3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
toontown
April 22, 2018, 10:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,246
Gold Stars: 70
Clifton is quite impressive for his age, an absolute no brainer to re-sign him. Has energy and can drive forward with the ball and has the ability to go past people (as seen last week) with the ball, something few central midfields hav at this level. Offers far far more than Berrett, slade is an utterly clueless buffoon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
ginnywings
April 22, 2018, 10:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,089
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Cloudy

Isn't Cardwell under contract for next season?

Yes, got a 2 year deal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
forza ivano
April 22, 2018, 10:49pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,126
Gold Stars: 265
Card well put a real shift in yesterday showed quite a good touch and I can see exactly why jolle y picked him for this away game but I stil! Stand by my view that he looks like the typically lower level conference striker,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
Grantley
April 23, 2018, 12:21am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Anyone think that Cardwell has lost half a yard of pace because he’s bulked up since the summer? Seemed much faster when we first signed him.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
Croxton
April 23, 2018, 8:51am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,010
Gold Stars: 33
Certainly the lack of minutes, postponed reserve games and bench warming are also a factor. Worth noting that Harry played well in a September reserve game v Notts. County in September as lone front man against very experienced defenders. Clifton worked his socks off at full back and Hall Johnson was a pacey centre half. Only lost to the softest of penalty decisions.
Slade sat back in the sunshine chatting to some bloke/scout in the stand while Woods and other staff whispered from the sides.  Nolan, by contrast, bellowed encouragement, praise and dire warnings to his squad. Our lads walked off in silence heads down. If Wilko was there, I must have missed him. Difficult to see how any of the squad that day would feel valued for their efforts but we are now depending on some for our survival.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
Garth
April 23, 2018, 9:33am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Another day, another season, another manager other than Slade and probably more of our players would be performing and improving as they are now who knows,  before Christmas we were well in the top half
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
Cloudy
April 23, 2018, 10:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Garth
Another day, another season, another manager other than Slade and probably more of our players would be performing and improving as they are now who knows,  before Christmas we were well in the top half

I think more of the players are looking like they want a contract next season.

Whether this is a slight on Slade or on the players who didnt produce earlier I cannot be certain.

If some of the players are actually buying into Jolleys methods then they may be able to improve longer term OR as I originally thought you bin all we can and start again???
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
Flying Mariner
April 23, 2018, 10:41am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +55
Gold Stars: 1
Clifton is a smashing lad.
He played in midfield with my son for the District under the guidance of Mike Brolly and in the Scunny league at U14, U15 and U16 level. They had a great understanding of each others game just like Cunnington and Cockerill.
A great central midfield player Harry could create lots of goals for a striker with the same mindset.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
forza ivano
April 23, 2018, 11:14am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,126
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Cloudy

I think more of the players are looking like they want a contract next season.

Whether this is a slight on Slade or on the players who didnt produce earlier I cannot be certain.

If some of the players are actually buying into Jolleys methods then they may be able to improve longer term OR as I originally thought you bin all we can and start again???

i think we will be looking at a lot of fresh faces. i've now seen 4 of the games under jolley and i still haven't seen much sign of ability, just a lot better organisation, hard work and attitude. none of the forwards look like scoring, none of the midfielders are very creative and the defenders are generally old timers. i think rose has improved greatly, clifton is the best of the rest.summerfield and mckeown have maintained their previous levels. davies and collins have been great but whether they would last another season has to be debateable. i remain to be convinced by cardwell but he could be put into the category of fox, mills and rhj who are definitely 'works in progress'. i think we may well see vernham come back which would be a big plus. the rest i wouldn't be unhappy to see leave en masse
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 23, 2018, 1:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
It is disappointing that Clifton has had to wait until he is 19 for a bit of a run in the first team. I am pleased for the lad. He will have ups and downs but he could have been having those last year when it didn't matter so much. The lad has energy and a bit of a football brain and he should have been out there a lot sooner. Admittedly it is always a risk to play kids. Hurst would never do it unless he had a squad full of broken legs and while Slade seemed interested in the youth set up he was still reluctant to try the likes of Clifton even when the winless run was getting ridiculous.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Clifton

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.