Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Michael Jolley Appreciation Thread!
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 140 Guests

Michael Jolley Appreciation Thread!

This thread currently has 9,320 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
wigworld
April 22, 2018, 9:05am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 29
Agree with everything said so far. Only thing I'm a little worried about is how his recruitment will be over the Summer. Hurst unearthed some gems, and Bignot had a pool of good conference players to draw on. But I feel Jolley might struggle in this area without some support.

Sadly, Wilko is not someone I trust with this after last Summer's recruits. I'm also not sure what exactly he brings to the table at the moment. Would desparately like him to be successful at his home town club, but so far he hasn't cut it for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 49
dapperz fun pub
April 22, 2018, 9:12am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from wigworld
Agree with everything said so far. Only thing I'm a little worried about is how his recruitment will be over the Summer. Hurst unearthed some gems, and Bignot had a pool of good conference players to draw on. But I feel Jolley might struggle in this area without some support.

Sadly, Wilko is not someone I trust with this after last Summer's recruits. I'm also not sure what exactly he brings to the table at the moment. Would desparately like him to be successful at his home town club, but so far he hasn't cut it for me.

Jolley was a under 23 premier league coach not that long ago, I think his knowledge of good young players based in the north will be second to none. As for Paul Wilkinson like other ex players still hanging around the club in some capacity get them out and fresh eyes in. Until change is implemented throughout moving forward will be difficult
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 49
TheRealJohnLewis
April 22, 2018, 9:59am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
He's impressed me so far, I just hope his recruitment is up to the same standards of his tactics and man management.  It'll be a fantastic achievement to keep us up this year, but we will only really know the true talent of this man if we hit playoffs next year.  For me, that is the minimum we should expect.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 49
Mighty_Mariner
April 22, 2018, 10:33am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
I think Jolleys recruitment strategy will be a squad full of youth and pace. As others have said his knowledge of the under-23rd scene over the past few years will be excellent, some of those player will now be hitting 21-25 age range and many will have worked with or been around Jolley before so will know how he works. What strikes me with MJ is that he earns respect of players and doesn't demand it.

One thing that may scupper us is his imposed rule of all players moving to within an hour of Grimsby... Will this put some players off?

All points to an exciting summer IMO!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 49
April 22, 2018, 10:49am
Guest User
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
I think Jolleys recruitment strategy will be a squad full of youth and pace. As others have said his knowledge of the under-23rd scene over the past few years will be excellent, some of those player will now be hitting 21-25 age range and many will have worked with or been around Jolley before so will know how he works. What strikes me with MJ is that he earns respect of players and doesn't demand it.

One thing that may scupper us is his imposed rule of all players moving to within an hour of Grimsby... Will this put some players off?

I think/hope the rule will put off the players we don't need when we're trying to rebuild a genuine, local football club.
No commuting journeymen needed here, thank you.

I'm trying not to luv MJ too much (Post-Newell Syndrome), but he's not making it very easy for me when he comes out with stuff in interviews like:
                                                     “Philosophy is a very dangerous word when you are 22nd in League Two”

Confucius eat your heart out....  
Reply: 14 - 49
grimsby pete
April 22, 2018, 11:07am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
MJ  will want to prove himself here before he moves on he will not want to leave before a promotion,

So once we know we are safe ( next week ) take him off that silly 6 month contract and give him a 4 year one,

When we will have gained a promotion  we will get some compensation for him.

Keep him on a 6 month and we will get next to nothing.

I hope he will want to turn this club round and get us into a feared force once again,

Top half of  L1 or even championship and the big clubs will come calling for him.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 49
cmackenzie4
April 22, 2018, 12:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
We have our very own Pochejolley  

He’s done a fantastic job and long may it continue.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 49
rancido
April 22, 2018, 12:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from grimsby pete
MJ  will want to prove himself here before he moves on he will not want to leave before a promotion,

So once we know we are safe ( next week ) take him off that silly 6 month contract and give him a 4 year one,

When we will have gained a promotion  we will get some compensation for him.

Keep him on a 6 month and we will get next to nothing.

I hope he will want to turn this club round and get us into a feared force once again,

Top half of  L1 or even championship and the big clubs will come calling for him.

I agree but I think a 4 year contract is stretching it a bit. I think a 3 year would be more realistic. Give him next season to build a squad pushing for promotion but a more realistic view is promotion in his second full season. If that is achieved then his contract can be further extended. Once next season is over then the whole squad will be his own and then we will see what he is really capable of.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 49
KingstonMariner
April 22, 2018, 12:37pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from wigworld

I don't think he will struggle. He's an intelligent man who clearly analyses each situation and determines his strategy. He'll be aware of any shortfalls in knowledge and worked out a way of dealing with it. And as someone else said, he was under 23 coach for 3 years at Burnely.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 49
grimsby pete
April 22, 2018, 1:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from rancido

I agree but I think a 4 year contract is stretching it a bit. I think a 3 year would be more realistic. Give him next season to build a squad pushing for promotion but a more realistic view is promotion in his second full season. If that is achieved then his contract can be further extended. Once next season is over then the whole squad will be his own and then we will see what he is really capable of.

That would be ok as long as we do not let him get into the last year of his deal,

We will want a bit of compo so we could attract the next guy.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Michael Jolley Appreciation Thread!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.