when we are fighting for our league lives at the end of the season? Why wasn’t he here making progress before and just possibly we might be in a better position?  I doubt if Harry C would have saved us single handed but it gets me annoyed when managers would rather pay good money to sign dross or journeymen and send kids out on loan to “toughen up”.

Private Message
Reply: 24 - 26
ginnywings
April 23, 2018, 6:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic

You have just stated the issue in a nutshell.

Who says he wasn’t ready? A manager who was not prepared to give him a chance. He is making progress now when we are fighting for our league lives at the end of the season? Why wasn’t he here making progress before and just possibly we might be in a better position?  I doubt if Harry C would have saved us single handed but it gets me annoyed when managers would rather pay good money to sign dross or journeymen and send kids out on loan to “toughen up”.

No one as far as i know, which i why i said "perhaps he wasn't ready". I'm sure the people who get paid to make these decisions are in a better position to judge than we are.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
arryarryarry
April 23, 2018, 9:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from ginnywings

No one as far as i know, which i why i said "perhaps he wasn't ready". I'm sure the people who get paid to make these decisions are in a better position to judge than we are.

Even Russell Slade?
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Clifton

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.