Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Michael Jolley Appreciation Thread!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 243 Guests

Michael Jolley Appreciation Thread!

This thread currently has 9,353 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Grim74
April 22, 2018, 2:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Have to say that was a massive win there yesterday especially with Barnet winning, not many people including myself would have expected much at Swindon in what must of been a right coupon buster, but this man oozes positivity and it shows right through the team. A month or so ago I said the team is looking like they are really just not bothered as they know most won't be here next season, but now although far from world beaters they at least seem to have found some pride and passion and that's got to be down to Micheal Jolley.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 49
TheGoalKipper
April 22, 2018, 2:53pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
I think Jolleys recruitment strategy will be a squad full of youth and pace. As others have said his knowledge of the under-23rd scene over the past few years will be excellent, some of those player will now be hitting 21-25 age range and many will have worked with or been around Jolley before so will know how he works. What strikes me with MJ is that he earns respect of players and doesn't demand it.

One thing that may scupper us is his imposed rule of all players moving to within an hour of Grimsby... Will this put some players off?

All points to an exciting summer IMO!

We are a club out on a limb geographically speaking. In the lower leagues there arent many on 2+ year contracts so he is going to have problems getting players over the line for us who have families settled in say Lancashire who have offers from clubs close at hand who wont move to E Lincs for a 1 year contract or even 2. L2 dont do 3 year contracts.

Shouldnt think there are many clubs within a 1 hour journey of Grimsby. Perhaps someone could tell us as im not local now.
Its OK having principles but if we stay in L2 the fans will expect us to challenge for promotion next season and telling them we cant get the players we need wont go down very well because of this rule.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 49
moosey_club
April 22, 2018, 3:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

One thing that may scupper us is his imposed rule of all players moving to within an hour of Grimsby.
.. Will this put some players off?

They could fly into Humberside airport which would widen the 1hr radius  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 49
Mariner93er
April 22, 2018, 4:59pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
I wonder if we'll see him sign players like fox who have played in sweden. I imagine there are some good players who are on the same money as league 2 players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 49
forza ivano
April 22, 2018, 6:29pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,156
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Mariner93er
I wonder if we'll see him sign players like fox who have played in sweden. I imagine there are some good players who are on the same money as league 2 players.

Think he's already intimated that we are likely to see some new recruits from Scandinavia although he did say that the biggest problem would be persuading players to drop down to our level
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 49
Mrs Doyle
April 22, 2018, 8:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Another thing that stands out about Mike Jolley is he seems a class act at P.R. Even ole Dave Burns seemed knocked off guard by his honest and polite retorts.  

The answer he gave to the "He did not know whether he would even be here." was a classic example. He said it was given in the context that a job with any club in football can be a very temporary appointment.

I believe this was the case and not a hint that he felt he did not know he was in or out of a job after this season, thus giving people ammunition to slag the board off. (Fenty should take note here) very diplomatic Mr. Jolley.

Matt Deans quick-fire questions could easily get your back up especially as he tries to go round the houses looking for a different answer to the same question hoping to catch him out lol.

Jolley is too clever for that Denno lol.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 49
Limerick Mariner
April 22, 2018, 8:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from TheGoalKipper

We are a club out on a limb geographically speaking. In the lower leagues there arent many on 2+ year contracts so he is going to have problems getting players over the line for us who have families settled in say Lancashire who have offers from clubs close at hand who wont move to E Lincs for a 1 year contract or even 2. L2 dont do 3 year contracts.

Shouldnt think there are many clubs within a 1 hour journey of Grimsby. Perhaps someone could tell us as im not local now.
Its OK having principles but if we stay in L2 the fans will expect us to challenge for promotion next season and telling them we cant get the players we need wont go down very well because of this rule.

Up until the last couple of seasons there were only Scunthorpe and Donny, now everywhere in the country is only an hour from hordes of Lincoln fans so I guess they must be within an hour now...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 49
acko338
April 22, 2018, 9:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,222
Gold Stars: 33
Jolley fixed the left back position as a 1st priority even in the free agent period. What perhaps will he be able to achieve given a crack of the whip with an equal chance? He sounds like he already has a wish list drawn up - probably from Burnley days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 49
chelseacity
April 22, 2018, 10:25pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +364
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from grimsby pete
MJ  will want to prove himself here before he moves on he will not want to leave before a promotion,

So once we know we are safe ( next week ) take him off that silly 6 month contract and give him a 4 year one,

When we will have gained a promotion  we will get some compensation for him.

Keep him on a 6 month and we will get next to nothing.

I hope he will want to turn this club round and get us into a feared force once again,

Top half of  L1 or even championship and the big clubs will come calling for him.

Pete !  it's giving managers & players long term contracts that have brought football clubs & some public limited companies to their financial knees, i like MJ, but if things take a turn for the worse then paying someone off to leave the club or a company can ruin them, i like the 6 month rolling contract which allows flexibility for both parties, but it also keeps both parties looking to remain successful, being tied in usually means a big pay off for the manager if all goes wrong with no incentive to make things go right if they want away as it's a big pay off, MJ worked in the City & Wall street, your only as good as your last deal yesterday in that arena, you have to be a winner every day or your out, no contracts only the ones you sell & make a profit on, that's why he will do well here, he knows how to deal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 49
HertsGTFC
April 22, 2018, 10:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Funny this thread, I sense if we don;t get the 2 points we need that some posters will show how fickle fans actually are.

MJ "gets it" and he will have more success at GTFC but whether thats in League 2 or the National League still remains to be seen. He's energetic, clever, humble, approachable, sincere and hungry IMHO he's the perfect fit.

I also like at the final whistle yesterday and during the game there was now "Cowley type" leaping around on the touch line like a "competitive dad" just measured professionalism.

His first objective is yet to be achieved, maybe he'll land it maybe he won't but this lad needs our backing as he has been brave enough to take on someone else's fcuk up on and off the pitch.

If we stay up he'll take us forward if we go down he;ll do the same.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Michael Jolley Appreciation Thread!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.